Why would Jackson take the Wonderlic test and not - -

Punt75

- - - run the 40 yard dash at the NFL combine or at his recent Pro Day??? 

ALL the combine events are optional.  Why take a test that has been proven to be very culturally & racially biased based on an individuals education and life experiences at a young age?  All NFL executives know this but get a bit nervous picking a team leader (QB) with a low score.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

ALL the combine events are optional.  Why take a test that has been proven to be very culturally & racially biased based on an individuals education and life experiences at a young age?  All NFL executives know this but get a bit nervous picking a team leader (QB) with a low score.

There is a reason why he scored a 13....just sayin!

18 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

Jackson did not want NFL decision makers to have a 40 time to look at.  He wants them to evaluate him as a QB, not a guy who can beat feet with the ball tucked in his arm.

The Wonderlic score is not seen as optional for QB, for whatever reason.  It's the sort of test where up to a point, test-taking strategy and practice can help you, but if you don't have enough background in the kind of math and problem solving on the test, you're not going to nail it.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

I think it was a bad decision not to run and showcase something that the other QB's could not match. The complexity of a NFL playbook and defensive looks might require a high wonderlic, I think it is becoming more important each year.  

I still cannot believe his mother is his agent, just lots of poor decisions.

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jackson did not want NFL decision makers to have a 40 time to look at.  He wants them to evaluate him as a QB, not a guy who can beat feet with the ball tucked in his arm.

The Wonderlic score is not seen as optional for QB, for whatever reason.  It's the sort of test where up to a point, test-taking strategy and practice can help you, but if you don't have enough background in the kind of math and problem solving on the test, you're not going to nail it.

It is a goofy test.

I just tried taking 4 of them on line and they all timed out. I never got past 15 questions or so out of the 50 they wanted to ask. It seems you are limited to 12 minutes. I get most questions right but score bad as I don't get too far. No NFL QB brain in my head I guess.

On IQ tests online I score super high. Weirdly high. Disturbingly high as no one can be that smart and I know I am not an Einstein. I do well as I am a good expert test taker, know a little about a lot of subjects, have a great memory, and for some unknown reason retain all sorts of useless trivial knowledge. But they also do not have a time limit.

Edited by cba fan

The Wonderlic doesn't mean much, sure it might make teams value him one notch less but if a team believes a QB is a top 10 player and that player falls to the early second round some team isn't going to take a shot and trade up to take him for a modest price? I think Jackson at worst falls to the early 2nd. I actually like Jackson as a prospect and I think that if the Bills can get him at 12 they should consider it and if he is there at 22 and they took a non-QB pick 12 then they should take Jackson at 22. I think Arizona would take him at 15 no matter what. 

Jackson is a bit project but the Bills have AJ a smart QB. AJ functioned well under Saban a notoriously demanding coach and played 4 years in the NFL under a respected veteran coach Marvin Lewis who has had some decent success in Cincy with 7 playoff appearances. I think AJ can manage the game well enough for a season or two to let Jackson work on his fundamentals a bit more. 

The Bills have enough drafts picks to take a chance if all the other QB options fall out. 

I love Lamar Jackson as a football player, he is so dynamic and fun to watch, he also seems like a really good kid.

Not hiring an agent is going to cost him millions and millions of dollars.

Agents do so much more than negotiate a contract, and he is finding that out quite quickly.

If you were going to court in a case that could cost you millions, if not tens of millions of dollars

would you not hire a lawyers to protect and advocate for your interests?

Moms can be a great resource, but an NFL agent/lawyer they do not make.

37 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Because John from Riverside, skycap, NewEra, Alphadawg and Pete told him he didn't need to - his game film "speaks for itself."

His game speed speaks for itself,  it does. He’s fast.  Is shaquiem griffin fast?  How fast?  Is he 4.38 fast?  Or is he 4.58 fast?  Hard to say how fast considering he ran both.  Training to run a 40 is a complete waste of his time. Instead of spending his time on a track, with track coaches trying to teach him how to time a start so he can try run 2 40 yard dashes and never again.......he was trying to be a better qb.  

Im not saying he going to be a star, but him not running the 40 will not hurt him imo.  Not sure why he took the wonderlic.

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think it was a bad decision not to run and showcase something that the other QB's could not match. The complexity of a NFL playbook and defensive looks might require a high wonderlic, I think it is becoming more important each year.  

I still cannot believe his mother is his agent, just lots of poor decisions..

Wowwww, his mother is his agent??  Uhhh, perhaps she went to school and majored in Sports Management or something?  or, really knows her stuff inside and OKAY OKAY LET ME JUST STOP THERE....WTH?  That's certainly a head scratcher in MY opinion!  Lucky for Lamar, that's all it is, is my opinion.  Not that i don't think she could learn the job well, and perhaps even be a good one, but couldn't he have gotten her a better job somewhere??  Like VP of Customer Experience, or Quality Control Executive?   Nice, corner office with a big nice desk, super sweet big and comfy chair....kinda doesn't really answer to anyone, but also doesn't really help anyone either...like Butch McCrae's mom on Blue Chips..

52 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

It's absolutely not biased against young people. It is biased racially though.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There’s a pretty wide gap between nailing it and what he got. As a college kid it should be a cake walk to land in the 20s with just minutes of prep work with your agent. 

That said- if he slides far enough and we didn’t burn picks trading up.... I wouldn’t haaaate taking someone like mayfield around 12 or a minor trade up, and then a guy like Jackson later day two. 

If talking about dedicating serious picks to get to 2 and that doesn’t work maybe taking two swings that each cost less could be an option

just to spitball how you could see things land in that scenario:

12 & a 3rd — mayfield

22– linebacker 

2 — wr

2 — if a qb like Jackson is sliding because there were so many free agents and high picks maybe I think about it 

3- RB

Roll into the season with mayfield and McCarron fighting and let Jackson be very low pressure with peterman on the practice squad at that point. I’m not arguing it’s likely but sometimes QBs go slower than expected when fans love them more than GMs really do. It can be hard to tell.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Punt75 said:

What the what?  He has been in college for 3 years right?  Enough with the stupidness.  Unfair?  His education should be at the college junior level.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, cba fan said:

It is a goofy test.

I just tried taking 4 of them on line and they all timed out. I never got past 15 questions or so out of the 50 they wanted to ask. It seems you are limited to 12 minutes. I get most questions right but score bad as I don't get too far. No NFL QB brain in my head I guess.

On IQ tests online I score super high. Weirdly high. Disturbingly high as no one can be that smart and I know I am not an Einstein. I do well as I am a good expert test taker, know a little about a lot of subjects, have a great memory, and for some unknown reason retain all sorts of useless trivial knowledge. But they also do not have a time limit.

Or online iq tests aim to be complimentary so you’ll share results and friends click

if a great test taker why are you spending a minute per question on a tightly timed test? You should fly through what you quickly know instead of bogging down in working things out. It’s the easiest advice possible and why I said with minutes of coaching there’s little excuse for a college kid to be in the teens 

• Like (+1) 5

25 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I still cannot believe his mother is his agent, just lots of poor decisions.

PER SI  " Lamar Jackson told me that his mom is not his agent, “she is my manager” and he added “I represent myself.” Jackson told me he does not think an agent is necessary with the current rookie scale for initial #NFL contracts. "

I have a feeling this young man is going to be a "no where man" in the NFL.