Bucky Brooks: Book on Lamar Jackson

42 minutes ago, BuffaloSol said:

He is getting similar treatment from real scouts as Tebow did who also a Heisman trophy and had outrageous numbers both passing and rushing and Tebow(a 170 qbr in college compared to lamars 142)got picked late first, lamar has more potential than Tebow. It's clear that most scouts are worried about fixing his accuracy, mechanics, etc or he would be the number 1 pick. Lamar seems like a leader with alot more speed than Tebow. Though their game is not that similar their heisman trophy past and great college careers elevates their draft stock, but scouts didn't have them at the top of the draft class. He should go mid first for his potential, in fact he will probably be motivated even more if he is picked later, but he does have to work on accuracy, inconsistancy and fix some mechanics, which I am sure he has potential to fix and will still get picked top 15 even with teams knowing that.  

Crazy how hard it is to evaluate players! Tebow was a Heisman trophy winner and what a QBR!  He took his team to a playoff win, yet no team will give him a sniff and he's now playing baseball. EJ had great accuracy in collge (!). Now for almost all the top QBs in this draft opinions are all over the place. I don't recall seeing that before to that extent. If the Bills can't trade up or much, and Jackson happens to be available, a QB IS worth the risk for the team's top pick. A failure is a failure, and it can happen at other positions too, but a winner at QB sure makes up for it!

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Oh I hope your not comparing Tim Tebow to Jackson.. its not even close.

Did you read my post? I clearly was talking about the great college careers but, scouts seeing flaws in their transition to NFL have them mid to late first as a grade.

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This pro day will be huge for him. He’s a guy that, like Allen, has an enormous ceiling and a low floor. If he has a big day he could slide into the top 10. If he has a poor day he could fall to the end of round 1, maybe even round 2.

That may end up working out for us......

Getting him in the 20's would be a huge steal

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

and you add 5% you put him right around the middle of the NFL league average. There were plenty of Franchise QB's that came out of college with a bad acc. rate and turned out great. I think your picking on a horrific stat instead of looking at the whole picture.

EDITED

EJ Manuel ended his college career with excellent accuracy.. tell me how did that work out?  things change in NFL for the good or bad. again I think looking purely on acc. is a bad move.

Manuel wasn't actually that accurate in college. Those Florida State teams were LOADED (eg., Devonte Freeman, Kelvin Benjamin, Nick O'Leary), and given that opponents (almost all markedly inferior in terms of talent) pretty much always played zone against them, someone was wide open on pretty much every play.  Christian Ponder was pretty accurate in his final two seasons, and Winston was at 66 percent in both of his seasons too. 

When Manuel had to play against real defenses in the NFL, the lack of accuracy became apparent. 

27 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

again. EJ WAS mechanically sound coming out.. it doesn't transfer to NFL caliber it just doesn't. I get where you coming from I really do but there is more involved with accuracy then the QB throwing the ball.

Oh I hope your not comparing Tim Tebow to Jackson.. its not even close.

Your right on, Tebow was and is far superior to Jackson. Tebow has actually won a big game, played in the NFL and won a playoff game.

7 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I will be absolutely blown away if Jackson is even drafted in the 2nd rd. 

He won't make it out of top20

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ll book that bet for you. I’ll give 3:1 he is gone before the 3rd. Hell, I’ll give 10:1. That’s free money.

Ez money

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

That's a good take. It's hard to justify spending the 12th pick on him.

If they get a LB or OL at 12 and Jackson at 22, that will be a great 1st round, IMO.

If you think the QB is worthy of a first round pick, especially at 22, but you also have a pick at #12 then you just take him at #12. You don't mess around with the QB position. He's either good enough or not. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

You are right about Manual. 68% completion. Kind of comical when you think of his happy feet check downs.

to me, I want someone who is already mechanically sound. That should translate into a good accuracy percentage. If the scouts say that Lamar is mechanically great and his accuracy issues are due to WR drops, then I am fine with it. I just think it is hard to try to change guys mechanics in the NFL. 

He's not mechanically sound.  Inconsistent footwork, and he's kind of awkward when throwing on the run.  He has a really live arm for someone who doesn't use their legs and core to really drive it.  

Honestly the vision and pocket presence are both pretty solid though, and he has next level athleticism.  

Edited by dneveu

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He's not running 40 at pro day. 

The only thing stopping me from being all in on him at 12 is how terribly he has handled the draft process.  I do not know how he will handle being a professional athlete and face of a franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Manuel wasn't actually that accurate in college. Those Florida State teams were LOADED (eg., Devonte Freeman, Kelvin Benjamin, Nick O'Leary), and given that opponents (almost all markedly inferior in terms of talent) pretty much always played zone against them, someone was wide open on pretty much every play.  Christian Ponder was pretty accurate in his final two seasons, and Winston was at 66 percent in both of his seasons too. 

When Manuel had to play against real defenses in the NFL, the lack of accuracy became apparent. 

we are not talking about specific games so it really doesn't matter does it? we were talking about over all average.

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

we are not talking about specific games so it really doesn't matter does it? we were talking about over all average.

yes, i know. All of those FSU QBs were "accurate" using completion percentage as a measure because someone was literally WIDE OPEN on almost every play. Those teams were loaded. Over a four-year period between 2012 and 2015, 33 FSU players were drafted, and 13 in the first two rounds. 

Edited by dave mcbride

“Lamar opted not to sign an agent, as he did not want them to take a cut of his first contract. He told Denver 9News’ Mike Klis he did not hire an agent, because he did not want them to “take a cut of my paycheck and I feel I deserve it.”

This judgement and his mom’s influence and involvement with this decision leads me to believe there’s a big red flag on this guy as part of “the process.”  If he can’t see the benefits of a good pro agent at the most important time in his life how can he see the bigger picture in “the process”. Nice to see a very supportive family dynamic but he can waive the first round good-bye and enjoy 100% of your second round pay scale to anyone but the Bills. 

Edited by tannins
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If you think the QB is worthy of a first round pick, especially at 22, but you also have a pick at #12 then you just take him at #12. You don't mess around with the QB position. He's either good enough or not. 

Nope, that's called overreaching. Then you miss out on an even better player at 12. 

You stick to the value you have set for the player. 

this thread is comical.  Lamar Jackson will make a ton of big plays in the NFL and offenses run by Jackson will score points.

Will he be an elite NFL QB?  Prob not.  How many 1st round QBs turn into elite QBs vs how many are drafted?   

This draft reminds me of 1999.  5 QBs taken in top 12, different skill sets, most were total busts.    

Image result

Edited by Bill Murray

43 minutes ago, tannins said:

“Lamar opted not to sign an agent, as he did not want them to take a cut of his first contract. He told Denver 9News’ Mike Klis he did not hire an agent, because he did not want them to “take a cut of my paycheck and I feel I deserve it.”

This judgement and his mom’s influence and involvement with this decision leads me to believe there’s a big red flag on this guy as part of “the process.”  If he can’t see the benefits of a good pro agent at the most important time in his life how can he see the bigger picture in “the process”. Nice to see a very supportive family dynamic but he can waive the first round good-bye and enjoy 100% of your second round pay scale to anyone but the Bills. 

Which will have nothing to do with how good of a player he is going to become

If anything...it could help us get him in the 20's of the draft which is ok by me

15 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Mike Vick says Jackson is 5x better than he ever was, yet scouts don’t seem to like him. 

Well, that's a lie.

Vick was drafted in 2001.  Defensive schemes are more complex and teams won't be caught so off guard like they were when Vick hit the league. 

We're talking 17 years!  The game has changed.

Edited by Chicken Boo