Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

McCarron could become a Case Keenum type for the year and surprise us all. If we use our picks and add weapons to the offense and defense I don't see why we couldn't make a run if he plays decent. 3,500 yards 20 td 10 pick type year with an improved defense and solid run game just might do it.

Case Keenum was supported greatly by outstanding weapons on offense with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph along with a very good run game with Murray and McKinnon.   McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert  and he wasn't even close to being as effective as Keenum.  Now how do you suppose he'll look with a severely limited arsenal?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Case Keenum was supported greatly by outstanding weapons on offense with Thielen, Diggs, Rudolph along with a very good run game with Murray and McKinnon.   McCarron played with AJ Green, Marvin Jones, Mohamed Sanu, and Tyler Eifert  and he wasn't even close to being as effective as Keenum.  Now how do you suppose he'll look with a severely limited arsenal?

I am saying take the Picks we have if we are not getting a QB and load up with talent to surround him. Maybe a Calvin Ridley at 12? He hasn't played in that many games yet to where I am comfortable in saying he couldn't be the answer. He has been up and down.

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I am saying take the Picks we have if we are not getting a QB and load up with talent to surround him. Maybe a Calvin Ridley at 12? He hasn't played in that many games yet to where I am comfortable in saying he couldn't be the answer. He has been up and down.

You don't build around QBs like McCarron.  He's in Buffalo to keep the seat warm. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

all you nay sayers ...  lets all cry    WE'RE DOOMED !!!!!    

I've chimed in on the naysayer side but I don't think we're doomed.

First of all, Mccarron doesn't have a lot of NFL experience as a starter and we've never seen him play in a Daboll system.  He may excel here.  We just don't know.  

Second of all, we might draft a future HOFer who lines up under center and throws for 400 yards in a win on opening day.  Until we know who our QB is - and how good he is - why would anyone say we're doomed?

As of right now, though, I don't believe there's a lot of compelling reasons to believe Mccarron is a playoff caliber QB.  There's just not a lot in his NFL resume to support that proposition.  But I'm not saying we're doomed.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dbflaBill said:

This team shouldnt of been in the playoffs last year. Overall there is no talent on this team. McCoy is the only player worth a damn, and history says hes inline for a below average year this year. 

That's the spirit. 

I really think we are. AJ, more so than Tyrod, should be able to force the defense to respect the pass so they can't key in on the running game / Shady. Hopefully that opens up the offense and lets Shady do even more damage. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes, he has to prove himself as a Buffalo Bill.   The same "achievements" this seasons crop of potential QBs has,  AJ also accomplished plus he has NFL experience.  

I expected the Bills to make the playoffs in 15, 16 and 17.   Now with what I hope to be an improvement over TT I again expect the Bills to make the playoffs.

Proof?  I don't have any  (other than my complaining about TT was correct.  He wasn't good enough to remain on the team).    

You are a bit optimistic I think haha. I hope they make the playoffs but I don't think they will next year.

Correct about TT? Were you correct that you stated he is not a franchise guy? For sure as I think all of us acknowledged that.

Correct about him being an awful QB?I would say not at all with all due respect. If anything, the browns giving the 65rd pick off the board and multiple teams wanting to trade for TT as their starter would say to me that you were incorrect about how low you valued him. 

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've chimed in on the naysayer side but I don't think we're doomed.

First of all, Mccarron doesn't have a lot of NFL experience as a starter and we've never seen him play in a Daboll system.  He may excel here.  We just don't know.  

Second of all, we might draft a future HOFer who lines up under center and throws for 400 yards in a win on opening day.  Until we know who our QB is - and how good he is - why would anyone say we're doomed?

As of right now, though, I don't believe there's a lot of compelling reasons to believe Mccarron is a playoff caliber QB.  There's just not a lot in his NFL resume to support that proposition.  But I'm not saying we're doomed.  

I know that with you Hondo.  It was shortsighted of me to come off as all inclusive.   

I want to be the cup half full and hope for the best.   

I sure was dreading TT staying on in 18, now I have some hope back.  I Trust the Process.  

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

You are a bit optimistic I think haha. I hope they make the playoffs but I don't think they will next year.

Correct about TT? Were you correct that you stated he is not a franchise guy? For sure as I think all of us acknowledged that.

Correct about him being an awful QB?I would say not at all with all due respect. If anything, the browns giving the 65rd pick off the board and multiple teams wanting to trade for TT as their starter would say to me that you were incorrect about how low you valued him. 

I knew he wasn't the answer midway through 2016 and people called me a hater for it

I knew he wasn't the answer in 17 and people called me a hater for it  and claimed I had an agenda against him.  (credit the now perma banned jm2009) 

I never said he was awful, but that he had 4 awful games this past season, which is twice as bad as past seasons.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

I Think We Are But May Not Be A Super Bowl Contender.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good point.

Dalton had a 106.2 passer rating that year.  Mccarron  had a 97.1 - nearly 10 points lower with the same line and receivers.

What's more concerning is that Dalton was only sacked on 4.9% of his dropbacks that year while Mccarron was sacked on 9.2% of his.

I think you can chalk a lot of that up to experience, or lack of.  Dalton was in his 5th year vs the first starts of AJ's career. 2015 was also Dalton's best statistical year, the only time he had a rating > 100; most of the time he's been under 90. I really like that AJ was able to comeback in the playoff game @Pitt.  For a guy who was essentially getting his 4th career start, that's impressive.

46 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I know that with you Hondo.  It was shortsighted of me to come off as all inclusive.   

I want to be the cup half full and hope for the best.   

I sure was dreading TT staying on in 18, now I have some hope back.  I Trust the Process.  

No worries, Shady.   I always read your posts because I know you're an informed poster with good reasoning.  We just disagreed on this.  

I used to be the optimist who always tried to find reasons to believe the Bills will be competitive.   And right now the optimist in me wants to believe those who say Mccarron is the QB we've been looking for and we don't need to look any further.

The pessimist in me wants to draft QBs all day long until one proves himself a worthy successor to Jim Kelly.  

I'm trying to be more of a realist these days and the realist in me is somewhere in between the two extremes.  I acknowledge the possibility that Mccarron may be better than some think.  I certainly like the kid's attitude.  But until we have a proven answer (and at this point Mccarron is neither a proven success nor a proven failure), we've got to spend some of our draft capital on a QB.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This line of thinking that AJ hasn't proven anything is way over stated.  The guy has a long history of winning championships.  Folks act like the NFL is the only place where the game of football is played. Is there even one other QB in the league that has won back to back college championships? Oh, I know, college ain't the NFL. But those championships ain't nothing. Honestly, I think Bills fans are more pessimistic about QBs than any team except maybe Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 1