Benjamin contract

With Elite WR signing such large contracts, where does KB fit? Hes above a Woods like contract, but not sure hes worth Devante Adams money. I fear He'll get paid like Watkins, and unfortunately that would price himself out of Buffalo.. This team needs a big possession WR like KB, but I don't think hes an elite WR. 

2 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

With Elite WR signing such large contracts, where does KB fit? Hes above a Woods like contract, but not sure hes worth Devante Adams money. I fear He'll get paid like Watkins, and unfortunately that would price himself out of Buffalo.. This team needs a big possession WR like KB, but I don't think hes an elite WR. 

At some point they have to pay someone and assuming KB has a good season I would expect Buffalo to. He is a solid typically consistent performer and seems to be a culture guy like McD would like. Personally I think they wanted Woods and had the capspace had been like 2019 is shaping to be he would've still been here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

I want to see if he can stay healthy next season first. How he produces in Daboll's offense with (hopefully) better QB play. 

I can easily see him getting a nice contract from Buffalo. We do have a nice chunk of cap space next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Here's a list of WR salaries, https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

I put Benjamin in the Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Allen Robinson range but no lower than Keenan Allen, All of them #1s but very good but just not elite. 

KB isn’t close to those guys. His production has gone down every year of his career and he struggles to stay healthy.  He struggles to get separation.  He would be a good #2.  Unless he has a monster year, you let him walk.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

KB isn’t close to those guys. His production has gone down every year of his career and he struggles to stay healthy.  He struggles to get separation.  He would be a good #2.  Unless he has a monster year, you let him walk.  

Agreed... unfortunately his best attribute 'size and catch radius' has caused him to be very injury prone over the past couple seasons... I'd be surprised if he plays in all 16 games next year.  I think this may come down to a miss when looking back on the trade.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Im more incline to agree with you. Hes really just a big body. Cant get separation and needs a speed WR or a strong number 1 to put up good numbers. Letting him walk is somewhat scary as this team has no WR, and the third round pick would really be in handy right now. I say max 8mil/yr, anymore they got to let him go. 

All comes down to the season he has. If he goes out there and remains healthy, puts up 900-1100 yards, he'll get PAID by someone (hopefully the Bills). If he's hurt and has another sub par year, he's probably looking at a short term deal in the 6-7M range. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I tend to agree with you. Benjamin isn’t the “difference maker” that those other guys are. He isn’t explosive enough. If he’d take 4 years $40M with $20M guaranteed (or something like that) I would be good with it. If he starts creeping up in AAV though I’d move on. 

Maybe we should try throwing the ball in a position that doesn't leave him vulnerable and exposed so he doesn't get hurt all the time. An accurate QB can make all the difference. If he stays healthy and we put a Rosen or Darnold back there he could absolutely have a monster year. Separation is not the way he plays the game and even if he is cloaked his size makes him a matchup nightmare. I would love to throw to that guy jump ball after jump ball and let him go up and get it.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I tend to agree with you. Benjamin isn’t the “difference maker” that those other guys are. He isn’t explosive enough. If he’d take 4 years $40M with $20M guaranteed (or something like that) I would be good with it. If he starts creeping up in AAV though I’d move on. 

There's no way KB signs for less than $14M AAV.

Trust me, I'm never wrong on WR deals.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Maybe we should try throwing the ball in a position that doesn't leave him vulnerable and exposed so he doesn't get hurt all the time. An accurate QB can make all the difference. If he stays healthy and we put a Rosen or Darnold back there he could absolutely have a monster year. Separation is not the way he plays the game and even if he is cloaked his size makes him a matchup nightmare. I would love to throw to that guy jump ball after jump ball and let him go up and get it.

He was hurt in Carolina, he was hurt at FSU. So its always been the QB fault that hes been hurt?

12 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Here's a list of WR salaries, https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

I put Benjamin in the Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Allen Robinson range but no lower than Keenan Allen, All of them #1s but very good but just not elite. 

I would take everyone of those guys before KB, except dez because hes just a headache. i dont think hes even in the same class as those guys. KB is a #2 not close to a #1. While he showed flashes his rookie year he has not performed even close any other year. I think we need to draft a guy.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

There's no way KB signs for less than $14M AAV.

Trust me, I'm never wrong on WR deals.

Ha ha ha, well played!!!

I think that you are right though. He will be trying to get in that range. My guess is that (if healthy) he will be around 1,000 yards and 8 TDs. That gets you paid. 

HaTE to say something negative about a Bills player, but I think he’s only going to get more and more broken.  I believe this will be his last season with the Bills unless he takes a discount to stay.  Dudes knees are probably filled with gout.  Just kidding about the gout, but they’ve taken a beating and will continue to. 

He's on a 5th year option for a reasonable salary this year. In 2019, it could be a different story, bit not necessarily. The Bills have little cap $$ dedicated to the WR position. Even if they draft a WR high this year or next, that player won't be taking up much cap space. Benjamin needs to produce to get paid, and last years injuries ( and Tyrod) make it tough to evaluate him. He's not an outside WR that beats you deep. If he produces though, he can still fit in Buffalo's salary structure at a higher salary. You have to look at what they are paying out to WRs as a whole , which is not much. It shouldn't be , as they have practically no talent at the position. A big FA addition next season could change that. But that doesn't seem to fit this FO MO, especially if you see what top FA WRs such as Watkins are getting on the open market. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

KB has injury questions.  That (too me) means two things.  He should want to sign a long term contract now and the longer it goes without a long term contract the more we will pay.  And, the Bills may not want to pay a big contract based on injury questions.  

The sooner it gets done the less the contract will be.

If we sign him before the season starts and he doesn't get hurt this year we will have a good deal.

If we don't sign him before the season starts he will enter FA (most likely).

It really is KB and the Bills wager at this point on health.  Hopefully we both win!

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I want to see if he can stay healthy next season first. How he produces in Daboll's offense with (hopefully) better QB play. 

I can easily see him getting a nice contract from Buffalo. We do have a nice chunk of cap space next year. 

Agreed. 

Can he stay healthy? 

Can he produce in a Daboll offense?  

Will he have chemistry with our new QB?

These questions need to be answered.

Edited by hondo in seattle