3-26: Brandon Beane Speaks at the Owners Meetings in Orlando - Talking to a Lot of Teams

QUICK HITS: BEANE TALKING TO LOTS OF TEAMS
Bills GM Brandon Beane is at the owners meetings in Orlando, and has been talking with several NFL clubs. He's also spoken to Zay Jones and assures that there's time to address the receiver position.

BEANE: "OUR FOCUS IS ON BUILDING THE ROSTER" (12:41)
Bills GM Brandon Beane spoke to the media at the 2018 NFL Owners' Meetings in Orlando, Florida. Beane discussed some of the team's recent transactions and how the team is preparing for the draft.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters at the owners meetings Monday about the possibility of trading up, "I know that's the speculation. ... We really have a lot of discussions with a lot of teams about all sorts of things. ... Right now, we're just focused on 12. We're excited. Excited to be at 12, and I think we're going to get a really good player there."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Frodak_mike.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropMike Rodak, ESPN Staff Writer

Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters at the owners meetings Monday that he and coach Sean McDermott spoke with WR Zay Jones after he was arrested and later cleared from a vandalism charge. "He'll be back in Buffalo soon. It's an unfortunate situation, is probably the best way to phrase it. It was a private conversation between me, Sean and Zay, and I'm just going to leave it there."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Frodak_mike.png&w=80&h=80&scale=cropMike Rodak, ESPN Staff Writer

Just now, PIZ said:

What does he mean by this?

I think he means if they try to facilitate a two part deal to get up high enough to get the QB they want, they might not be able to make the 2nd part happen thereby leaving them "stuck". 

Asked about trading up into the top five of the draft, Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters at the owners meetings Monday, "We wouldn't do it not knowing we wouldn't get someone we were willing to go up there for."

• Like (+1) 1

Asked Monday at the owners meetings about the Bills' depth at receiver, general manager Brandon Beane told reporters, "It's like any position. I know people -- I was asked about it earlier, too. We're always looking to find fits and bring competition at receiver and other positions. ... It's a 12-month process to build this roster. We have to make sure we have the team the way we want it [in September]. There's always an anxiety, sometimes from people in our own building, like, 'Hey, we got to get this, we got to get this.' There are plenty of times where guys come available after the draft, in June. We saw it last year at receiver with [Jeremy] Maclin and [Eric] Decker. ... So we still got a lot of time."

Asked how many quarterback prospects the Bills have privately worked out, general manager Brandon Beane told reporters Monday, "at least three," and then said, laughing, "Three have been reported out there, so I'm just gonna say three and stick with that."

Asked about trading up twice in the first round of April's draft, Bills general manager Brandon Beane told reporters at the owners meetings Monday, "I don't know. That is complex. Because you would have to have an agreement in place with both [teams] in order to do something like that. You never say never. If you trade to your example, No. 7, what if you get stuck there? Then what are you doing? What did you give up to do that? So you would have to know and have something prearranged to be able to do that. I'll always listen and be open to anything. I know everybody is assuming we trade up. We could always go the other way, too, if it made sense for us."

7 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I seriously hope he is just saying all this stuff about how much they love the 12th pick in order to drum up some interest from other teams.... and that he already has a plan in place to move up for a QB they are comfortable with.

A poker player isn't going to show you his cards.  This is all theater.

• Like (+1) 2

Asked Monday at the owners meetings about the Bills' vacant starting middle linebacker position and the three free agents who visited last week, general manager Brandon Beane said, "We still haven't solidified that and come up with an agreement with any of those guys. Those guys all had good visits. But we have not filled that and I don't expect that to happen today. But we know that's a void that we got to work on."

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

"I'm stymied, I don't have avenue up for QB, everyone is going to be so mad, play it coo, play it cool, tell everyone how awesome #12 is, just keep repeating it."

His nose was growing trying to convince everyone how much he was working on that 12th draft slot

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

All I can say from all of my years of watching the draft and watching how some GMs operate is maybe they think they have a good feel on what teams in the top 10 will do and that they think more than one good QB will drop to their spot or close to it.  They are closer to inner circles and know what teams will do than mockers and us fans out here.  Maybe we don't move out of 12 or not too far from it and actually have one of our highest rated QBs there for us, who knows.

19 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

"I'm stymied, I don't have avenue up for QB, everyone is going to be so mad, play it coo, play it cool, tell everyone how awesome #12 is, just keep repeating it."

I'm smart enough to know that we don't think any of these guys is a "have to have" guy so we don't to give everything up

I will give Beane the benefit of the doubt for now, but I maintain that if the Bills don't come out of the draft with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield,. it is an big time failure on his part.  With everything the Bills have done since the draft last year, the 1 singular goal of this organization is to get a premier QB prospect in this draft.  They have traded away very good players, accumulated a ton of picks, and already improved their draft positron once.  There is no excuse for him not to get one of those 3 guys.

I don't buy for a second that the Colts wouldn't have traded with us for the right price.  Yes, the Colts owner came out and said initially that they didn't want to move out of the top 10, but now there are a ton of reports out there saying they wouldn't mind moving down again.  That tells me that the pick could have probably been had for the right price and Beane did not want to pay whatever it was and the Jets did.  So, if the opportunity was indeed there to make a move with the Colts, and Beane doesn't end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield, all of the good will he has built with me, and a lot of fans, will be gone.  I'm sorry.....but I didn't pass on Mahomes and Watson last year, trade Watkins, Dareus, Darby, and Glenn to come out of this draft without a top QB prospect......

So yeah.....Beane has the benefit of the doubt for now, but he needs to finish the job.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

I will give Beane the benefit of the doubt for now, but I maintain that if the Bills don't come out of the draft with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield,. it is an epic, all time failure on his part.  With everything the Bills have done since the draft last year, the 1 singular goal of this organization is to get a premier QB prospect in this draft.  They have traded away very good players, accumulated a ton of picks, and already improved their draft positron once.  There is no excuse for him not to get one of those 3 guys.

I don't buy for a second that the Colts wouldn't have traded with us for the right price.  Yes, the Colts owner came out and said initially that they didn't want to move out of the top 10, but now there are a ton of reports out there saying they wouldn't mind moving down again.  That tells me that the pick could have probably been had for the right price and Beane did not want to pay whatever it was and the Jets did.  So, if the opportunity was indeed there to make a move with the Colts, and Beane doesn't end up with Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield, all of the good will he has built with me, and a lot of fans, will be gone.  I'm sorry.....but I didn't pass on Mahomes and Watson last year, trade Watkins, Dareus, Darby, and Glenn to come out of this draft without a top QB prospect......

So yeah.....Beane has the benefit of the doubt for now, but he needs to finish the job.

OK but let's admit one thing, their "premier guy" may not be who we think it is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This doesn't help at all - it actually makes it way worse. Just consummate the f-in trade...

In all honestly his comments (haven't watched it yet, just based on the tweets and such) makes me feel like it is either gonna get announced as a 3 way trade or we are going to have to wait until draft day....

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

OK but let's admit one thing, their "premier guy" may not be who we think it is.

Well, if they did all that for Allen, I will have serious doubts as to how long they will be employed here. 

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His nose was growing trying to convince everyone how much he was working on that 12th draft slot

I think the slight tip of the hand was saying he's be open to moving a pick from the 2019 draft.

I feel like if he was totally content at 12, there would be no need to use that 2019 first...

Although, I do think it could get interesting if they trade from 22 down into the teens for a QB like Lamar or Rudolph.

Take a LB at 12 and then come back into the teens to grab one of those guys.

I'd still prefer one of the blue chip specs but...

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Problem is whoever we draft, we will have gotten the guy we wanted all along!

On a serious note, I agree with what you said. However, unless it is a trade up in front of the Jets, there will always be second guessing if the guy was really the "premier guy" or not. 

i think i may have a man crush on mr. beane. he just seems to be doing and saying all the right things right now. if the draft unfolds in a way that we can get a qb to be excited about, and a couple talented players to go with him...it may become a full on bromance. i guess we have to see what the haul is and what the price was to get it. Billieving in the process!

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I think the slight tip of the hand was saying he's be open to moving a pick from the 2019 draft.

I feel like if he was totally content at 12, there would be no need to use that 2019 first...

Although, I do think it could get interesting if they trade from 22 down into the teens for a QB like Lamar or Rudolph.

Take a LB at 12 and then come back into the teens to grab one of those guys.

I'd still prefer one of the blue chip specs but...

So 3 1's and most likely a 2 and a 3. So that leaves us:

1.) Pick #4 to Pick#2

2.) Pick #2

3.) Pick #1