Predictions for the time capsule

I see a lot of predictions for what the top drafted QBs this year will become.  However, they are spread out randomly across the 100 QB threads going right now (and yes, I recognize this makes 101).  I say we state our predictions all in this thread and then open it up 4 years from now.

We will limit it to the consensus top 5 (darn it, Rosie, all-in, may-day, and Jack rabbit) and set the prediction standards as: 

1). HOF pace (Brady, Rodgers, Brees)

2). Face of Franchise (Ryan, Stafford, Newton)

3). Solid starter (Cousins, Carr, A Smith)

4). Weak starter (Cutler, Tyrod, Bortles)

5). Backup/Bust (Manuel, Manziel, Sanchez)

While we all recognize that the organization each QB goes to will have an impact on his success, for the purpose of this thread we will turn a blind eye to that impact.

My predictions...

Darnold----Solid Starter

Rosen------Bust (concussions)

Allen--------Face of Franchise

Mayfield--Solid Starter

Jackson---Weak Starter

The goal here is not to debate, but rather to go on record, lock it away, and then hold ourselves accountable for our predictions in 4 years.  Have fun.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Darnold---Face of Franchise

Rosen---HOF Pace; Bust if Concussions 

Allen---Backup/Bust (the next Jake Locker/Brock Oswiler) 

Mayfield--HOF Pace

Jackson--Face of Franchise

I'm just going to put myself on the record and agree with all of the above. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Wings and Beer said:

I see a lot of predictions for what the top drafted QBs this year will become.  However, they are spread out randomly across the 100 QB threads going right now (and yes, I recognize this makes 101).  I say we state our predictions all in this thread and then open it up 4 years from now.

We will limit it to the consensus top 5 (darn it, Rosie, all-in, may-day, and Jack rabbit) and set the prediction standards as: 

While we all recognize that the organization each QB goes to will have an impact on his success, for the purpose of this thread we will turn a blind eye to that impact.

My predictions...

Darnold----Solid Starter

Mayfield--Solid Starter

Jackson---Weak Starter

The goal here is not to debate, but rather to go on record, lock it away, and then hold ourselves accountable for our predictions in 4 years.  Have fun.

Darnold - Face of the Franchise

Jackson - Face of the Franchise

Allen - Solid Starter

Mayfield - Solid Starter

Rosen - Bust

It's almost impossible to predict HOF. Bo Jackson might be the best athlete in history and was an all star in 2 sports at the same time but probably doesn't have the career stats to be in the hall of fame for either. But he was arguably one of the best that ever did it. I saw it with my own eyes, he was better than all of these other players that got in.

The HOF is about career accomplishments not about who is the best player. Josh Rosen has HOF potential but I don't think he will play 15-20 yrs to be able to put up enough stats. I think 10 yrs and he's done. Doesn't mean he can't win a super bowl or 2 during that time.

Darnold----Solid Starter

Rosen------Face of Franchise

Allen--------Solid Starter

Mayfield--Weak Starter

Jackson---Weak Starter

I had to put Mayfield as weak starter because you listed Cutler as a weak starter and I think he will have a similar career. I think that would have been solid starter territory but as it's listed I have to put weak. Coincidentally Cutler also started in Denver and that's where I see Mayfield going at pick 5.

Darnold---- Gets off to the best start of any QB.  Darnold will struggle but he'll also show exactly why he was picked #1.  I think he's got the best shot at having a long career and the best shot at being a great QB.

Rosen------ He's my bust prediction.  I think there's something wrong with this kid mentally and physically.  I think the NFL chews him up and spits him out.  If its injuries that get him - I think he'll have a Bradford type career but give up much sooner.  If its mental that gets him - I think we'll see a Colts Jeff George career then he'll give up.  I think it's a race to what gets him first.

Allen------  His best path is a team that can bring him along like Big Ben.  His first few years he'll need a defense and running game to give him time to develop.  In the right situation,  I think he and Darnold are the premier QB's that come out of this class.  

Mayfield--  He's another bust prediction to me.  I think he struggles to control his emotions.  He's going to be asked if he feels disrespected not being selected higher.  He'll feel like he needs to show confidence and he'll talk more than he should.  I believe he'll put pressure on himself and when he doesn't perform the media will put pressure on him and he'll crack.  Seems like the type of guy to explode in a post game interview after a poor performance and will have residual effects.

Jackson---  I think Lamar is supremely talented and he'll start for 5-6 years and show he's a capable NFL QB.  I don't think he's a good enough pocket passer to have a 12-15 year career but his teams will win games.  His high school didn't have a play book so when he got to college he was confused.  He wasn't sure what they were asking him to do but he worked hard and a light bulb went off and he learned how film study helped him.  I think with all QB's that have the option to run - they struggle with when to run.  The NFL will accelerate those decisions and make them even more difficult to make.  He's got a legit shot but I'm not sure he's a QB that because of him, has a super bowl shot every year.  I think he's an up and down guy.  His ups will be amazing and he'll be a fun player to watch.  He's got to get bigger, IMO.  He needs to be in that 225-230 pound range or injury is a big concern for me.  To be great, he'll need to learn only to run when he has to.  

Edited by White Linen

Darnold - Bust  ... Turnover machine in HS, turnover machine in college, USC QB's have sucked in the NFL since Carson Palmer graduated.

Rosen - Bust ... Concussed twice last year, another concussion or two and Dr dad will talk him into playing tennis for a living

Allen - Face of Franchise ... Never had a QB coach until this past season, smart kid will learn quick, cannon for an arm

Mayfield - Solid Starter - Accurate, ultra competitive

Jackson - Solid Starter ... Will continue to improve as a passer, best runner at the QB position, Exciting to watch

Rudolph - Undecided at this point

13 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Darnold - Bust  ... Turnover machine in HS, turnover machine in college, USC QB's have sucked in the NFL since Carson Palmer graduated.

Rosen - Bust ... Concussed twice last year, another concussion or two and Dr dad will talk him into playing tennis for a living

Allen - Face of Franchise ... Never had a QB coach until this past season, smart kid will learn quick, cannon for an arm

Mayfield - Solid Starter - Accurate, ultra competitive

Jackson - Solid Starter ... Will continue to improve as a passer, best runner at the QB position, Exciting to watch

Rudolph - Undecided at this point

Where did you hear Allen was smart?

Darnold----Face of Franchise

Rosen------Solid Starter (Alex Smith esque)

Allen--------Bust

Mayfield--Solid Starter (potentially Face of Franchise)

Jackson---Weak Starter (backup)

Rudolph - Weak Starter (backup)

Edited by BigDingus

Okay I will put myself out there

Darnold- HOF pace

Rosen- Face of the Franchise (or injuries could make him the next Bradford) 

Mayfield- Solid starter

Allen- Bust

Jackson- Weak starter

Rudolph- Weak starter

White- Solid starter

Woodside- Journeyman starter (next McCown, Fitzpatrick, etc.)

Darnold - (Bust) Browns Suck

Rosen- (Great) Definitely has a SB win.

Allen- (Good) Never makes it to a SB. 

Mayfield -(Mega Bust) 

Jackson- (Good) Never wind a SB.

Edited by Lfod

11 hours ago, Wings and Beer said:

My predictions...

Darnold----Solid Starter

Mayfield--Solid Starter

Jackson---Weak Starter

Good thread.  I'll be a little different - I'll put down best and worse case scenarios

Darnold -  Best: Face of Franchise (Stafford)         Worse: Solid to Weak Starter / Cousins to Cutler

Rosen -     Best: Face of Franchise (Eli Manning)   Worse: Bust (agree: concussions/injury/David Carr - if healthy - Solid Starter - Cousins)

Allen -       Best: Face of Franchise (Flacco-plus)   Worse: Bust (Ryan Leif) 

Mayfield - Best: Solid Starter (Cousins)                   Worse: Back-up (Sanchez)

Jackson - Best: Face of Franchise  (Vick)               Worse: Weak starter

Rudolph - Best: HOF pace (Brady)                            Worse: Weak starter (Bortles)

14 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

I suggest holding off on this until after the draft when we know which QB goes where

Any of these QBs will have very different career with the Giants or Chargers than they would have with the Browns or Jets

Was going to mention this as well.  I think team and situation make a huge difference.  I just went on theory that each QB has an equal chance to shine.