Bills had deal in place with Colts to trade to 3 before Jets swooped in, per WGR

18 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

What makes you think they would have in fact upped the ante? The cost from 3 to 12 would have already been vastly steeper than from 6 to 3.

In turn the Jets package was going to take an awful lot to beat.

I never stated they would in fact up the ante.. I just feel like if Colts were to tell Beane what jets offer was, Beane wouldn't just tell Colts, they are not upping the offer. Beane is smarter than that. I feel Beane would have told Colts to hold tight and see if we can come up with a better trade (even tho Beane knew he wasn't gonna up the offer).. But it would have bought time to visit other trade scenarios with other teams. If this were the case, NO WAY a trade with jets happens early in march!!

11 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

2 might not even be for sale.  Sure it's a target but it might not be for sale.  Face it, we might get screwed out of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  We just might get the door slammed in our face no matter what we are offering.  The pick has to be for sale.

That's only if those picks are up for sale.  I don't think they are and that's why the Jets got 3.

Most likely scenario.

If we had gotten to 3, it could open the door for a quick flip to #1.  But everything else is just baseless hope.

Frankly I think our only chance of getting up to #2 is if the Giants aren't going QB and we are able to work a deal where we get #2 / Giants get #4 / Cleveland gets something they would like.  But I think the move not being there is the most likely scenario and if this is a true leak, it's to get the fans ire turned toward the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s basically my point, in response to the people who say we never saw it coming. We would have had a chance to offer more, but it wasn’t in the cards. Our FO didn’t “fail” because the Jets made the offer. We couldn’t “block” that.  Maybe we thought we had until draft day, but we still had a chance to give up more. It was a decision on our part. We’ll know if it was right or wrong in a few years. I still trust the FO, but I know we won’t be 100% correct. Maybe we should have sucked more last year? I’m not going there...

Yeah and also like I said in the last post, there is more to it then what a team offers.  The Colts may not have wanted to go all the way down to 12 and preferred the offer and landing spot with the Jets as they are still top 6 and have shot at a guy they covet who wont last to 12.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Also, if the Colts said "we've got a deal" and got off the phone with us, only to call the Jets, or field a call from the Jets, eff them forever.

Feeling like 2004 all over, having a supposed deal done to move up and the other team backing out.

Donahoe wasn't willing to do what it takes to get a QB. The trade never went away.

5 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

2 might not even be for sale.  Sure it's a target but it might not be for sale.  Face it, we might get screwed out of Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.  We just might get the door slammed in our face no matter what we are offering.  The pick has to be for sale.

That's only if those picks are up for sale.  I don't think they are and that's why the Jets got 3.

Everything is for sale. You just need to swallow your pride and give up enough. If you are telling me 12/22/next years 1st and a few 2nds couldn’t get up to 2? Then I’ll say fine. We tried. You can get there if you really want to. You also can probably get 6 from Indy now and then package something with 6 to get to 2. It’s possible, I just don’t think we have the balls to pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah and also like I said in the last post, there is more to it then what a team offers.  The Colts may not have wanted to go all the way down to 12 and preferred the offer and landing spot with the Jets as they are still top 6 and have shot at a guy they covet who wont last to 12.

Absolutely! I looks like it just wasn’t in the cards. Maybe we didn’t want to throw in next years first to make up for being 6 spots later. Who knows what the details were, but we couldn’t offer #6, didn’t want to increase enough to compensate for that and it just didn’t work out. NOW, if we get ahead of #3 and take their guy, that will be priceless!   But they’d never admit it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Everything is for sale. You just need to swallow your pride and give up enough. If you are telling me 12/22/next years 1st and a few 2nds couldn’t get up to 2? Then I’ll say fine. We tried. You can get there if you really want to. You also can probably get 6 from Indy now and then package something with 6 to get to 2. It’s possible, I just don’t think we have the balls to pull the trigger.

Let me clarify.  If you approach me with an offer for my pick, but I have my eyes set on a guy that  I think is #1 or #2 in the entire draft or my plan is to gut my team and start over with a new QB, you can talk to me all day long.  You'd be better off talking to a damn rock.  So while we can talk, there's probably not going to be much you can say or give me because I want to do, what I want to do.  So the pick being for sale is a mere facade.  It really isn't.

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

outside of that? That’s one piece and I clearly stated they don’t have a plan. Plans involve more than one thing 

another part of their plan is probably to whoop our asses up and down the field again on Thursday Night Football.

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Donahoe wasn't willing to do what it takes to get a QB. The trade never went away.

Donahoe learned his lesson.  He was a driving force behind Philly moving up for Wentz and also for getting a 1st and 4th for Sam Bradford.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

Let me clarify.  If you approach me with an offer for my pick, but I have my eyes set on a guy that  I think is #1 or #2 in the entire draft or my plan is to gut my team and start over with a new QB, you can talk to me all day long.  You'd be better off talking to a damn rock.  So while we can talk, there's probably not going to be much you can say or give me because I want to do, what I want to do.  So the pick being for sale is a mere facade.  It really isn't.

I think there becomes a point where you would be a fool to not listen or say no. I really think the giants are not going to draft a QB so IMO, they would probably be willing to move to a certain degree. If they won’t, they won’t. That’s why it sucks that we couldn’t pull off the colts thing. Now we might actually be screwed.