Aaron Schatz: 2018 QB Boom and Bust Projections with QBASE

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I keep saying it - Mayfield is on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

And we may miss out on him and other good QB's which is why I voted the way I did in the drought thread

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Keeping in mind that these ratings do not factor rushing in at all, which obviously hurts Lamar the most.

The overall rankings are:

1. Baker Mayfield (4th highest they've had dating back to 1997, behind only Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Donovan McNabb)

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Josh Rosen

4. Sam Darnold

5. Mason Rudolph

6. Luke Falk

7. Kyle Lauletta

8. Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Keeping in mind that these ratings do not factor rushing in at all, which obviously hurts Lamar the most.

1. Baker Mayfield (4th highest they've had dating back to 1997, behind only Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Donovan McNabb)

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Josh Rosen

4. Sam Darnold

5. Mason Rudolph

6. Luke Falk

7. Kyle Lauletta

8. Josh Allen

Wow if I had made my own list it would have looked almost exactly like this. I'm torn between Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson, I have them all a step behind Mayfield but I can't tell you which of those 3 I would draft first.

• Like (+1) 2

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Aaron Schatz: 2018 QB Boom and Bust Projections with QBASE
21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And they may all stink, may all be great, or may all be average.  Or some combination of these.  Which is why I just chuckle at these kinds of threads and posts

You keep saying these same things in posts where people are talking about prospects. Why are you so frustrated that people here have opinions on how successful certain prospects will or won't be in the NFL?

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You keep saying these same things in posts where people are talking about prospects. Why are you so frustrated that people here have opinions on how successful certain prospects will or won't be in the NFL?

He's a grumpy old man.  He yells at everybody in every thread.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

Mayfield is the best QB since Luck and its not even close. Only reason he is not the consensus number 1 is his height. Literally 2inches away. I've wanted him all year, but admit his height is a concern.

I agree... and I hope this combine/measurable process is pushing him down the draft a little so we can draft him.

There won't be the same fanfare nationally for Buffalo if we draft Mayfield as there would be if we drafted Darnold or Rosen, but I really think Mayfield is going to be the best QB in this class.

6 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Because they state them as if they're carved in stone, and that anyone who disagrees must be stupid.

As in Mayfield is the best and it's not even close.  I've gone past frustrated to just chuckling now

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow if I had made my own list it would have looked almost exactly like this. I'm torn between Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson, I have them all a step behind Mayfield but I can't tell you which of those 3 I would draft first.

Yes yes yes yes!!!

Those 4 QBs are the QBs I'm most excited about! And honestly I'll even be fine if we traded up a couple spots for Jackson. 

It's seriously baffling me that Allen has somehow been thrust unanimously in front of Jackson.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because they state them as if they're carved in stone, and that anyone who disagrees must be stupid.

As in Mayfield is the best and it's not even close.  I've gone past frustrated to just chuckling now

It's the nature of message boards now... has been for quite some time now.

Regardless of whether people present their opinions as facts, they are almost always very obviously merely opinion.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It's the nature of message boards now... has been for quite some time now.

Regardless of whether people present their opinions as facts, they are almost always very obviously merely opinion.

And amusing most of the time.  But some days when I'm sleep deprived I get more cranky than usual

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

And we may miss out on him and other good QB's which is why I voted the way I did in the drought thread

kidggz, the only way to have assuredly achieved that would have been to trade Tyrod and Shady before the start of last season.  If you clamored for that to achieve the goal of picking at the top then I have your back on it for sticking to your guns.  Otherwise, even if things fell differently last year I still think we would have been about a 7-9 team, or somewhere around 13th.

Th last time the Bills finished with the Giants equivalent 3-13 was in 2001, 17 years ago.  The last time we trumped that was 34 years ago in '85 (2-14).

...it is just not easy to suck so bad and even missing the playoffs for the 18th year in a row would have likely put you still outside of the top 10.

Therefore, I'll take the playoffs unless someone/something could have assured us of a 3-13 record or worse.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

He can throw a football over a mountain.

Which will never be required in an NFL game.

Accuracy always has been and always will be the most important thing for a QB, and the hardest thing to improve upon. He doesn't have it.

6 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

kidggz, the only way to have assuredly achieved that would have been to trade Tyrod and Shady before the start of last season.  If you clamored for that to achieve the goal of picking at the top then I have your back on it for sticking to your guns.  Otherwise, even if things fell differently last year I still think we would have been about a 7-9 team, or somewhere around 13th.

Th last time the Bills finished with the Giants equivalent 3-13 was in 2001, 17 years ago.  The last time we trumped that was 34 years ago in '85 (2-14).

...it is just not easy to suck so bad and even missing the playoffs for the 18th year in a row would have likely put you still outside of the top 10.

Therefore, I'll take the playoffs unless someone/something could have assured us of a 3-13 record or worse.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Trade all players of value. They did trade them but they waited until after the season. Trade them before the season and you try and win with who you have, sure, but with Peterman at QB and who knows at RB we go 3-13 like you said. We would have our QB plus a TON of picks by not having to trade up. Could you imagine? We would be super bowl contenders in 2 yrs.

But hey I'm glad everyone liked that embarrassing 3 point playoff performance. Just know that it seriously hurt our rebuilding efforts.

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

2. Lamar Jackson

3. Josh Rosen

4. Sam Darnold

5. Mason Rudolph

6. Luke Falk

7. Kyle Lauletta

8. Josh Allen

I just LOVE the FACTS!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Accuracy always has been and always will be the most important thing for a QB, and the hardest thing to improve upon. He doesn't have it.

Over. A. Mountain.

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Basically you can execute the greatest play in NFL history, the Techmo Bowl "QB runs backwards 50 yards, runs around in the endzone, throws a ball all the way to the other endzone, WR jumps up 3 whole screens, touchdown".

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Trade all players of value. They did trade them but they waited until after the season. Trade them before the season and you try and win with who you have, sure, but with Peterman at QB and who knows at RB we go 3-13 like you said. We would have our QB plus a TON of picks by not having to trade up. Could you imagine? We would be super bowl contenders in 2 yrs

Diggz, then I have your back for sticking to your guns.

I'll admit I toyed with the idea in my head before the start of last season and had we sunk early on, I would have said let's trade Shady.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Trade all players of value. They did trade them but they waited until after the season. Trade them before the season and you try and win with who you have, sure, but with Peterman at QB and who knows at RB we go 3-13 like you said. We would have our QB plus a TON of picks by not having to trade up. Could you imagine? We would be super bowl contenders in 2 yrs.

But hey I'm glad everyone liked that embarrassing 3 point playoff performance. Just know that it seriously hurt our rebuilding efforts.

I don't want to waste a year of exciting Bills football narratives for tanking. Life's too short to not care at all for a full Bills season.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

facts are facts Mayfield is the best QB. Football IQ, processing, are by far the best, those are facts not opinions.. Problem hes 6 foot tall. That will scare scouts and GMs away. Some value certain measureables more than others. 

2 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Diggz, then I have your back for sticking to your guns.

I'll admit I toyed with the idea in my head before the start of last season and had we sunk early on, I would have said let's trade Shady.

Appreciate it, if even just for having an open mind! Some people don't even want to have the discussion.

Edited by kdiggz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't want to waste a year of exciting Bills football narratives for tanking. Life's too short to not care at all for a full Bills season.

Well that's the majority opinion as we have seen. But just know that it hurt our rebuilding efforts. If you are fine with that then ok. I'd gladly sacrifice 1 season for 10 yrs of winning by getting our franchise QB and a haul of other top picks

1 minute ago, dbflaBill said:

facts are facts Mayfield is the best QB. Football IQ, processing, are by far the best, those are facts not opinions.. Problem hes 6 foot tall. That will scare scouts and GMs away. Some value certain measureables more than others. 

Show me the football IQ measurements of all 6 of the top QBs.  Show me the test they use for that.  Show me actual measurements of processing speed of each.  And while you're doing that pull out a dictionary and look up the word fact.

Just now, kdiggz said:

Well that's the majority opinion as we have seen. But just know that it hurt our rebuilding efforts. If you are fine with that then ok. I'd gladly sacrifice 1 season for 10 yrs of winning by getting our franchise QB and a haul of other top picks

Glad we're talking again. Seriously. I apologize for cursing and trolling. I just have a strong opinion on the matter; I absolutely live for the emotional rollercoaster every Bills season and the fun narratives and discussion on this board. I clown around in the offseason, and don't want to clown around for over a year. I want to talk about our favorite Bills stories and whatnot.

• Like (+1) 1

Football IQ is easily measured when they bring each QB into a room and get them on the board drawing up plays. They then go through scenarios, ex if the safety rocks down here who then becomes the 1st read. If this LB blitzes are you protected of is that the hot read. Scouts evaluate each QBs response thus determining their football IQ. Mayfield FACT had the highest.  Film shows how quick a QB processes information. Neither of these 2 scenarios are EVER released into the public. 

8 minutes ago, dbflaBill said:

I no nothing about college quarterbacks, scouts hardly know. But Mayfield is by far my favorite FWIW. Being undersized myself I'm really rooting for him. Sure it matters, for some people, just seems like the last tangible you evaluate when thinking about accuracy, arm, IQ, etc.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I no nothing about college quarterbacks, scouts hardly know. But Mayfield is by far my favorite FWIW. Being undersized myself I'm really rooting for him. Sure it matters, for some people, just seems like the last tangible you evaluate when thinking about accuracy, arm, IQ, etc.

. Certain scouts consider size more than others... FLutie is a prime example. The Bills front office realized the dude could just play, and didnt care about his size. Overall Flutie proved them right.