Number 1 WR Jordan Matthews Still Looking for a Job

15 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

And immediately after woods, goodwin, and Hogan left Buffalo they put up way better numbers.   I'm not saying Matthews is a top-tier wide receiver but he had decent production with Philadelphia before coming to Buffalo. 

Hogan’s numbers this year were pretty similar to his time in Buffalo. Watkins were worse. Goodwin and Woods improved but Goodwin was a number 1 in a receiver friendly system.  His numbers were going to go up. You can add Thompson and his $2.5M to the list as well.

The point is that they all signed for more money than people projected. They weren’t held back. They made more money than anticipated PRIOR to going elsewhere. They weren’t held back. Matthews isn’t being held back either. He just isn’t that good. He was a function of volume when he had success. He WAS 4th on the Eagles depth chart when they dealt him. He is a JAG. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Hogan’s numbers this year were pretty similar to his time in Buffalo. Watkins were worse. Goodwin and Woods improved but Goodwin was a number 1 in a receiver friendly system.  His numbers were going to go up. You can add Thompson and his $2.5M to the list as well.

The point is that they all signed for more money than people projected. They weren’t held back. They made more money than anticipated PRIOR to going elsewhere. They weren’t held back. Matthews isn’t being held back either. He just isn’t that good. He was a function of volume when he had success. He WAS 4th on the Eagles depth chart when they dealt him. He is a JAG. 

Just as many here said before the season when he was acquired. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 7:55 PM, Jauronimo said:

Matthews is a solid player but this team needs a true number 1 opposite of Benjamin.  A player that can stretch the field and and play wideout.  Zay is our slot guy.

At this point the Bills should not count on Zay  for anything.  If he shows up in camp in shape and catching the football (for a Change) GREAT, it's like found money. We need to plan like he ain't gonna be there IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If he'll take a one year "show me" deal I think they should entertain it.  Other than that, someone had to catch those balls in Philadelphia.  He is a nice player on an established team from here out.  A slot 3 is his ceiling. 

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

At this point the Bills should not count on Zay  for anything.  If he shows up in camp in shape and catching the football (for a Change) GREAT, it's like found money. We need to plan like he ain't gonna be there IMHO.

I agree 100%

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No rush to sign him with the draft only 24 days away.  Teams can always circle back afterward. 

Not just that, but everyone will wait until two weeks after the draft for the comp pick deadline to pass

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/16/2018 at 6:01 PM, 3rdand12 said:

we all ? knew we were in dire need of upgrading across the WR line up.

When he mentioned his expectations to be a #1 and semi blaming the Eagles for his poor performance last year was enough for me.

Best wishes !

Good Guy , just not good enough

Chip Kelly dumped desean and maclin for him. The worst HC/GM was all in on Matthews.. so i don't really trust Matthews' resume, which is still pretty bad given that he was supposed to be the guy in Philly and then gets dumped to #4 and traded for pennies

51 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Chip Kelly dumped desean and maclin for him. The worst HC/GM was all in on Matthews.. so i don't really trust Matthews' resume, which is still pretty bad given that he was supposed to be the guy in Philly and then gets dumped to #4 and traded for pennies

Its a poor message to read.
Keep in mind I was fairly hyped about him coming to Buffalo. As a #3, or slot receiver. Did not know Bills thought more of him than that.
Still have concerns about how Buffalo Bills value WRs in general. I might consider it a weakness?
 and as Bills sit on their hands so far, I will furrow my brow.
Maybe it was because of the O coordinator Bills thankfully moved on from.

Trust the Daboll ??

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I feel uncomfortable about what is NOT happening at WR so far.
Will stay calm.
You are correct about Jones. he is no money in the bank about turn a dividend.
heck they let Deonte go. and brought that near useless kid the Panthers again released aarrghh.

maybe they are drafting qb in the first and the next 3 picks are WRs... 

I'm assuming the Bills haven't even offered him anything based on how long he's been on the market with no suitors, which is somewhat surprising. You'd think with the WRs on the roster at the moment, having Matthews is better than having nobody at all. 

Hopefully this all means they're confident they'll pick up a guy or two in the draft, and their confidence in Zay is obviously there. 

Just now, Will-GM-for-food said:

I'm assuming the Bills haven't even offered him anything based on how long he's been on the market with no suitors, which is somewhat surprising. You'd think with the WRs on the roster at the moment, having Matthews is better than having nobody at all. 

Hopefully this all means they're confident they'll pick up a guy or two in the draft, and their confidence in Zay is obviously there. 

He's rather redundant with what they already have on the roster. 

Jordan Matthews visited the Patriots on Monday, but the receiver has an offer on the table from the Cardinals, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports.

Matthews, 25, also recently visited Green Bay.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/02/report-cardinals-offer-jordan-matthews/

According to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s Mike Jurecki, he was seeking at least $5 million per year.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/02/wr-jordan-matthews-sought-more-money-than-cardinals-wanted-to-pay/

If he is still a FA post draft and the Bills did make a trade that reduced pick amount I wouldn’t be opposed to bringing him back for a one year deal. Base of like $2-3 mil with escalators for performance. He is a good locker room guy and route runner. Two good things for a young QB to have around. 

The WR core needs a total rebuild, not a easy task when Taylor was your QB. Good WR's will not come here in FA until we have a QB that can pass the football. We need to use the draft to upgrade our WR core, the Bears have the worst but we are right behind them.

13 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Name a worse WR corps in the nfl

The Bears are easily worse.

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The WR core needs a total rebuild, not a easy task when Taylor was your QB. Good WR's will not come here in FA until we have a QB that can pass the football. We need to use the draft to upgrade our WR core, the Bears have the worst but we are right behind them.

The Bears have Allen Robinson and as of right now Cam Meredith. Both extremely solid WRs. We have a hobbled KB, Zay for Jesus and nothing else. C'mon maaaannn

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would take Allen Robinson, Kevin White, Taylor Gabriel, Cam Meredith, and Tanner Gentry over Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, Rod Streater, and Brandon Reilly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The Bears have Allen Robinson and as of right now Cam Meredith. Both extremely solid WRs. We have a hobbled KB, Zay for Jesus and nothing else. C'mon maaaannn

I would rather have KB over Allen Robinson and I wouldn't put any value into Kevin White. Meredith is on the same level as Streater, both units suck but in my opinion the Bills are just a shade better. I live in Chicago so I have seen these WR's a lot. For me it comes down to who you like better KB or Robinson and I like KB more. I also think our unit has more upside but I think they both suck equally bad.

40 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would rather have KB over Allen Robinson and I wouldn't put any value into Kevin White. Meredith is on the same level as Streater, both units suck but in my opinion the Bills are just a shade better. I live in Chicago so I have seen these WR's a lot. For me it comes down to who you like better KB or Robinson and I like KB more. I also think our unit has more upside but I think they both suck equally bad.

Yea, I didn't say anything about White. He's useless. I do like Robinson much more. Meredith in my opinion is on a different level than Streater, of course I'm not a fan of his either. Basically ask this, would Meredith start on the Bills? I believe absolutely. Would Zay start for the Bears? Absolutely not. We, right now have a hobble, a huge question mark and hot garbage at WR. 

Edited by No Place To Hyde

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

you would take KB over robinson???? Ill have some of that syzurp please!  White is a bust Merideth is better than streater and GAbriel is better than both of them

id take Chicago receivers any day over what buffalo has

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

You're right.  Right now they are eagles 2016 bad.  

Haha can't tell if you are agreeing with me, but I looked them up and they did look pretty bad. But agholor alone is a stud so I could see it as sarcasm

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Haha can't tell if you are agreeing with me, but I looked them up and they did look pretty bad. But agholor alone is a stud so I could see it as sarcasm

He wasn't in 2016.  Dude couldn't catch a cold until this past season and the fans were ready to run him out of town.