Sal about FA QB's For Bill's - Hint ?

Here’s the problem your going to run into. Every one knows the Bills are trading up for a franchise changing QB. That means all these bridge QBs know it as well. They also aren’t dumb to think “oh you guys are gonna let me start for 2 years”. They know as soon as the kid is ready they are gonna play him.

that will seriously limit our options for a bridge guy

17 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

The plan is always to let the bridge start for a year or 2 while you groom the rook but the league just doesn't play that way anymore. If the rook is the real deal, he will find his way on the field year 1.

I agree.

I hope they move way up and draft one of the big names, and then start him in year 1.

Fill the team in around that and as the team builds, so does the QB's experience.

Expect to be good maybe 2 or 3 years later if you are going to be realistic.

8 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I don't think Sal knows he's just spitballing.

Sal Schmal

4 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

If I got to choose it'd be Case Keenum and I still like Baker Mayfield.

Bills have plenty of cap space now- wouldnt it be something to bring Brees onboard? It will never happen but one can dream!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

The plan is always to let the bridge start for a year or 2 while you groom the rook but the league just doesn't play that way anymore. If the rook is the real deal, he will find his way on the field year 1.

This is an indictment of quality play at the QB position.  There are very few QB's in this league who are starters. Any QB a rookie could out perform is a strike against the quality of the position as a whole not the talents of the rookie.

I'd say

Brees

Brady

Roethlisberger

Ryan

Rodgers

Goff

Rivers

Newton

Are the only QB's off the top of my head that could not be usurped by a rookie. I probably forgot one.  And I did not forget Manning, Cousins, Flacco, Prescott, Wilson, Stafford, Fitzpatrick, Watson.

I will not judge kid in SF yet as a starter, either. 

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree.

I hope they move way up and draft one of the big names, and then start him in year 1.

Fill the team in around that and as the team builds, so does the QB's experience.

Expect to be good maybe 2 or 3 years later if you are going to be realistic.

Or if the 'big name' never becomes good expect to suck for 3 years and then start over again. Why not bring in a decent qb, keep winning now and draft and mentor until you find your next qb. I don't want to suffer through more years of suck just waiting and hoping they picked the right guy. 

35 minutes ago, PIZ said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I like Allen.  One thing though, is the kid sure looked odd running his 40 with his arms straight down.  I hope they get Darnold.

Seinfeld episode with Raquel Welch was hilarious.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Very true. You also have to factor in the reality that most “bridge” guys stink. Fans and coaches alike become impatient, and are ready to start the rookie. That’s why I’m not a believer in the “bridge QB” method. Pick up a veteran for security as a backup, but just start the rookie on opening day. Why delay the inevitable? 

if they are planning on a bridge guy that stinks, or throwing a rookie into the fire and living with the growing pains, i really hope they can find a way to get this done without giving away next year's first round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, swnybillsfan said:

if they are planning on a bridge guy that stinks, or throwing a rookie into the fire and living with the growing pains, i really hope they can find a way to get this done without giving away next year's first round pick.

I agree, this season will be a challenge, regardless of who plays QB. I’m not fond of giving up next seasons first round pick either. We need to surround the QB with talent. It’s not as if this team doesn’t have holes outside of the QB position. 

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Goff did sit, yes. Behind Keenum. 

I think if you take a guy high your hope is he can take the job right away. If not, you better have a good plan in place. 

Disagree - the long view is the appropriate view. Why would you maybe take a lesser prospect just because he might be further along the learning curve?  I hope that they are looking for the biggest upside for the next 10 years (at least)

23 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

If we did all this wheeling and dealing just to trade up for Allen I would barf in someones baby stroller.

Seriously, i would rather take Roaquon Smith at LB at 12 and Lamar Jackson or Rudolph at 22 before gambling on Wyoming kid. 

Agreed, Smith and Jackson would actually be pretty nice paired with one of the higher end FA QB's.

2 hours ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Just was on wgr and said a group of five he believes the Bills are looking strongly at.

Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, McCarron, McCown.

And Matt Moore as a backup if none of those are available.

But it was his interesting comment to me about the free-agent quarterback being a starter for one or "two years". If that is indeed the case then I believe Josh Allen would be the quarterback they are interested in moving up for and then can sit for 2 years to develop behind one of the above starters.

I threw up a bit both at some of those names, and at the idea of Josh Allen. 

7 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree, this season will be a challenge, regardless of who plays QB. I’m not fond of giving up next seasons first round pick either. We need to surround the QB with talent. It’s not as if this team doesn’t have holes outside of the QB position. 

in all honesty, i think that we have to prepare for a step back this season. and with that in mind, next year's first and second round picks will likely be very important, and could be of very high value. having said that, other teams might be thinking along these lines as well, and prefer next year's picks to this year's.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This is one of the silliest comments I've read on here.  It can ALWAYS get worse and has.  JP, Trent, EJ, Tuel Time, Thaddeus Lewis, Nasty Nate, Fitz ...

Yup 100 percent agreed. Tyrod beat all those lames. The Trent Edwards era was the worst. 2nd was Fitz. EJ Manuel was bad, too, but he didn't play many games here.

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Disagree - the long view is the appropriate view. Why would you maybe take a lesser prospect just because he might be further along the learning curve?  I hope that they are looking for the biggest upside for the next 10 years (at least)

I'm certain they are. But sometimes fecal matter happens and that guy you drafted doesn't catch on as quick. It's always good to have a solid plan B to go with. Also, seeing how McDermott seems to have things flow...he's not going to blindly turn the team over to anyone. Let the rookie earn the spot.