Do you REALLY THINK our GM & HC will trade UP?

Punt75

There are definitely stand out quarterbacks in this draft, but they are all very different so it's hard to compare. Rosen is the 5 star recruit, intelligent precise passer with the big arm. Darnold is the guy coaches and scouts love with all the inagibles and athletic ability. Allen is the prototype, massive athletic quarterback with an amazing arm. Mayfield is the undersized fiery wolverine who just simply makes plays. Lamar Jackson is probably one of the all time most electrifying players to come out of college football. 

There are in fact 5 standout guys in this draft in my opinion. However, with the way college is going I think NFL teams have to find the one that fits best. Back in the day it was really easy to compare quartbacks. They were all kind of cut from the same cloth. This is not true anymore. To me Rosen is the guy that could fit any team's offense, but to say there are no standout quarterbacks in this draft just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Will they all make it? Likely not, but they are certainly standout players. After number five there is a huge drop off and a bunch of JAGS. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

These are smart NFL men.  They are here for the LONG TERM!  Trading away two #1 picks and more isn't their style.  ESPECIALLY when there is NO standout Quarterback in this draft.  NO Manning, NO Luck and NO Newton.  It's a crap shoot and everybody knows that. 

Get a CB, LB or DL in the first Round.  Grab a QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the 2nd.  With the other 2nd rounder get a RB or WR.  I can't image what we can do with two 3's, a 4 and two 5's to fill-out our needs.

Then take a look at Glennon, Bradford or Bridgewater for $7-8 mil as a veteran presence at QB.  We'll have Free Agency for the O-Line.

We've become a SMART organization!  It's very nice!

lol No QB... Said every year and every year there are QBS, and every year the Bills miss out.

1 hour ago, Punt75 said:

These are smart NFL men.  They are here for the LONG TERM!  Trading away two #1 picks and more isn't their style.  ESPECIALLY when there is NO standout Quarterback in this draft.  NO Manning, NO Luck and NO Newton.  It's a crap shoot and everybody knows that. 

Get a CB, LB or DL in the first Round.  Grab a QB like Rudolph, Falk or Lauletta in the 2nd.  With the other 2nd rounder get a RB or WR.  I can't image what we can do with two 3's, a 4 and two 5's to fill-out our needs.

Then take a look at Glennon, Bradford or Bridgewater for $7-8 mil as a veteran presence at QB.  We'll have Free Agency for the O-Line.

No standout QB?

Wtf are you talking about? There are no guarantees in the draft, yet every year you have QBs that rise to the top. This year is better than most, that's for sure.

Fans that think "wait until next year!" every year while watching the team go 18 years with no playoffs are ridiculous. 

You mention Manning, he wasn't a sure thing, or else why was there so many "experts" and teams wanting Leaf? Newton was better than others in his class, but not nearly as good as other less hyped QBs over the years. Aaron Rodgers, Drew Bread, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Big Ben etc all came out with less hype and have had better careers than Newton.

Wentz and Goff weren't sure things, yet look what they did. Russell Wilson and Derek Carr went after the 3rd round, yet 1 has won a SB, and the other has been better than anything the Bills have had since Kelly.

Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield have been more highly touted than most of the guys mentioned above, and yet you'd want to wait year after year after year after year, kicking the can down the street hoping the stars align and some gift from the heavens falls into our lap.

It rarely works that way, and in the past 10 years, the closest thing to a sure-thing has been Andrew Luck, and look what he's done lately. Point being waiting for some god-send is not a successful way to build a franchise. It is a good way of going another 18 years without playoffs though. 

1 hour ago, ColdFront_USAF said:

Your username fits the post. Refusing to take a shot at a franchise qb in a draft loaded with top end qb talent, picking the types of players that will be available in literally every draft class ever, and going with a retread of some sort to continue the mediocrity we've become accustomed to is pretty much punting the offseason away. 

Next years qb class looks awful at this point, and other than Cousins (who's not an option) there is nobody available in free agency or trade that would fit the bill as a franchise passer. If there was ever a time to make a move and get your guy, this is the time. 

Bingo! That's the problem with always waiting, sometimes you're stuck with a crappy hand year after year (like the year we drafted EJ Manuel) and missed your chance at legitimate talent. This year there are actual good prospects, some of the most promising in years, so waiting for a year better than this could be a looooong time away. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

IMO, everything they have done so far points to a move. No guarantee it will pay off, but they have the draft capital and an enticing group of QB's. Enough of putting it off until next year and bringing in a scrub to run the show as another "stopgap."

If not now, when?

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Yes.

They've made nothing but bold moves since they got here. Walking right through the door and immediately trading away Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Reggie Ragland, and Marcell Dareus was borderline insane.But they had a conviction, they followed through with it, purged the roster of bad contracts and bad attitudes, and made the playoffs. Bold.

After making the playoffs for the first time in 17 seasons, what did they do? Fired their offensive coordinator because they knew they could do better. Traded their quarterback away because they knew they could do better. Bold.

This coach/GM combo are NOT going to sit on their hands and be wishy-washy and hesitant to acquire a franchise QB. BOTH of them come from an organization whose sustained success the past few seasons stems largely from having a franchise QB. They know the importance of it. They've spoken about it multiple times.

They're not afraid. On the contrary, they're bold and, so far, pretty fearless in their roster building. They're going to trade up. Just watch.

And they did trade up last year to get the players they coveted.  They were also not afraid to make a in-season trade to get Benjamin.  They have been one of the most active team through the entire season.  The beauty of it is that McDermott has still been able to focus on getting his players ready to play for all the 18 weeks.   If he had a playoff caliber QB, then they win the Jacksonville game. 

3 hours ago, Punt75 said:

Mayfield is the standout.

So you want to get a bunch of bum QBs?? Glad that out FO is smarter than you.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, Punt75 said:

They are going rosen. Farm be damned. I endorse this message 

As with every other Bills fan, I hope they trade up and draft one of the top QBs who are sure to go in the top of the first round. However, at this point, it is mere speculation as to whether they actually trade up to draft a QB and, if so, which QB they covet. I do trust "the process" and the football acumen of the people in charge of building this team (something I haven't felt in many, many years), and Beane strikes me as detailed, disciplined, and practical.

The trade of Tyrod says, to me, that they have their plans (primary and contingency) in place and are very confident they will be able to execute one of those plans (free agent, trade up, select a QB later in Rd 1/early in Rd 2, or some combination) to put this team in a better position to compete, long-term, than if they had kept Tyrod.

I know what I hope they do and who I hope they select. But, in the end, I feel they have earned the trust, at least from me, that they will make the best decision possible for the short and long-term interests of this team.

10 hours ago, Punt75 said:

I hear this BS almost every year. Wentz sucked, Goff sucked, Watson sucked... blah blah blah. The only recent year where there was no standout was the EJ Manual draft class. This draft class is 100000× better. 

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they stay put, draft a QB and sign a veteran. They can fill a lot of needs with all of their picks, and they seem like the type of guys who really value draft picks. I could see them going either way really, it's going to be an interesting wait and see. 

Yeah if we can get Glennon and Rudolph we will be in great shape!!

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Punt75 said:

You’re advocating for raining deficient at QB and you’re calling it “smart.” I’ve another word for it. 

my take on this coaching/management staff so far,

they have a plan,   started working on it right after McBeane got here.

theyre sticking to it.

accumulating draft picks,  most likely to move up and grab their guy at QB

accumulated those draft picks because this was supposed to be the best QB draft in a decade

all of a sudden it doesnt look like the best QB draft in a decade.

somehow we won 9 games,  made the playoffs,  wasnt expected,  now we're stuck with crappy first round pick position,  add that to KCs  draft pick we acquired.

now things change significantly with the process.

i really dont believe OBD thought they would be in this exact position they find themselves in right  now.    spend alot for a chance at a QB,  or stay pat and build the rest of the team.

tough position to be in.   should be fun to watch.