Is Josh Rosen really the QB that the Bills covet?

PIZ

1 minute ago, LA Grant said:

Hmm. Well, Tyrod always talked about his Christian faith, maybe not as much as Peterman, but he was always open about it, and it didn't seem to matter. 

I don't think‚ well, I hope McDermott isn't one to let something like this be a real factor. If anything, they may see their locker room as capable of handling Rosen's strong personality. As a fan, I love that Rosen isn't like your standard robot QB. It's refreshing as hell. 

If Rosen had problems like Manziel, that's one thing. But if they pass on Rosen for Allen because of this factor, that's a failure... the younger generation are going to be increasingly more like guys like Rosen, more willing to speak their mind. Coaches need to be adaptive, and to bring those guys into the fold. 

From everything I've heard about Rosen, he's too smart for his own good and will question coaches like you brought up.  It's a generational thing.  Them kids and their music.

• Haha (+1) 1

I don't get the sense that it is most people who think that's going to happen.  My sense is that there are a group of Rosen fans who want it to happen, and are trying to make it happen with their wishful thinking.  I also think there is a sizable group of Mayfield fans doing the same thing.  There are smaller groups pushing other alternatives.  I don't think that there is any real information out there.  Beane seems to run a fairly tight ship with regards to player personnel decision.  I don't think much has been leaked, though we have heard murmurings that Tyrod was history in Buffalo.

Just now, Doc Brown said:

From everything I've heard about Rosen, he's too smart for his own good and will question coaches like you brought up.  It's a generational thing.  Them kids and their music.

Right. But IMO the problem isn't Rosen being "too smart" it's that football GMs/coaches are scared of being questioned, I think. Rosen isn't unmanageable by any stretch. Y'know, there was the thing of Trent Dilfer whining when Rosen questioned him at one of his camps. To me, it's ridiculous. Dilfer was saying you need to run this play no matter what, and Rosen was saying "but it doesn't make sense for what the defense is showing; the play should be changed."

Teams should want that. Peyton Manning would question coaches, and his football smarts were what made him successful more than anything else. You want a QB to have confidence & be somewhat headstrong. 

The flip side is someone like EJ Manuel, the perfect example of what GMs/coaches/scouts tend to fall for in their evaluations — he will do whatever you ask without question, he's got the right size, and a great arm. But that isn't what leads to success in the NFL.

QBs, like Brady/Manning, need to be able to read defenses & adjust on the fly + be consistently accurate. That is Rosen more than any of the others.

But... I don't know anything. This is just IMO.

5 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I don't get the sense that it is most people who think that's going to happen.  My sense is that there are a group of Rosen fans who want it to happen, and are trying to make it happen with their wishful thinking.  I also think there is a sizable group of Mayfield fans doing the same thing.  There are smaller groups pushing other alternatives.  I don't think that there is any real information out there.  Beane seems to run a fairly tight ship with regards to player personnel decision.  I don't think much has been leaked, though we have heard murmurings that Tyrod was history in Buffalo.

Nobody knows what's going to happen. We're all just speculating. The QB carousel could go in so many different directions at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This hasn't been brought up enough. More a statement on McD than anything else, but a factor imo. I thought I read that Rosen was an atheist ( a plus in my book ) though I don't know if it's true. 

He was #1 for me anyways, but now for sure he is

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Same for me, but just reverse those two names.  Rosen is Eli Manning 2.0.  Mayfield's height bothers me a little, but he has enough tools to overcome that disadvantage.

The reason why I have Mayfield over Rosen is Rosens concussion history.

HOPEFULLY... the noise around Rosen means that he drops to a place where the Bills can trade up to get him. 

The only team I'm really worried about nabbing him is the Giants at 2. My prediction is the Browns (foolishly) pass on Barkley to take Darnold 1st overall, then the Giants will take Barkley. 

The Colts could trade down, they appear to be open to that. They could also potentially draft Rosen at 3... hard to predict. Usually Indy makes boneheaded decisions, but with Reich there now, they may be less likely to make the dumb choice. I'll tell you if I'm the Colts, I would take a QB here, because you don't know what's happening with Andrew Luck. It's kind of like the Chargers situation when they had Drew Brees but drafted Rivers — draft the guy because you can, and then you can always trade away the one you like less. But it's anybody's guess what they are thinking.

The Browns at 4 look like the best potential trade partner to ensure the Bills get their guy, or perhaps the Bucs at 7.

Two good op-eds re: NFL being skittish on Rosen — which could be fortunate for the Bills.

https://theundefeated.com/features/josh-rosen-ucla-quarterback-gets-a-taste-of-what-outspoken-black-athletes-experience-all-the-time/

https://deadspin.com/josh-rosen-is-allowed-to-have-opinions-1823588151

This mock draft is what I think is most likely, except I think the Bills trade to 4 instead of the Dolphins, and the Browns will take Darnold at 1 instead of Allen. The Tyrod trade paves the path with Cleveland, IMO.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-dolphins-trade-up-for-josh-rosen-two-freak-defenders-go-in-top-10/

Either way I would be very very surprised if Cleveland stays at both 1 and 4. 

Edited by LA Grant

It is possible that Andrew Luck is secretly available for trade in the right deal. He missed a year and a half of football. That's a lot. Colts stink, they have a lot of needs, and their O-line is non existent. And he has a huge contract. Durability is a major problem, too. Even the owner hinted (in a nice way) that Luck is soft.

If I was Luck, I demand a trade to my agent.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Bills give up a ton to get Rosen. Rosen gets a couple concussions. Rosen retires at 26 to go into medicine or politics. It's so Billsy.

This type scenario actually concerns me. I know Mayfield has height disadvantage and QBs under 6"1 usually don't go in round 1. All that aside, Mayfield is the one guy I'd be the most concerned about NOT drafting if he was on the board when the Bills picked. 

6 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I"m not sure that anyone can say who the clear cut best prospect in the draft is.  You can look at any number of different prospect rankings and find Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and even Rudolph as the "top rated" prospect.  It's fine to have a personal man-crush on let's say Rosen, but he hasn't really shined against high level talent at the college level.  His college completion percentage is much to be desired, just like Allen and Jackson.  This is not an Andrew Luck type of year where there's a clear consensus #1, and that scares me a bit when you're talking about sending a bunch of picks off to get any of these guys.

It seems to me that everyone has a "favorite" and a "I don't want him" guy.

A lot of good posters here don't agree.  I'm not a big college football fan and I am sure confused.

No consensus at all in ranking.

6 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

Yeah - Cleveland would be straight up insane to not take Barkley with their #1 - no one knows which of these guys is for sure better than the other 3-5 guys.  They can get the best RB talent to come out in years and then even w/o trading still get at absolute worst their third (and more likely 2nd b/c Indy isn't going QB) choice out of a grab-bag of equivalent QB prospects.

I think that is possible, but I’ve been told over and over here that RBs are a dime a dozen and you should never take one before the mid rounds.  (To be clear, I disagree with that sentiment).

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

Hmm.  Seeing lots of tweets that Josh Allen is the target for the Bills.  Not sure how I feel about that.  Rocket arm, but bad accuracy.  Could Dabolls offense fix that? 

What offense has Dabol ever fixed? I’m not thrilled with our choice of OC. 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It seems to me that everyone has a "favorite" and a "I don't want him" guy.

A lot of good posters here don't agree.  I'm not a big college football fan and I am sure confused.

No consensus at all in ranking.

I am not a scout, for sure, but I have watched a fair amount of game cut ups and I could make a case for any of the big 5 + Rudolph.  I could even get behind Mike White in round 2.

i think they all have enough physical talent to do well.  What none of us know is how their knowledge of the game and work ethic.  Give me the guy of the above that wants it most and can process what he sees the fastest.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Much like I said I’d continue to say Cleveland will target Tyrod until it actually happened, I’ll continue to expect Buffalo to target Josh Allen or Sam Darnold until it actually happens.

I really don't know.........I can read all the same tea leaves as everyone else but I can think of reasons for and against all of the top 5.

My top 2 are Darnold and Rosen.........and it's very close..........Rosen is clearly the more polished and ready guy and he lives in the pocket, which Beane has indicated might be trait #1 for them.......... but Darnold has immense upside and would seem like a better personality fit with McD.

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Devils work, i tell ya.

I sure don't want Rosen running across my lawn..

Johnny Unitas and Earl Morrall can tear up the Begonias in the garden though Those were good kids. High tops and brush cuts. none of that fancy stuff for those Boys !

20 hours ago, LA Grant said:

HOPEFULLY... the noise around Rosen means that he drops to a place where the Bills can trade up to get him. 

The only team I'm really worried about nabbing him is the Giants at 2. My prediction is the Browns (foolishly) pass on Barkley to take Darnold 1st overall, then the Giants will take Barkley. 

The Colts could trade down, they appear to be open to that. They could also potentially draft Rosen at 3... hard to predict. Usually Indy makes boneheaded decisions, but with Reich there now, they may be less likely to make the dumb choice. I'll tell you if I'm the Colts, I would take a QB here, because you don't know what's happening with Andrew Luck. It's kind of like the Chargers situation when they had Drew Brees but drafted Rivers — draft the guy because you can, and then you can always trade away the one you like less. But it's anybody's guess what they are thinking.

The Browns at 4 look like the best potential trade partner to ensure the Bills get their guy, or perhaps the Bucs at 7.

Two good op-eds re: NFL being skittish on Rosen — which could be fortunate for the Bills.

https://theundefeated.com/features/josh-rosen-ucla-quarterback-gets-a-taste-of-what-outspoken-black-athletes-experience-all-the-time/

https://deadspin.com/josh-rosen-is-allowed-to-have-opinions-1823588151

This mock draft is what I think is most likely, except I think the Bills trade to 4 instead of the Dolphins, and the Browns will take Darnold at 1 instead of Allen. The Tyrod trade paves the path with Cleveland, IMO.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-dolphins-trade-up-for-josh-rosen-two-freak-defenders-go-in-top-10/

Either way I would be very very surprised if Cleveland stays at both 1 and 4. 

If Browns were smart.. 

No !! really

it is possible the changing of the guard has improved the Intelligence quotient overall in Cleveland.
Take Barkley and be sure to to take Darnold as well if thats The Guy. Why compromise. They have the picks and the money. Sashi should be getting high fives from Gettleman if he nails the draft. Giants Browns Bills perhaps Colts might all know what they covet.
Broncos will want a trade up . Because Elway.

19 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

What offense has Dabol ever fixed? I’m not thrilled with our choice of OC. 

He changed up  offense late last season to a passing game and had great success. I read that.More than once. I don't follow college games. I think one of his qualities will be flexibility via his good resume of Teachers