Is Josh Rosen really the QB that the Bills covet?

PIZ

36 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Before trading up to get Rosen, I would hope that the Bills would go through whatever back channels would be necessary (such as his agent) to make sure that he would be willing to play in Buffalo.

Which they probably did at the combine

Well , the Bills aren't going to reveal which QB they have ranked as their top target. Cleveland has the capital to control this draft, so I don't see them needing a scenario where they would swap QBs or anything. They can make a strategic move and draft both Barkley AND their top QB choice pretty easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

if we had tanked,  and could take any QB with our high first round pick,  id go with Rosen.    Hes by far the best passing QB in this draft.   word is hes probably the most intelligent as well.   2 strengths i would love to have in a QB.     But to mortgage the future for him,  im not sold. 

I keep reading this and I don't understand the logic.

If you tank, it means you suck, and you have more holes than a seine net.  Yeah, you get a high pick you can use on the QB, but you've got more holes than you have picks in one year.

If you're mediocre, it means you have holes and you have picks, and if you have accumulated picks you can swap them up for a QB and have more holes than you have picks, or you can try to fill all the holes with one year's picks, in which case you still need a QB.

How is one worse than the other, to where one is "mortgaging the future" and the other is chill?

Suck or tank = more holes than 1 draft can fill

Mediocre, extra picks, trade up = more holes than 1 draft can fill

Both ways - it takes time.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

We will learn a lot based on which vet QB they bring in. With only Peterman on the roster, they need to add 2-3 more QBs before camp. If they bring in a guy who is a career backup (ie Chase Daniel), you know they are taking Rosen or Mayfield because they will start day 1. If they bring in Foles, Bradford, etc. I think they are planning on bringing in a more raw rookie like Darnold or Lamar. I don’t think Mason Rudolph is raw but I don’t think he’s good either and is going to end up going in the 2nd or later. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Well , the Bills aren't going to reveal which QB they have ranked as their top target. Cleveland has the capital to control this draft, so I don't see them needing a scenario where they would swap QBs or anything. They can make a strategic move and draft both Barkley AND their top QB choice pretty easily. 

Yeah - Cleveland would be straight up insane to not take Barkley with their #1 - no one knows which of these guys is for sure better than the other 3-5 guys.  They can get the best RB talent to come out in years and then even w/o trading still get at absolute worst their third (and more likely 2nd b/c Indy isn't going QB) choice out of a grab-bag of equivalent QB prospects.

Edited by BobChalmers

42 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

if we had tanked,  and could take any QB with our high first round pick,  id go with Rosen.    Hes by far the best passing QB in this draft.   word is hes probably the most intelligent as well.   2 strengths i would love to have in a QB.     But to mortgage the future for him,  im not sold.  

Scariest thing about Rosen for me is whether he would actually want to play in this city.

hes a bright kid,  and when i look at him i see Eli Manning  not wanting to play in San Diego.

lot of investment for a  kid if thats the case.

Think Mayfield would be a better fit here,  but i dont like the offense hes coming from.   

His lack of mobility scares me. QBs need to make plays when things break down, I'm not sure Rosen is that guy. A statuesque QB that's already had concussion issues isn't my top choice for the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 3

Beane's a sneaky little ****...who knows what he's thinking.  He is really good at double speak.  It's that aw-shucks Southern thing...

All we know for sure is that the Bills have one QB under contract right now and Beane said publicly he will have a vet on the roster.  Is Peterman a vet? Hardly. 

Logic says there is something in place to sign a vet and move up in the draft.  The next few weeks will be full on Beane....

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think Cleveland already know what Bills via Beane want to accomplish at QB. I do believe that sincerely.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

We will learn a lot based on which vet QB they bring in. With only Peterman on the roster, they need to add 2-3 more QBs before camp. If they bring in a guy who is a career backup (ie Chase Daniel), you know they are taking Rosen or Mayfield because they will start day 1. If they bring in Foles, Bradford, etc. I think they are planning on bringing in a more raw rookie like Darnold or Lamar. I don’t think Mason Rudolph is raw but I don’t think he’s good either and is going to end up going in the 2nd or later. 

LOL likes he's not even there!

Agree if its Foles they are after Jackson or even Allen

Rudolph is like signing a mediocre QB in FA to be the face of the franchise-NO THANKS

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think Cleveland already know what Bills via Beane want to accomplish at QB. I do believe that sincerely.

I also think Dave Gettleman knows...and I think Beane is playing the Giants and the Browns and even possibly the Colts against one another to get the best deal. 

I think the Bills have to include the 2019 #1 in any package.  If teams think the Bills will badly regress next year (Vegas odds right now say the Bills are a bottom quarter of the league team), that pick is prime. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think Gettelman, Beane and Dorsey are running this draft at the top. Browns are taking Barkley 1 and since they are, the Giants are trading down to rebuild the lines. Browns can still get a QB like Darnold, Mayfield, even Allen by trading back up to 3 or just staying at 4 while Colts draft Chubb. And yes Beane knows they're not taking Rosen.

Edited by horned dogs

Based on what McDermott and Beane seem to like in a prospect -- and with this Bills team's emphasis on character, faith, "respecting the process", etc -- my guess is that Darnold and Allen are the QBs they like. 

Now, if I had MY way, they'd draft Baker Mayfield.

But this Rosen stuff? To me, it's a smokescreen. Nothing about him seems to mesh with McDermott describes as the "DNA" they look for. Darnold and Allen fit the Bill (excuse the pun). I really, REALLY hope they don't take Allen, but that's a different story for a different day...

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

LOL likes he's not even there!

Agree if its Foles they are after Jackson or even Allen

Rudolph is like signing a mediocre QB in FA to be the face of the franchise-NO THANKS

Lol I meant to say that Rudolph isn’t raw (but also isn’t good)

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I am starting to think Bradford could be an option.........he's unlikely to get much of a commitment anywhere but would be a great bridge to Darnold in particular.

He also knows Darnold having worked with that group of QB's some at the Elite 11 camp so I don't think you'd get a freeze-out from him as your vet.

Rosen was at that camp too, obviously, but he was "somewhat less coachable" than Darnold at the time.B-) 

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am starting to think Bradford could be an option.........he's unlikely to get much of a commitment anywhere but would be a great bridge to Darnold in particular.

He also knows Darnold having worked with that group of QB's some at the Elite 11 camp so I don't think you'd get a freeze-out from him as your vet.

Rosen was at that camp too, obviously, but he was "somewhat less coachable" than Darnold at the time.B-) 

How about Matt Moore? Carolina/ UCLA connection to back up /transition to Rosen!

2 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

How about Matt Moore? Carolina/ UCLA connection to back up /transition to Rosen!

Bradford is much better..........but also I don't think Moore wants to actually have to play unless it's just filling in for a game or two at the end of the season...........and my gut feeling is that he'd retire rather than move to Buffalo.........that's why he's been taking less to be the backup in Miami for years.