Post-Combine QB Poll

Post-Combine QB  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your top choice QB. Assuming we can get any? (i.e. they all fall to 21, we trade to 1, etc.)

• Baker Mayfield
    • Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold
    • Josh Allen
    • Lamar Jackson

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Accuracy and completion percentage aren't the same thing. 

None of them were inaccurate college passers. 

Inaccurate college QBs include: EJ Manuel, Jake Locker, Josh Freeman, Vince Young and JP Losman. 

I know it's not; that's why I said kinda Matt Ryan. His completion percentage would suggest he was absolutely inaccurate but it was more spotty accuracy rather than legitimately inaccurate for him. Stafford and Cam were definitely inaccurate despite Cam's stats suggesting otherwise.

Just now, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Well, no matter who they draft they have to tailor the offense to their skillset somewhat anyhow. This is something I've read (but admitting I don't have first hand knowledge of) that Daboll does really well. If a shorter guy needs more snaps out of shotgun, so be it. I believe McCoy ran better out of shotgun anyways.

Honestly I'm with you on that, I was just saying that perhaps Beane prefers a more standard prototypical pocket passer this time around.  I don't have too much of a problem with Mayfield, especially with guys like Brees and Wilson in the league who are doing well even though they are shorter.  The comment on mobile was more towards a Lamar Jackson type guy.  Guys like Darnold and Rosen are your more prototypical guys, but I like Rosen better than Darnold beause I think he is more NFL ready, which is why he is my QB prospect of choice.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I know it's not; that's why I said kinda Matt Ryan. His completion percentage would suggest he was absolutely inaccurate but it was more spotty accuracy rather than legitimately inaccurate for him. Stafford and Cam were definitely inaccurate despite Cam's stats suggesting otherwise.

Stafford's scouting report disagrees:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matthew-stafford?id=79860

"Consistent with excellent accuracy to all levels of the field. ... Consistent placing the deep out on the far shoulder of his receiver, away from the defender. ... Has good deep accuracy and trajectory."

Matt Ryan:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

"Very accurate passer when flushed out of the pocket, but has the strength to step up and absorb punishment... Very good game manager who has the pinpoint accuracy to put the ball into tight areas and keeps the receivers in their routes, doing a nice job of hitting them out of the breaks..."

Cam I'll concede. His fundamentals were all over the place in college and he still struggles with it in the NFL. 

Edited by jrober38

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Everyone voting Allen.

Why?

Legit question.

And if you're argument is arm strength and measurables alone... may I refer you to former top overall pick for the Oakland Raiders Jamarcuss Russell?

I voted Allen because I think he has the highest ceiling of all of this years QB's. It is ridiculous to compare Allen to Russell, just like it is ridiculous to compare Mayfield to Manziel.  Those 2 QB's failed for personal reasons off of the football field, not because they lacked talent. If you make that comparison, ANY of them could fail because of drugs, booze, bad work ethic etc...

In my opinion, there is not a single QB in this class who is guaranteed not to be a bust, including Darnold.  They all have red flags, and yes, Allen's accuracy is a concern, but IF he can be coached up and improve his mechanics and vision, he has the most upside of the bunch. And yes, I know that is a big if...

41 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

I wasn't aware Allen played a down in the NFL yet. Nothing will be proven until he gets on the field. Everything at this point is speculation, on Allen and the rest of these QB's. You don't know any more than anyone else how these guys will turn out. So let people have their opinions. Jeez I can't wait for the draft to be over. 

You seem upset.

Why?

3 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

Honestly, Allen gives me EJ flashbacks in a really bad way.  Mayfield is a very good prospect, but I think Rosen is the guy that will be the better QB long term.  Pocket passers tend to stick around longer in the NFL then the more mobile guys like Mayfield.  If I'm choosing between Mayfield, Rosen, and Allen, I take Rosen 100% of the time.

And yet one of the big question marks about Rosen appears to be durability.  Mayock kept mentioning pocket awareness as something Rosen lacks.  I still think Rosen worth strong consideration, but Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold is my order of preference.  I just hope we can move up and get one of the big three.

I voted Darnold.  Strong arm, mobile, can move in the pocket and still make a great throw.  I hate how sloppy he is with the rock though.   He will give it away.

Rosen will be in the pocket.  He's not giving a team the option of running.  And his concussions/injuries are concerning.

Mayfield has a lot to like, but at his height I don't know.  He's not as strong armed or athletic as Wilson or Bree's.  

Allen has great potential but that accuracy...  if he improves that then he's John Elway, Jr.

Jackson at 21 would be my choice if he were available.  Can do multiple things to help a team win.  The accuracy is a concern, but he dominated at times and he played against a consistently higher level of competition than Allen.

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Stafford's scouting report disagrees:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matthew-stafford?id=79860

"Consistent with excellent accuracy to all levels of the field. ... Consistent placing the deep out on the far shoulder of his receiver, away from the defender. ... Has good deep accuracy and trajectory."

Matt Ryan:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-ryan?id=310

"Very accurate passer when flushed out of the pocket, but has the strength to step up and absorb punishment... Very good game manager who has the pinpoint accuracy to put the ball into tight areas and keeps the receivers in their routes, doing a nice job of hitting them out of the breaks..."

Cam I'll concede. His fundamentals were all over the place in college and he still struggles with it in the NFL. 

And Cam still isn’t an accurate QB.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

And yet one of the big question marks about Rosen appears to be durability.  Mayock kept mentioning pocket awareness as something Rosen lacks.  I still think Rosen worth strong consideration, but Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold is my order of preference.  I just hope we can move up and get one of the big three.

Funny, because Rosen is a statue. So his lack of pocket awareness and inability to avoid pressure are going to be a problem.

I like Rosen. He gets the ball out quick and places the ball so the receiver can make a move without getting tackled immediately.  Don't know about durability but it stands to reason that if he is getting rid of the ball quick he is less likely to get hurt.  Plus, pocket passers still rule the NFL.

5 hours ago, jrober38 said:

When was the last time an inaccurate college QB succeeded in the NFL?

Jim Kelly was 55%. I could care less what this kid did in college, and the same goes for all the others. We don't know how that'll translate to the NFL. 

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You seem upset.

Why?

Not upset at all. I love armchair QB's that think they can predict the future, but sit in their parents basement while updating their indeed resume so they can get that spring time car wash job. 

4 minutes ago, 707BillsFan said:

Jim Kelly was 55%. I could care less what this kid did in college, and the same goes for all the others. We don't know how that'll translate to the NFL. 

Jim Kelly played in college 35 years ago.

Assuming we don't know is ignorance. The history of QBs with accuracy problems who failed in the NFL is extremely long over the past 20 years. It's not a flaw that modern day QBs overcome. 

Predicting QB success isn't hard. Just focus on the guys who completely dominated college football and ignore the guys who were middle of the pack QBs in the Mountain West Conference. 

Edited by jrober38