Rams will not tag Watkins

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Sammy is a turd, always will be. Complete joke that Whaley drafted him as high as he did.

No offense, but this is an unbelievably stupid comment.  He was one of the top 4 players in the entire draft entering the draft.  What do you mean its a joke he was drafted so high LMAO.  He went right at the spot he was projected lol.  

You can be mad at Whaley for trading up, but to call it a joke for how high he went is absurd.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but this is an unbelievably stupid comment.  He was one of the top 4 players in the entire draft entering the draft.  What do you mean its a joke he was drafted so high LMAO.  He went right at the spot he was projected lol.  

You can be mad at Whaley for trading up, but to call it a joke for how high he went is absurd.  

His production speaks for itself. It's bad. He's bad. You're bad and should feel bad. I've never seen a person make so many excuses for an average player.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Luka said:

His production speaks for itself. It's bad. He's bad. You're bad and should feel bad. I've never seen a person make so many excuses for an average player.

You said on the draft...your comment was worthless, you know it, and I know it.  He was one of the top 4 players in the draft, and many thought one of the two best if not the best.  So for him to go in the top 5 was not a joke, it was exactly where he was projected to go and rated to go.  You looking back on it now as if some sort of Hindsight hero is both stupid and pointless and ZERO relevancy on when and where he was actually drafted based on information at the time of the draft.

But for you to understand that would require you stay in the basis of facts and reality when discussing when and where he was drafted.  And staying grounded in facts and reality around here is a big ask.  

Hindsight?

Was Khalil Mack available, yes or no?

You should go watch tennis, you really know dick about football. Sammy was not the best player on the board at 4, only in your world where you two are happily married living on a yacht in San Fransisco Bay.

Edited by Luka

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You said on the draft...your comment was worthless, you know it, and I know it.  He was one of the top 4 players in the draft, and many thought one of the two best if not the best.  So for him to go in the top 5 was not a joke, it was exactly where he was projected to go and rated to go.  You looking back on it now as if some sort of Hindsight hero is both stupid and pointless and ZERO relevancy on when and where he was actually drafted based on information at the time of the draft.

But for you to understand that would require you stay in the basis of facts and reality when discussing when and where he was drafted.  And staying grounded in facts and reality around here is a big ask.  

Watkins was a top five player in his draft year and most draft years. That's how talented he was. That's an easy judgment to make. The issue is in a draft that had other highly rated receivers (acknowledged not as highly rated) was it worth it to give up  next year's first round pick for him? I say no because we didn't have a qb that could maximize this receiver's bountiful talents. It's comparable to making a major investment in an elite back without having a credible OL to allow the back's talent to be actualized. Whaley took the approach that with an elite receiver you will elevate the play of the qb. The is a backward way of looking at the situation. The right approach would have been to have a qb in place who was capable of maximizing the talents of the receiver that the team at a pricey cost invested in. 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They made the playoffs inspite of an awful passing game with trash receivers. 

Watch the Bills use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR.?

Just because they would've let him go doesn't mean it's the right move. 

It's too early to say on the trade. Bills could use that pick and draft another Zay Jones. Or they can use that pick to trade up and get a franchise QB. Again way too early to say.

No, it's not too early to say on the trade.  The Bills absolutely made the right move.  They weren't going to re-sign him for several reasons (attitude, injuries, production, and potential salary demands) so they dealt him for a 2nd rounder and a player who helped them immensely, and still made the playoffs, when most people thought they were tanking the season.  Changing the culture and making the playoffs were huge and I think we're seeing the effects of it.

The only way you could say they made the wrong move is if you believed that keeping Sammy meant winning the SB.  It didn't.  And Sammy wasn't going to put up huge numbers with the Bills, and his production with the Rams does nothing to say otherwise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

Whaley screwed the franchise trading up for that bust. Thinking trading for Watkins would fix an inaccurate Manuel, total idiot.

You got that right.

Watching the draft with 2 friends, I kept telling them (non bills fans) I want the Bills to trade up and get Khalil Mack.

When the trade was announced I was "fist pumping" and then came the pick and I went.............WWHHAAATTT.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Watkins was a top five player in his draft year and most draft years. That's how talented he was. That's an easy judgment to make. The issue is in a draft that had other highly rated receivers (acknowledged not as highly rated) was it worth it to give up  next year's first round pick for him? I say no because we didn't have a qb that could maximize this receiver's bountiful talents. It's comparable to making a major investment in an elite back without having a credible OL to allow the back's talent to be actualized. Whaley took the approach that with an elite receiver you will elevate the play of the qb. The is a backward way of looking at the situation. The right approach would have been to have a qb in place who was capable of maximizing the talents of the receiver that the team at a pricey cost invested in. 

I told him I didn't have an issue if he was upset that Whaley traded up.  He said it was a joke that Sammy was drafted so high in general.  Which was an absurd statement given many thought he was the best offensive player in that draft and was projected as a top 5 pick.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Watch the Bills use that 2nd round pick they got for Sammy on a WR.?

We didn't trade the career of Sammy Watkins for a 2nd round pick, we traded 1 year of Sammy Watkins for a 2nd round pick. It's amazing how many fans still don't understand this. And if we do draft a WR with that 2nd round pick, we'll have him under contract for 4 years at an incredibly cheap price. Big difference. 

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You got that right.

Watching the draft with 2 friends, I kept telling them (non bills fans) I want the Bills to trade up and get Khalil Mack.

When the trade was announced I was "fist pumping" and then came the pick and I went.............WWHHAAATTT.

I had the same reaction, thought they were getting Mack, instead it was the prima donna.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

We didn't trade the career of Sammy Watkins for a 2nd round pick, we traded 1 year of Sammy Watkins for a 2nd round pick. It's amazing how many fans still don't understand this. And if we do draft a WR with that 2nd round pick, we'll have him under contract for 4 years at an incredibly cheap price. Big difference. 

Well- 15 regular season games anyway.... and 593 yds plus that huge playoff game vs Atlanta where he had an additional catch for 23. 

spot on. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I told him I didn't have an issue if he was upset that Whaley traded up.  He said it was a joke that Sammy was drafted so high in general.  Which was an absurd statement given many thought he was the best offensive player in that draft and was projected as a top 5 pick.

It doesn't matter how great a receiver is when his talents can't be fulfilled because of the caliber of qb/s he is playing with. The lesson of the story is obvious. When you don't have an adequate qb it reverberates throughout the offense. 

The sequence in building a roster is important. The priority should have been to get a qb first. After that position was secured then it would make more sense to expensively invest in a top shelf receiver. The reverse happened under Whaley. Whaley is out of a job for not understanding what his priority should have been. The former GM thought he could prop up a limited qb. He was stupendously wrong. The take away is obvious: Get a freaking qb!!!!! 

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would take Sammy back on a similar contract that Terrell Pryor got with Washington....1 year $8 million "prove it" deal.

He is going to get a big deal though. This is the perfect storm for Sammy. It is a terrible WR draft and there are teams with tons of cap space and a WR need. I think he ends up getting around $14M annually. If I had to guess he goes to SF.

• Like (+1) 2