Rumor: L.Jackson 2nd QB on Bills Board

9 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Beane's experiance drafting Newton I would not be suprised Jackson would be highly thought of in Buffalo.  He needs to work on his footwork coming from under center.  He has the arm talent and strength to make every throw.  He is more accurate than Allen with just as much upside.  

Taylor a bridge to Jackson makes alot of sense to me.  I would prefer Rosen but Jackson could end up being better.

I would not mind keeping all our picks, choosing Jackson at 21, and using Taylor one more year. 

7 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

just to interject, I don't know what your basis for disagreeing with 26 on this is...

it is WIDELY known throughout college and the pro's that Petrinos passing offense is pretty complex and similar to what NFL coordinators are doing. Jackson got a LOT of rushing yards and TDs in his time at Louisville but that was most certainly not a result of plays breaking down and Jackson scrambling and trying to make things happen (ALA Tyrod Taylor as the Bills QB).

Most of Jackson's rushes were designed rushing plays. Jackson very much led an NFL style offense that relied on him making reads and progressions, and this season hung tough in the pocket to prove that he could/would..

All of this while playing in an extremely untalented offense from a personnel stand point. NOT ONE Louisville offensive player has been drafted in 2 years....DRAFTED, like in all 7 rounds...not one!!!! That is freaking incredible. What Jackson performed (like winning a freaking heisman!!!!) with a bunch of scrubs supporting him is damn impressive and should be factored into all comments regarding his skill set. 

So I ask again, on what basis do you disagree? Just, like, your opinion man?

....so at the end of the day, how do you perceive what McBeane?McD/McDaboll are looking for relative to their draft pick and does the Jackson style fit?......I'm sure there would be a significant reduction in "designed rushing plays" to conserve the kid's health at the NFL level, but do you think his "style" may fit the trio's "mold"?...

14 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

God I hope not.

Running quarterback's almost never hold up in the NFL. 

There was a study a few years ago which found mobile QBs do not actually suffer more injuries than traditional pocket QBs. Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Cam Newton haven't been injured much. While pocket QBs like Roethlisberger, Wentz, and Palmer have been injured lately. Then you have a guy like Aaron Rodgers who can be both and he's been injured a couple times. There's no consistency to it.

13 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I would not mind keeping all our picks, choosing Jackson at 21, and using Taylor one more year. 

If we had Jackson here, I'd rather have a pocket type QB that he can learn from. He already knows how to run. The only thing Taylor can be is an example of what not to do.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

After the combine, I get the distinct feeling that Lamar Jackson will be going much higher than #21. IMO this will be the shocker of the night. I could see the Bills moving up to get him too.

I'm just not buying the national NFL media echo chamber of the pecking order of the QBs. I think that Jackson threw the ball well enough to settle any notion that he'd be any kind of a disaster passing the ball. The pundits picked him apart, but I saw real NFL throws with some zip on the ball. Then on top of that, you have the DeShean Watson elusiveness skills on steroids. Given a decent roster and a staff that will cater the offense to Jackson like the Texans did with Watson, I honestly do not see a better prospect than Lamar Jackson. Others throw the ball much better like Mayfield, but Jackson tops him with his crazy athletic elusive skills (rewatch the videos) and likability as a leader and the face of the franchise. I just think he will end up being better than Mayfield and all the others.

3 minutes ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

If we had Jackson here, I'd rather have a pocket type QB that he can learn from. He already knows how to run. The only thing Taylor can be is an example of what not to do.

TT can't teach any rookie QB anything...

Well, maybe how to dress, he does have a penchant for winning best dressed player before the games from the Bills website...

I can't believe the hype around this guy. He didn't look great throwing the ball at the combine. His deep ball is especially terrible. He is almost exactly the same player as Tyrod.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There was a study a few years ago which found mobile QBs do not actually suffer more injuries than traditional pocket QBs. Russell Wilson, Kaepernick, Cam Newton haven't been injured much. While pocket QBs like Roethlisberger, Wentz, and Palmer have been injured lately. Then you have a guy like Aaron Rodgers who can be both and he's been injured a couple times. There's no consistency to it.

......possibly Wilson....seemed to take more of a beating with a porous OL, but the kid does have the better knack IMO as to WHEN or IF to pull it down prematurely...he is not one read and run......Kaep's body of work is incomplete (MORE concerned with tats 'n poses anyway versus football-could care less about his politics).....Cam is 250+ lbs.......big difference there...Bridgewater did show some promise pre-injury, but is probably a longer term project in the NFL....Watson showed promise with a couple of starts, but grades INCOMPLETE due to his injury...so where does Jackson fit in the grand scheme of things and who knows what McBeane/McD/McDaboll are looking for anyway?.......

2 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

After the combine, I get the distinct feeling that Lamar Jackson will be going much higher than #21. IMO this will be the shocker of the night. I could see the Bills moving up to get him too.

I'm just not buying the national NFL media echo chamber of the pecking order of the QBs. I think that Jackson threw the ball well enough to settle any notion that he'd be any kind of a disaster passing the ball. The pundits picked him apart, but I saw real NFL throws with some zip on the ball. Then on top of that, you have the DeShean Watson elusiveness skills on steroids. Given a decent roster and a staff that will cater the offense to Jackson like the Texans did with Watson, I honestly do not see a better prospect than Lamar Jackson. Others throw the ball much better like Mayfield, but Jackson tops him with his crazy athletic elusive skills (rewatch the videos) and likability as a leader and the face of the franchise. I just think he will end up being better than Mayfield and all the others.

I agree with this post!!

41 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I agree with this post!!

I was on the Mahomes and Watson train last year, and I have a feeling that Jackson's going another good one. The draft season is about the media just looking for reasons not to like a QB and to pick them apart (Jackson's the only one getting picked apart it seems). I see more reasons not to like Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen than I do for Jackson who looks custom built for the modern "RPO" NFL.

Yeah sure, just what we need a younger unproven Tyrod Taylor type QB. Why can't we just have a normal QB with a normal play and throwing style, every guy we ever get is either terrible or needs everything to be changed in order to be a NFL QB, no thank you, this draft is full of traditional pocket passers.

Edited by greeneblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2018 at 5:52 PM, Ittakestime said:

I'm sure many seen that tweet from Schefter:

If you go in the replies, you will see Jason McIntyre from Fox Sports replies:

McIntyre seems to be pretty well known so it's not like it is some random posting that.

Lol, Did they hire Whaley back timeout QBs??

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Wentz got hurt running though..... and in fact he runs more than people would think - same with Luck.  But your general point is right.... the evidence shows you are just as likely to get injured taking a hit in the pocket and rolling an ankle under a lineman etc as you are running.  

....Uh.....IF the idea that Lamar Jacksons running plays were by design......and if he has been running a Bobby Petrino "Complex NFL offense"......then doesn't that just make his crap completion pct even more glaringly bad?  And wouldn't also stand to reason that if you have a QB who can run like Lamar can....and who isn't the most adept passer, you'd probably WOULD design run plays for him...lots of them.  

BUST.  Running backs don't play QB.......because they can't complete more than 60% of their passes too.  BUST.

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....so at the end of the day, how do you perceive what McBeane?McD/McDaboll are looking for relative to their draft pick and does the Jackson style fit?......I'm sure there would be a significant reduction in "designed rushing plays" to conserve the kid's health at the NFL level, but do you think his "style" may fit the trio's "mold"?...

I think, because it is the NFL and the bodies are bigger/faster/stronger, it would be an insane idea to have the boatload of designed runs for Jackson that he saw in college. Not if you want your QB to stay healthy....now with that said, he has done a great job (similar to Shady) of avoiding the big hits. His legs are a part of his game, no doubt, that can really help an offense. I would guess he would put on bulk, you would still have plays that get him in space (some RPO, roll outs, naked bootlegs)...

My main point was, people need to not view Jackson as a running QB that can pass, but rather a fully capable pocket passer. Take his legs completely out of the game and hes still a good QB.

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

My main point was, people need to not view Jackson as a running QB that can pass, but rather a fully capable pocket passer. Take his legs completely out of the game and hes still a good QB.

I've seen him play....a lot. I don't agree with this assessment at all. 

If Beane screws up this draft I will be so furious.

He is in near-prime position.  The Bills sort of lucked out with the draft capital they ended up with, considering what a player Tre White turned out to be.  Yes they should’ve taken a QB and yes they should’ve traded with Houston not KC, but to end up with an extra first AND a top-five (in retrospect) player, heading into a QB-stacked draft, is just amazing.

He HAS to move up and get his guy.  I don’t care what Elway is doing.  I don’t care what the Jets have going on.  THIS HAS TO BE THE YEAR - GO GET YOUR GUY BRANDON.

Staying at 21 or trading up for the sixth-best QB would be a disaster worth firing the GM for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1