Bills need all 8 picks in the draft to get better.

Casmo

2 hours ago, wppete said:

It’s really expensive to trade up high in the first round. I don’t think it’s worth it however I really do like Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield. It’s going to be an interesting draft that’s for sure. 

If you really like Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield, that means you think they are potential franchise qbs.  It's worth it.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes.

Moreover, if McBeane and Co have the attitude "we have taken our shot at QB, we're done", they have the wrong attitude no better than the last 2 decades.  They need to ID someone they think can play and take a shot, do their best to develop him, and still be willing to take more shots to improve further. 

It wasn't a problem that we drafted Trent Edwards and EJ Manuel per se, or signed Ryan Fitzpatrick.  It's that we didn't take another shot in the top 4 rounds for 6 years after Edwards, or for 5 years after EJM.

Nicely put. 

1 hour ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Well, this sounds like my my cue to speak up.   seems that both 1sts and our 2nd gets us barely to the top 10, leaves us with a high first , a second, third, a fourth and two 5ths.  If they really like a couple guys and one of them falls to 10, which could easily happen as all the QBs have some issue or other (there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft) , they have the ammo to go get him and still end up with 6 picks in the top 166 players.   That is a really good result,  get three starters in all likelihood and you get a QB you really  like.   and 8&8 Forever is no longer.   Agree? 

Or keep our Second, use next year's first and maybe a player such as Cordy. We can crack the top six I think we'll get a quality quarterback and still have some picks left. so yes I agree with your general direction here. And I did have you in mind when I used "perpetual 8 & 8"  in my post!

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

If you don't get a bunch of new talent quick, the Bills will be a 4-12 team next year, even with a new QB........the Bills had the second oldest roster in the league this past season...the  Bills are getting "long in the tooth".  (don't know where that expression came from)

You could cut out the dead wood and bring in a new wave of older, low budget players.  You can play that game if your hand is forced.  What you can't do every year is have a legitimate chance to get a franchise qb.  Next year is next year; long-term success can accomodate a down year if need be.  Free agency and future drafts can build up a team.  Very short-sighted to just look at the evident deficiencies on the team and use that as a rationale for not going after the qb.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

So you view him as a 2nd round prospect? You don't take a QB in the 2nd if you don't feel he can be the guy. I think we field a better team with Rudolph + 7 picks versus Darnold/Rosen + 4 picks.

I think the gap between Rudolph and Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield is significant.  I even prefer Jackson/Allen to Rudolph.  I think Rudolph's ceiling is maybe Andy Dalton.  Obviously, if you judge him better, you will have a higher opinion.  I think Rudolph is a third round talent.  If he weren't tall and looked the part, he's JAG.

Two points:

First, since Jim Kelly retired the Bills have spent only one 1st or 2nd Rd pick on a QB - EJ Manuel (from a weak QB class that proved to have no quality starters available). The result was the longest playoff drought in all of the major 4 North American sports leagues. To break it, the Bills needed a stellar defense and a miracle 4th down play from the Cincinnati Bengals.

Secondly, the team traded back last season and passed on Watson and Mahomes (both of whom may be top flight starters for years to come) to stockpile picks for this QB-rich draft. If there ever was a time to trade up it is this year. To fail to do so will more-than-likely regulate the Bills to another stretch of non-playoff seasons. In the NFL if you don't have a top-tier QB you are nowhere.

It's time for us to put nowhere in the rearview mirror for good.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Two points:

First, since Jim Kelly retired the Bills have spent only one 1st or 2nd Rd pick on a QB - EJ Manuel (from a weak QB class that proved to have no quality starters available). The result was the longest playoff drought in all of the major 4 North American sports leagues. To break it, the Bills needed a stellar defense and a miracle 4th down play from the Cincinnati Bengals.

Secondly, the team traded back last season and passed on Watson and Mahomes (both of whom may be top flight starters for years to come) to stockpile picks for this QB-rich draft. If there ever was a time to trade up it is this year. To fail to do so will more-than-likely regulate the Bills to another stretch of non-playoff seasons. In the NFL if you don't have a top-tier QB you are nowhere.

It's time for us to put nowhere in the rearview mirror for good.

JP Losman-22nd overall (ironically)--other than that you are dead on ChevyVM... All of us try to forget JP and EJ....My take is we no longer draft a QB that goes by his initials.

26CB and Hapless have both said it well.  A Franchise QB masks a lot of other needs and sets the team up for sustainable contention.   Beane and McDermott are not going to be satisfied with eeeeeking into the playoffs and getting eliminated...they want a Lombardi and so do we.  You sell the freaking farm to get a QB you believe in...If any or all of Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or Allen tickle their fancy -- you get to the top 10 or top 5 and grab them.

The Bills have a ton of cap money after this season.  They will fill holes in FA not the draft next year.  Next year's first and second rounders are fair game in this draft if they have someone in which they believe. Next year's picks will be attractive because there is the sentiment is that there is a good chance the Bills will take a step back (I was in Vegas this week and we are in the bottom third of the odds for the Super Bowl).  McDermott is banking on his and his staff's ability to get the team to overachieve again next year to keep us in contention and I like those odds. 

My bet--Beane already has a deal with Gettlemen in place to move up....Its a haul and some will complain -- but this is about winning for the long term and the only way you do that is to get a Franchise QB.

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, die hard bills fan said:

Let me remind you of what no franchise QB means - no playoffs in 17 years and the one playoff game we played we scored  ZERO touchdowns.

And lets remind you a 1st round QB and the first QB taken in rd1 was EJ Manuel.

JP Losman was a 1st round QB traded up for by giving up a #1.

Give up picks for that and we are done

Edited by jahbonas

5 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

And lets remind you a 1st round QB and the first QB taken in rd1 was EJ Manuel.

JP Losman was a 1st round QB traded up for by giving up a #1.

Give up picks for that and we are done

You expect Beane to make decisions based on what happened in 2004 and 2013 when he wasnt't around at OBD? 

You guys are making a mistake, you believe every hole can be filled in one draft. The Bills are two drafts away

Get your QB this year no matter what, use the rest of this years draft to fill the biggest needs

5 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

Ah yes, another post about how we don't need a top flight QB. Yes, so Billsy.

Waddya mean??   They didn't need a top flight (or even medium flight) QB to back-door into one playoff game over the last 18 years, did they??

Haven't read all the replies, but I'm firmly against NOT addressing the quarterback position.

Every NFL roster has holes every single year. There is never a complete roster. The closest to "complete" that I have seen the Bills roster be was the first year of Rex Ryan's tenure. We had quality RB, WR, TE, O-line, Defensive personnel, special teams...and why didn't we win championships? Bad coaching sure, but also because we had NO QUALITY QUARTERBACK!

You can build and build and build your roster as much as you want, but until you have a franchise QB in place, you're just spinning your wheels. Furthermore, once you DO have a franchise QB in place, you can use the cap savings from a cheap 5-year QB contract to build the roster around him. This is the model that the Seahawks, Eagles, Rams, Chiefs, etc are using right now to great effect.

I am beyond sick of saying "wait til next year to get a QB!". If you're not going to draft a quarterback in a year in which there are five 1st round prospects, you have extra draft capital, and it's the first full offseason for a new coach/GM combination, then when ARE you going to draft a QB? I mean...enough already. Get me a QB. Fill in the blanks afterwords. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't understand why you and some others act as if building the Bills into a perennial contender has to be accomplished in one offseason.  Beane is on the record as saying that acquiring a franchise QB is his primary responsibility as the GM and that will be the key to building a team that contends for championships on a sustained basis. 

If we had a top 3 pick I'd definitely say pick a QB as that still leaves you with three more picks in first two rounds.  The concern I have if you trade picks to move up to get that franchise guy, as the OP states you'll no longer have 8 picks and likely none other in first two rounds.  I'd gladly take that trade for the next Jim Kelly and as you state fill the other spots the next season or two.

But the problem is as was just stated in another post, there's a 1 in 4 chance that guy will turn out to be any good.  So now you have no other picks to fill spots and in about two years will realize you still don't have a QB.  Then you'll be starting all over again and blaming it all on we have a poor coaching staff, so will get rid of them too and start over there new too.

I'd rather see them trade one of their 1sts to a team for an extra 2nd and next years 1st.  Then could still fill spots this year and I wouldn't be as concerned next year if you trade away most of your picks to move up high as likely not nearly as many spots to fill. If you pick the wrong guy at least you still have a good strong team overall.

To your point, you're not building the team in one off-season, but fill the other spots first, then go for the QB

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

6 hours ago, Casmo said:

We have four picks in the first 56 picks - potentially all starters if we have the right scout personnel to guide Beane.  QBs are at high price in this draft, since everybody is slobbering over them. Let's not draft a QB.  Listen Tyrod can manage the game and has a winning record when a starter, so let's get some lineman and backers, possible receiver and get better.  

Doug Whaley traded up and it hurt us for a few years. Lets not do that again unless it is a sure thing and a missing piece.  We have several needs especially our O-line and D-lines.  Matthews and Benjamin will be at full strength too.

Jesus, man.  Temper your expectations.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

:lol:

45 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Get your QB this year, let him go through his growing pains. Use the rest of your picks this year and next, along with free agency to build around him.

If they trade up they won't have any picks to build the team.

6 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

So "Tyrod can manage a game?"  He did  managed three points against the Jags. He is abysmal in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. If your vision for the Bills is a perpetual 8 & 8 scenario, yes let's let Tyrod manage the game and use all our picks.

John Elway and Tyrod Taylor are, yes, mutually exclusive with the game on the line. 

6 hours ago, Casmo said:

We have four picks in the first 56 picks - potentially all starters if we have the right scout personnel to guide Beane.  QBs are at high price in this draft, since everybody is slobbering over them. Let's not draft a QB.  Listen Tyrod can manage the game and has a winning record when a starter, so let's get some lineman and backers, possible receiver and get better.  

Doug Whaley traded up and it hurt us for a few years. Lets not do that again unless it is a sure thing and a missing piece.  We have several needs especially our O-line and D-lines.  Matthews and Benjamin will be at full strength too.

Another QB Post? give it a rest.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

If we had a top 3 pick I'd definitely say pick a QB as that still leaves you with three more picks in first two rounds.  The concern I have if you trade picks to move up to get that franchise guy, as the OP states you'll no longer have 8 picks and likely none other in first two rounds.  I'd gladly take that trade for the next Jim Kelly and as you state fill the other spots the next season or two.

But the problem is as was just stated in another post, there's a 1 in 4 chance that guy will turn out to be any good.  So now you have no other picks to fill spots and in about two years will realize you still don't have a QB.  Then you'll be starting all over again and blaming it all on we have a poor coaching staff, so will get rid of them too and start over there new too.

I'd rather see them trade one of their 1sts to a team for an extra 2nd and next years 1st.  Then could still fill spots this year and I wouldn't be as concerned next year if you trade away most of your picks to move up high as likely not nearly as many spots to fill. If you pick the wrong guy at least you still have a good strong team overall.

I repeat. Building the Bills into a perennial contender is not a single offseason proposition.  If there's a QB the Bills believe is their guy a potential franchise QB, they should pay the required cost to acquire him and subsequently build around him.