Does signing Vontae say anything about EJ Gaines?

Ramza86

Yea hes gone. Nice player but hes hurt an awful lot to sign the deal that hes gonna get on the open market. I really like to davis signing. The guy is a great tackler and play press if needed. He will thrive in Mcdermotts system

The Davis signing was smart on multiple levels. If he’s healthy and has some gas left in the tank he can play at an elite level. Also gives leverage for Buffalo with Gaines as they don’t “need” him as badly now. Of course they could use him, but they now have 2 starting caliber corners and can have more flexibility with who they HAVE to sign at corner 

2 minutes ago, Wsam4031 said:

Yea hes gone. Nice player but hes hurt an awful lot to sign the deal that hes gonna get on the open market. I really like to davis signing. The guy is a great tackler and play press if needed. He will thrive in Mcdermotts system

Well lets not forget about Vontae's injury last year. 

To be honest, id rather have both on the team unless the Bills will pursue something else this offseason/draft.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Does it mean hes gone? Do we need to have both? Did we have any rotational guys do well in EJ's absence? I remember there was one guy out there last year that was horrible. 

It just means they aren't letting Gaines hold them over a barrel. It's smart.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s easy to say Gaines will be gone. But you never know. He might like McD zone heavy scheme. His injury history may make the market for him less than he or his agent thinks.  

Not sure if they can, but he would be a guy to place transition tag on.  He is good enough to want to keep, but if a team signs him to big dollars it is an easy decision to let him walk.

E.J. Gaines is GONE. There were rumblings that he was going to leave here as soon as his contract was up. Tre White even implied as much on Gaines' IG at the end of the year. The signing of Vontae guarantees that they're moving on. All of the analysts agree. If you think Vontae Davis, who had multiple options, is anything but a Gaines replacement - you're in denial.

https://buffalofootballbeat.com/2018/02/01/poyer-white-comment-on-ej-gaines-posted-photo-suggesting-bills-departure/

Edited by BillsFanForever19

they saw what Gaines was going to make and didn't think he was worth it.  so they offered that to Davis instead, who has at least done something in this league to earn it.  plus he provides veteran leadership.  he's a McBeane type guy in the community and he has been around the game.  good role model for Tre White to learn from

12 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

It’s easy to say Gaines will be gone. But you never know. He might like McD zone heavy scheme. His injury history may make the market for him less than he or his agent thinks.  

Not sure if they can, but he would be a guy to place transition tag on.  He is good enough to want to keep, but if a team signs him to big dollars it is an easy decision to let him walk.

Eventually, you will

• Like (+1) 1

I think it says more about the coach/GM.  We've seen in the past where the front office would be reactive to players leaving to FA.  At least now they are being proactive in signing a player in case Gaines doesn't want to stick around for the price the bills are willing to pay for him.

• Like (+1) 1

did anyone else catch the interview with tre white on nfl network a week or two back? at one point he was talking about the draft and that he wouldn't mind seeing a corner drafted high becuz they had a spot to fill..... I tried not reading into it too much but it basically made me think that or wonder if gaines may have informed his close teammates already that he had no future plans that included buffalo.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Interesting that last week during an interview on NFLN Trey White mentioned that the Bills had an open CB spot with him lobbying for his former LSU teammate Donte Jackson. May have been related to Gaines not coming back.

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

did anyone else catch the interview with tre white on nfl network a week or two back? at one point he was talking about the draft and that he wouldn't mind seeing a corner drafted high becuz they had a spot to fill..... I tried not reading into it too much but it basically made me think that or wonder if gaines may have informed his close teammates already that he had no future plans that included buffalo.

Yep.