Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

i'm sure Eagles and Rams are feeling dumb for moving up for Wentz and Goff.  They should have stayed where they were and just picked whoever was available

Not every situation is the same. I don't hear anyone saying this group of QBs is better than Wentz or Goff coming out of college.

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Not every situation is the same. I don't hear anyone saying this group of QBs is better than Wentz or Goff coming out of college.

And there are more "good" prospects at QB this year.  That year, only Wentz and Goff were considered top prospects.  Interestingly, Dak Prescott looks to be pretty good and he was picked in the 4th round.

In this draft, I think that Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield are a notch better prospects than Jackson, Allen and maybe Rudolph, but the latter 3 are all certainly still more highly regarded than any QB that came out with Wentz and Goff.  Heck, there are years when any of Jackson, Allen and Rudolph would be the top rated QB in the draft.

8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

it's always so hard to evaluate college QBs because most of them know where they are throwing pre-snap. So you have a QB like Darnold who makes checks and post-snap reads like a real NFL QB, but makes mistakes, fans see that as a negative. I see it as a positive. He's way ahead of most college QBs as a redshirt sophomore. That's what made Luck special.

I’ve watched almost every snap of Darnolds career.

He does so many things well, that a few fumbles and some bad decisions this past year don’t matter to me.

Dude is a stud. He just needs a better haircut.

15 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It was his entire body of work throughout college and his post college path to the draft that contributed to where he was drafted, nothing less. I strongly doubt anyone made a draft determination on him based on his combine performance. It’s just too near the beginning of the process to have that much of an impact. 

Edit: it’s a moot point as it was posted earlier that he is one of several prominent prospects over the years to not throw at the combine.

Here is a link to the story after his poor pro day

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334589/article/mayock-teddy-bridgewaters-pro-day-workout-average-at-best

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Pro day is a different animal than the combine entirely. Makes sense he could hurt his stock when he didn’t perform well in a scripted, rehearsed performance with receivers he’s known forever. But if I had to put the most weight on something, it would be how he did at private team workouts and interviews subsequent to that. 

Edited by K-9

3 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This guy worries me as he could drop and Buffalo goes after him. Small hands, weird delivery. When was the last time a USC QB won the SB...exactly!!

No doubt dude!

Or Arizona, Wisconsin, Delaware, Tennessee, Miami (Ohio)!

4 hours ago, jr1 said:

Mike Leach said a few weeks ago that Darnold and Rosen should've stayed in school 

Why?

All signs point to them both being top5 if not #1 and #2

Other than a year of conditioning, what's it going to change?

For Rosen, just means he might get hurt again and drop his stock.

I mean, unless you mean that the browns are #1 overall, so it would avoid them, although they are almost always top5 lol

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Red flag.

I agree. This is a small red flag. His agent probably told him he's the likely #1 pick and throwing won't elevate his standing any more.  But knowing Sam's personality I'm very surprised he won't be throwing. He's close to Rosen and Josh will be showing off his canon arm. Very odd. He'll nail the interviews once he gets past the first question, " why are you not throwing at the combine"??

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I’ve watched almost every snap of Darnolds career.

He does so many things well, that a few fumbles and some bad decisions this past year don’t matter to me.

Dude is a stud. He just needs a better haircut.

Yikes!  He did so many things WRONG this year that I really doubt you watched every snap. Were you in the bathroom?

17 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't like this. I wonder if there are other guys not throwing. I think if he is the only one, it looks bad. 

Still, he'll probably be #1 overall. And, more importantly, I like him the most, haha. 

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yikes!  He did so many things WRONG this year that I really doubt you watched every snap. Were you in the bathroom?

Dude carried his team, with a very, very poor team around him. The fact that he made it to the draft without sustaining a career ending injury says a lot, considering his o-line.

Edited by Paulus

Johnny Football didn't throw at the combine so Baker Mayfield definitely should.

13 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

This guy worries me as he could drop and Buffalo goes after him. Small hands, weird delivery. When was the last time a USC QB won the SB...exactly!!

Rob Johnson?

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

Still, he'll probably be #1 overall. And, more importantly, I like him the most, haha. 

Dude carried his team, with a very, very poor team around him. The fact that he made it to the draft without sustaining a career ending injury says a lot, considering his o-line.

Perhaps he has some indication from the Browns that they are going to take him. If that is the case, there is no reason for him to throw here. 

17 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Why?

All signs point to them both being top5 if not #1 and #2

Other than a year of conditioning, what's it going to change?

For Rosen, just means he might get hurt again and drop his stock.

I mean, unless you mean that the browns are #1 overall, so it would avoid them, although they are almost always top5 lol

All college coaches say this crap because it is in their best interests for guys to stay for four or five years. College coaches are snakes. They use kids up and spit them out and make millions doing it. Leach is an idiot. Rosen would have looked great running read options for Chip Kelly....Just dumb. 

Like you said, Rosen probably gets killed running Chip's offense and Darnold's stock would likely drop ala Matt Barkley. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1