Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

41 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't like this. I wonder if there are other guys not throwing. I think if he is the only one, it looks bad. 

Yeah I agree...hes not hurt, so this a little puzzling for a guy who is no longer a lock for a top 5 pick and could maybe lock himself into the #1 overall pick with a strong showing.  

This concerns me...is he just not confident enough in his ability to put on a great showing?  Is he worried about getting his mechanics picked apart?

First impression...this is a red flag because he has more to gain than lose by throwing.  Strong showing and he could be first pick in draft or at least first QB off board.  Doesn't impress enough, he wont fall much, if at all.  Its not like he's suddenly going to be a 2nd round pick.  He has very little downside here and more to gain.  So why not throw if you are not hurt?  

One word that comes to mind:  Weak.  I already had concerns that he is mentally weak the way he makes bad decisions every week.  This isn't helping that concern.  I want a confident killer out there on that field.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah I agree...hes not hurt, so this a little puzzling for a guy who is no longer a lock for a top 5 pick and could maybe lock himself into the #1 overall pick with a strong showing.  

This concerns me...is he just not confident enough in his ability to put on a great showing?  Is he worried about getting his mechanics picked apart?

First impression...this is a red flag because he has more to gain than lose by throwing.  Strong showing and he could be first pick in draft or at least first QB off board.  Doesn't impress enough, he wont fall much, if at all.  Its not like he's suddenly going to be a 2nd round pick.  He has very little downside here and more to gain.  So why not throw if you are not hurt?  

One word that comes to mind:  Weak.  I already had concerns that he is mentally weak the way he makes bad decisions every week.  This isn't helping that concern.  I want a confident killer out there on that field.

He's the #1 QB drafted, that's why he isn't throwing. Doesn't have to. 

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 3m3 minutes ago
QB pro days are scripted events with 45-60 throws that show off the QBs strengths. We always hear about how great he was. Clubs put far more stock in a private QB workout and we don’t hear a thing about them. The way it should be

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 1m1 minute ago
Chicago held a private workout with Trubisky last year and everyone involved was sworn to secrecy. Word never leaked out and there were plenty involved. The way it should be!
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

He has the most upside. That's what you're drafting. 

As a USC Alum myself I can tell you that he was a hot mess all throughout this last year.  He reminded me of when I go bowling for the first time in a couple of years. My first game is great and then....not so much!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As a USC Alum myself I can tell you that he was a hot mess all throughout this last year.  He reminded me of when I go bowling for the first time in a couple of years. My first game is great and then....not so much!

Makes him more appealing to me actually. I think he handled a tough year well. 

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

But to be fair, in that Draft, there was Wentz and Goff and basically no one else....in this Draft you could easily have 6 QBs that go on to have very good careers. I'm biased....I've been advocate for the Bills staying put at 21 and taking their guy and then hopefully trading back from 22 to acquire more Draft picks....but, the QB issue remains the same. You don't trade UP in a year where there is a tremendous breadth of talent. To me, the cost to go up to #2 or #3, is so large, that the measurable difference between that QB and the one most likely available at 21, is not enough to lose the talent you forfeit by going that distance to get a QB. 

Rudolph is my first pick at 21, but if he's not there, I've watched more and more of Jackson, and I've now come full circle to thinking he's going to be a good to great NFL QB. I would be perfectly comfortable with him at 21 - and that's assuming he lasts that long...not many former Heisman winners do....

There's only 4 real deal good QB's, which is more than most years, but they will be gone in the top 10.  People could make a case for any of the 4.  I have my own bias but I honestly wouldn't mind if they took any of the 4.  At least they are making QB a priority and not sitting back and waiting. 

I'm done with Tyrod, I don't want a taller Tyrod with Jackson.  Their strengths and weaknesses are the same.  Maybe he's slightly better or maybe he's slightly worse.  I wouldn't be happy with either outcome.  With Rudolph, him being good is so unlikely that it's not worth a 1st round pick for me.  He is in a bs offense playing against teams with no defense.  He basically just lobs the ball to wide open receivers.  Nothing I have seen on film translates to the NFL game.

That brings us to the top 4.  Of them, I think Mayfield has more of a chance than I have given him credit for in the past but he has too much bust potential.  Only a couple of players his size have made it and that's super risky.  Allen too, I wouldn't trade up very far for him, unless there was a way to get him by only giving up the 2x #1's.  Darnold, I'm not sold on his mechanics but he is a football player and he will find a way to be on the field and make things happen.  I would trade up for Rosen in a heartbeat and there's a chance he is available at 5 or 6 so if it only costs the 2x 1sts and a player like Glenn then it's absolutely a no brainer for me.  When he's in the pro bowl in 2 yrs nobody is going to care what we gave up to get him.  So hopefully the order of the top 4 goes like that.  Let the other teams take the riskier players and if so then we have to move up and get someone.

8 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

He's the #1 QB drafted, that's why he isn't throwing. Doesn't have to. 

Really? How can anyone say that though?  

IMO, he is far from the #1 QB drafted right now...not saying he can't be, when I say far from it I am simply talking that there are plenty of people who think Rosen and maybe Allen will be first QB off board.  Personally I dont think Allen has a chance to go any higher than #4 assuming thats the guy Cleveland really does prefer like is being reported.  

But Rosen and Donald are up for grabs.  And to be honest, if Cleveland really does prefer Allen, then Darnold very easily can fall out of the top 5 (or Rosen too if Darnold does go ahead of him) and start to slide because there is no one in the top 5 that is a lock to take a QB except Cle.  So for another QB to go top 5, probably will be in a trade up to get a guy they want and that can easily be Rosen too.  

And if anyone watched Darnold all year like I did here in LA, his tape did NOT scream best QB in the draft.  And I was a guy who started the season droooooling over Darnold and thought he was a lock as the top pick.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TheTruthHurts said:

If you say so.  What I saw in watching EVERY snap of USC this year was a QB that was making the same bad decisions in Week One as he did every week after that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

If you say so.  What I saw in watching EVERY snap of USC this year was a QB that was making the same bad decisions in Week One as he did every week after that.

You evaluate the whole thing. I've compared him to Winston, who also had a tough year heading into the draft. He handled the struggles well, still had many bright spots. Taking his freshman year into account, he is the #1 QB. 

39 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i'm sure Eagles and Rams are feeling dumb for moving up for Wentz and Goff.  They should have stayed where they were and just picked whoever was available

If one of these guys were Wentz or Goff.  I don't think any of them are and if the Bills agree it would be stupid to move way up.  You just want them to pick a QB to pick a QB.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

Wow - given that his mechanics are a genuine concern, I believe he will be punished for this big time on draft day.

With the other guys being there, this reeks of fear he won't match up.

He's ultra competitive when it matters during the games and this decision won't hurt him at all.

22 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

So did Peterman.  How tough a year of throwing to the other team gets  you the most excited?  Darnold did not play like a first-round pick this year.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's ultra competitive when it matters during the games and this decision won't hurt him at all.

Competitive is nice.  Throwing to your own team is better.

26 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

But not at his pro day?

No one to contrast it with I guess is his agent's theory.