Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Darnold is going to go down as a bust. 

That goofy throwing motion is going to be "worked" on by some NFL guru - hopefully not the Bills, please please pretty please not the Bills, and they are going to eff that kid all up from the effed-up-ness that he has now.

2-3 years from now he will be on the street.......goofy mechanics DO not equal greatness at the most important spot in Football......see Teblow.

Not necessarily. While I agree with the larger point about mechanics, especially lower body mechanics,  whether or not a coach decides to re-work a throwing motion depends on whether or not that motion is a detriment to getting a ball out on time and with enough velocity. If Darnold can spin it with elite speed, they won’t mess with it. 

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue though is thats an individual opinion that is not shared equally by all evaluating this draft class.  You have said a couple of conclusive opinion statements as if fact now while ignoring that he isn't seen the same way by everyone and still has plenty to show ahead of this draft to convince others of that.

He is far from being a lock as first QB taken, or #1 overall.  Can he be, absolutely...but you talk about it as a certainty, and quite honestly I think its more likely he wont be than he is at this stage.  A lot is going to change between now and the draft with combine, workouts, and interviews...so he can certainly make his case.  Yet he just removed himself from something that could have helped him make a big case by not throwing at the combine.  He didn't have much to lose, but a lot to gain.  

And there are people who think Rosen...or Allen...or Baker...or a few like Arians who think Lamar...all have the most upside.  Its an opinion, and not quantifiable.  Obviously the front runners are Rosen and Darnold.  But to be honest with Darnold, his 2017 wasn't what people expected, so I get why you have confidence in him or like him, but he definitely did not cement his draft position this year as the top must have QB yet and let others creep into the conversation.  

He will be a high pick no matter what, and I would also be excited to get him or any of the top prospects really.  But I think he has some work to do before he can be confident in being the first QB taken.  

It's all a crapshoot.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sick of hearing about Darnold's strange delivery.  What is the cost of that at the NFL level, if we keep it real? 

What is far more important are all the other things he does well. The fact that his delivery is strange is not that important IMO.

Have a look at all the MLB players who have a batting stance that is "all wrong" according to what you teach little kids.  And then they go ahead and hit >.300 off MLB pitching!  

If you can do it, you can do it.  No style points in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's ultra competitive when it matters during the games and this decision won't hurt him at all.

I agree with you, I dont think it will "hurt" him per se, but the key is it wont HELP him and the others guys closely ranked with him now have an opening to help themselves which by default could actually hurt Darnold if his desire is to be the first pick, or at least first QB.  The reality is that he has not cemented his ranking in the hierarchy of the QB rankings yet and guys like Rosen, Baker and Allen can certainly make cases to go above him in some teams eyes if they impress this offseason.  

Darnold had little to lose throwing, but he had a lot to gain if he did.  He very well could go first still, but this was a chance to increase those odds and he elected not to participate fully.  And with his questionable throwing motion and disappointing 2017 with a lot of bad decisions on his tape, he should be looking to take all the opportunities he can to make people forget that stuff and drool on his potential to lock that top spot up.  

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I'm sick of hearing about Darnold's strange delivery.  What is the cost of that at the NFL level, if we keep it real? 

What is far more important are all the other things he does well. The fact that his delivery is strange is not that important IMO.

Have a look at all the MLB players who have a batting stance that is "all wrong" according to what you teach little kids.  And then they go ahead and hit >.300 off MLB pitching!  

If you can do it, you can do it.  No style points in the NFL.

No one would care as much if his 2017 was not dissapointing.  Too many people didn't watch his live games and only watch highlight tapes where they only show the positives.  He was frustrating to watch at times and made bad decisions pretty much on a weekly basis that hurt his shine more than anything.  So now, because of that, people have bigger concerns.  Too many people still living on the hype of 2016 and didn't sit through whole games in 2017 enough to see why people now have concerns.  

He is far from a lock in the NFL, and he is no where near the prospect Elite polished prospects like Luck were coming out.  I still think he is a good and exciting prospect, and would still be excited to draft him.  Just addressing why people are now concerned on the delivery when trying to separate the top QBs in this draft.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with you, I dont think it will "hurt" him per se, but the key is it wont HELP him and the others guys closely ranked with him now have an opening to help themselves which by default could actually hurt Darnold if his desire is to be the first pick, or at least first QB.  The reality is that he has not cemented his ranking in the hierarchy of the QB rankings yet and guys like Rosen, Baker and Allen can certainly make cases to go above him in some teams eyes if they impress this offseason.  

Darnold had little to lose throwing, but he had a lot to gain if he did.  He very well could go first still, but this was a chance to increase those odds and he elected not to participate fully.  And with his questionable throwing motion and disappointing 2017 with a lot of bad decisions on his tape, he should be looking to take all the opportunities he can to make people forget that stuff and drool on his potential to lock that top spot up.  

He's neither the first nor will he be the last top tiered QB prospect who has elected not to throw at the combine.  Scouts and GMs will judge him primarily from watching him play in person in conjunction with film study and personal interviews at the combine and team facilities.   Not a big deal from my perspective in the grand scheme of things. 

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not necessarily. While I agree with the larger point about mechanics, especially lower body mechanics,  whether or not a coach decides to re-work a throwing motion depends on whether or not that motion is a detriment to getting a ball out on time and with enough velocity. If Darnold can spin it with elite speed, they won’t mess with it. 

Agree but when I look at that big baseball windup I think it's going to need a lot of work. Maybe he can go with it in college (and even there he had some turnover issues) but in the pros time (the less of it there is) is money, big money.

8 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Agree but when I look at that big baseball windup I think it's going to need a lot of work. Maybe he can go with it in college (and even there he had some turnover issues) but in the pros time (the less of it there is) is money, big money.

No doubt but, like I said, if his motion doesn’t impact his ability to get it out on time and with enough velocity to get it there, they will leave it alone, most likely. 

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

My guess is that it's simply a matter of wanting to control the environment. A pro-day is all determined by him and his experts and they can do it how they want it. Not throwing probably wouldn't hurt his stock, and since he's already widely regarded as #1, it's unlikely he can improve it by throwing at the combine. 

my issue as a GM would be, if he needs to control the environment that much, no way he can make it in the NFL.  You don't control the defense.  I want to see the guys in all situations.  And Darnold looked awful and turnover prone at times last season.   I think this kills his stock.  Rosen, and (perhaps, Mayfield will pass him on the charts.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

my issue as a GM would be, if he needs to control the environment that much, no way he can make it in the NFL.  You don't control the defense.  I want to see the guys in all situations.  And Darnold looked awful and turnover prone at times last season.   I think this kills his stock.  Rosen, and (perhaps, Mayfield will pass him on the charts.  

Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck did the same.  It will have no bearing. 

11 minutes ago, #34fan said:

It's a move that could turn alot of organiztions off... -And Maybe that's the point... Kid DOES NOT want to end up in Cleveland.

ha.  watch it turn off other organizations, except the Browns.  Who trade down to like 2, get another 1st, and draft him anyway.  

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck did the same.  It will have no bearing. 

That's a good point.  But, IMO, Andrew Luck (and to some extent Matt Ryan) are exceptions I think.  Darnold, IMO, has more questions than those two coming into the draft.  .  

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

ha.  watch it turn off other organizations, except the Browns.  Who trade down to like 2, get another 1st, and draft him anyway.  

That's a good point.  But, IMO, Andrew Luck (and to some extent Matt Ryan) are exceptions I think.  Darnold, IMO, has more questions than those two coming into the draft.  .  

Having less than 2 full seasons of college film is one of them 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't like this. I wonder if there are other guys not throwing. I think if he is the only one, it looks bad. 

At his pro day he chooses who the receiver is.  Most good prospects look better at their pro days anyway, as its much more favorable conditions.

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

He'll have time to practice with his own guys.  Not be judged on his ability to throw to a guy he may literally have never met.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

These agents tend to over think things. Unless there is a medical issue (and that’s gonna be checked, anyway) there is nothing to lose by throwing and nothing to gain by not throwing. It’s still early in the evaluation process in terms of assigning grades so it makes little sense not to participate. 

I think Teddy Bridgewater might disagree.  I believe he threw at the combine and it is thought that contributed to him going later in the draft than otherwise might have been expected.

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Teddy Bridgewater might disagree.  I believe he threw at the combine and it is thought that contributed to him going later in the draft than otherwise might have been expected.

He didn’t throw at the combine but his pro Day was horrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

If you say so.  What I saw in watching EVERY snap of USC this year was a QB that was making the same bad decisions in Week One as he did every week after that.

Sure, watching every snap means you watched every snap.

It doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about.

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

It was his entire body of work throughout college and his post college path to the draft that contributed to where he was drafted, nothing less. I strongly doubt anyone made a draft determination on him based on his combine performance. It’s just too near the beginning of the process to have that much of an impact. 

Edit: it’s a moot point as it was posted earlier that he is one of several prominent prospects over the years to not throw at the combine.

Edited by K-9

11 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Sure, watching every snap means you watched every snap.

It doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about.

it's always so hard to evaluate college QBs because most of them know where they are throwing pre-snap. So you have a QB like Darnold who makes checks and post-snap reads like a real NFL QB, but makes mistakes, fans see that as a negative. I see it as a positive. He's way ahead of most college QBs as a redshirt sophomore. That's what made Luck special.

Edited by TheTruthHurts