Sam Darnold not throwing at combine

YoloinOhio

On 2/28/2018 at 10:22 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

I know I am late to the party on page 5 with this and I get why Darnold and others guys would do this, but I still think this is such a cop out by top prospects.

If you are a QB (supposedly a great one) and you are healthy you should always be ready and willing to put the ball in the air.  

As a matter of fact and I may be going too far with this, if you show up at the combine and you are not injured I would make it mandatory that you participate in all facets of the combine, including the workouts. 

Darnold’s agent probably warned him it wouldn’t be wise throwing side by side, next to Rosen- it might sway the Browns to want to pick Josh instead imo.

On 2/27/2018 at 9:00 AM, joesixpack said:

Red flag.

Not throwing for scouts at all would be a red flag. Throwing at his own personal pro day (assuming he does it)? Not a red flag at all. They'll still be able to evaluate his arm strength/accuracy just as well (if not better) than at the busy combine.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Darnold’s agent probably warned him it wouldn’t be wise throwing side by side, next to Rosen- it might sway the Browns to want to pick Josh instead imo.

Interesting.  valid, too.

I still would want someone to show balls and confidence, even if they lose.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

On 2/27/2018 at 10:02 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's neither the first nor will he be the last top tiered QB prospect who has elected not to throw at the combine.  Scouts and GMs will judge him primarily from watching him play in person in conjunction with film study and personal interviews at the combine and team facilities.   Not a big deal from my perspective in the grand scheme of things. 

What happened at the combine is exactly what I was talking about the risk was for Darnold to skip.  The combine wasn't going to knock him down, but not throwing opened up the doors for the other QB's to cause GM's to get enamored in a QB draft class that is tightly ranked.  

Personally, I think its safe to say that some teams who had them all tightly graded might have now moved Allen and Baker ahead of him on the draft boards.  He can always impress in his workout, but by not throwing he opened the door for the others to impress, and Allen and Baker impressed enough that it might have affected some rankings.  Especially since Darnold was not hurt, and just chose not to compete with the better competition to cement his place as the top QB in the draft.  

Those little things in a year like this can be the difference in being the top pick or being the 3rd QB taken.  Its a tightly ranked group, and Darnold had a more disappointing individual season than Rosen and Baker too, so its a gamble to rely on the tape and not take every opportunity to go out and state his case as the best QB.  

Dont get me wrong, likely still a lock for the top 10 and still could easily go first, but he didn't do himself any favors by letting the other guys shine while he skipped it.