Favorite Canadian food?

BuffaloBill

What’s your favorite Canadian food?  

Like the U.S. the Canucks have a hard argument around claiming foods as all their own given the heavy borrowing (stealing) from immigrant cultures.  However, a meal that includes poutine, peamean bacon and butter tarts would leave my American ass feeling pretty Canucky.  Personally I would say those three are in a tie as the holy trinity of Canadian eats.

Also,  I think anything involving Maple, excluding syrup, is just a tourist trap pile of ****. 

What do you think?

BTW - while several of my Canadian friends might argue otherwise, Beer is not a food.

Wife & I had dinner in the French quarter of Montreal several years ago.  There are no street signs, along the curbs because they plow the sidewalks too.  Had a great French meal, but our rental car had a ticket, when we came back.  It was a rental car with Vermont plates. The ticket had some boxes along the top with:  Quebec, Ontario, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York.  The officer checked some box, but NOT Vermont.  I'm sure some poor SOB is still swearing he wasn't even in Montreal, but we never heard anything about it again.

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Whatever the food truck  at the Downer is serving

I would guess that you do not go to the downer for food. 

57 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Canadian food just tastes....different.  I’ve had a couple great meals in Montreal, but I guess that is the French influence.  I have never been to Vancouver, however, which I’ve heard is a really great food town.

Vancouver is a great foodie city.  The seafood and Asian influences are outstanding.  Many very good dim sum spots.  

Suprisingly Toronto is not know as a “food city” though I think that is unfair.  Montreal and Vancouver are held in much higher regard.

Montreal and Vancouver are two places I really want to go. Mrs Augie travels too much for work already, and life in general has gotten in the way. It looks like there’s more travel in our future....and that’s a good thing. 

Other than the beer and Canadian bacon, I got nuthin’. Doesn’t Duffs have some spots up there? Yeah, probably not what you were looking for.....

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Montreal and Vancouver are two places I really want to go. Mrs Augie travels too much for work already, and life in general has gotten in the way. It looks like there’s more travel in our future....and that’s a good thing. 

Other than the beer and Canadian bacon, I got nuthin’. Doesn’t Duffs have some spots up there? Yeah, probably not what you were looking for.....

I travel a bunch for work also but would always be ready to go to Vancouver or Montreal.  Both are great cities and I’m sure Mrs. Augie would enjoy either.  They are very different, night and day really.  

Every summer we go to Canada for a fishing trip. While there, we get a few packages of breakfast sausage for our breakfasts at fishing camp. They are pork, veal, super mild,  natural casing, and when you fry them a few minutes and then put them in the oven for awhile, they come out snapping, hot and soooo freaking good (especially with eggs, toast or with the pancakes we make with our pure syrup). It fills your belly before fishing all day. Easily my favorite food in Canada and I can’t find them anywhere in the States.