Favorite Canadian food?

BuffaloBill

When I was little my friends dad used to bring Canadian bacon back. Just tasted like ham to me. Molson Brador was my favorite food smuggled out of Canada. It was too strong to buy in the states then.

23 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I love Coffee Crisps, but that isn't Canadian. 

Like most candy WNYers associate with Canada, it is British.

How about Mr. Big bars?  (Love 'em!)

Or Mackintosh's toffee!  My favorite!

Mack-Box-180gram-Small1.png

My mom loved Mackintosh toffee. Every trip to Crystal Beach she would bring home bags of it. We would freeze it and then slam it on the counter to break it into little pieces.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

When I was little my friends dad used to bring Canadian bacon back. Just tasted like ham to me. Molson Brador was my favorite food smuggled out of Canada. It was too strong to buy in the states then.

My mom loved Mackintosh toffee. Every trip to Crystal Beach she would bring home bags of it. We would freeze it and then slam it on the counter to break it into little pieces.

Shame that Crystal Beach is now condo's... that was the highlight of summertime in WNY as a kid... parents would always surprise us and boy did that get the blood flowing... the "are we there yet" kind.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:51 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Suprisingly Toronto is not know as a “food city” though I think that is unfair.  Montreal and Vancouver are held in much higher regard.

Like Vancouver Toronto has a number of excellent Chinese restaurants serving dim sum;  my wife and I eat there when we visit and my wife is Hong Kongese so she knows dim sum.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:06 PM, BillsPride12 said:

Have had Killer French Onion Soup in Montreal but other than that nothing has ever stood out to me 

There used to be an American Indian restaurant called the Turtle in Niagara Falls which made great French Onion Soup but unfortunately it is gone now.

On 2/25/2018 at 3:34 PM, BringBackFergy said:

In high school we thought that was the cat’s ass...ask a buddy’s older brother to cross the border and buy us a case or two of Brador. Alcohol content of 6 or 7%. We thought that was great.  Nowadays there’s beers with 9.25% I hear. Crazy. 

Brador was one of my favorite beers; used to get a case of Brador and a case of Molson XXX every time I crossed the border.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 1:46 PM, BuffaloBill said:

What’s your favorite Canadian food?  

Like the U.S. the Canucks have a hard argument around claiming foods as all their own given the heavy borrowing (stealing) from immigrant cultures.  However, a meal that includes poutine, peamean bacon and butter tarts would leave my American ass feeling pretty Canucky.  Personally I would say those three are in a tie as the holy trinity of Canadian eats.

Also,  I think anything involving Maple, excluding syrup, is just a tourist trap pile of ****. 

What do you think?

BTW - while several of my Canadian friends might argue otherwise, Beer is not a food.

Hahahaha came here just to post this

Obviously Poutine is amazing. We do it so many ways here, cheese curds, pulled pork, curry chicken etc...

Ketchup Chips and Coffee Crisp are amazing. I truly feel sorry for you guys that you don't have them down in the States. I would also add All Dressed chips to that list.

IMO, its hard to beat a nice Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich

Mmmmm

vka-meat-280601-jpg.jpg

51U7lY5+pzL.jpg

On 2/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, coloradobillsfan said:

Loved these when I was a kid.  Throw in some black diamond extra sharp cheddar and wash it all down with Wink soda. 

I also thought their gummy candy was better up there.. like the cinnamon lips

:)Going full blast Canadian here!  

Something tells me you know how to drive a tow truck, eat donuts, and drink beer the real way! :D