Bills fire Randy "Woody" Ribbeck after 35 years

I know many of you won't care, and will question my ancestry for posing this, but as a fellow NT alum, I was surprised to read that the Bills fired Randy "Woody" Ribbeck after 35 years of service to the Bills organization.

http://www.allsportswny.com/woody-will-be-missed-on-the-bills-sidelines/

When I saw this, I immediately thought of Mularkey firing the best strength and conditioning man in the NFL, Rusty Jones, only to replace him with inferior talent.  It showed up on the field, as the Bills started losing more man games to injuries than they had previously.  It's harder to quantify what an equipment manager does and relate it to the success of the team, but Woody is acknowledged by NFL Hall of Famers as the best in the business.  I'll defer to their judgement, and hope that this decision does not hurt the Bills in the future.

My favorite Woody story is from Buddy Nix.  He did an interview once where he said "We brought this guy in for a tryout, and he ran a 40 yard dash against Woody.  Woody beat him, so we shook the guy's hand and thanked him for coming."

NT RULES!

Edited by Freddie's Dead

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

He was an assistant equipment manager.  What does your statement even mean?  He had very little impact on anything.

His 40 time slipped haha. For real it sucks when anyone loses their job and I don't know the reasons surrounding them. However justified or unjustified these things happen and hopefully he lands back on his feet.

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes, among other things. This is a new organization and he was part of the old Lifer culture. Long overdue. 

I get it that he was an old and valued employee, but after 35 years it's not uncommon for even a good employee to

1) lose a step in energy and enthusiasm

2) be "stuck" in an old way of doing things, maybe out-of-touch with the latest developments in the field, and maybe unwilling to change