Gil Brandt: Best Fits for the Top Free Agents

26CornerBlitz

Gil forgot that the Bills traded away a 3rd round pick when they acquired Kelvin Benjamin.

THE BRANDT REPORT
With big-name players set to hit the free agency market next month, Gil Brandt evaluates the best potential team fits for his 14 top free agents. See where Brandt has the top skill position players landing.

Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle

Somewhere along the line, Richardson is going to wake up -- and it might be next to Chris Jones or Justin Houston in Kansas City. True, the Chiefs are projected to be relatively tight against the cap. But those guys might be the kind of players who can motivate Richardson to play up to his potential after the Jets traded him away heading into last season. He's an athletic run-stopper with pass-rush ability. I also think Buffalo -- which, with two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders, will have a chance to add a ton of talent -- could see Richardson as an attractive fit (provided the issues that led to his ouster in New York don't scare them off). And, of course, Seattle would be able to use him, as well.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

11 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I like Richardson, but prefer Star due to the background of him having played under McD in Carolina.  We'll see of course, but I just think the FO and head coach know more about what they are getting with Star, what to expect from him in the locker room so on and so forth.

...good assessment....totally agree that the "Carolina Connection" will be in play..............

33 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I like Richardson, but prefer Star due to the background of him having played under McD in Carolina.  We'll see of course, but I just think the FO and head coach know more about what they are getting with Star, what to expect from him in the locker room so on and so forth.

I understand the McD-Panthers connection, but Star simply hasn't been a good player the last 2 or 3 years. Sheldon is a very good player. I'll be pretty disappointed if Buffalo gives Star a lot of money.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it would be a mistake to spend a lot of money in free agency  on a defensive tackle this year given that it's the deepest most loaded position group in this draft class. There are guys you could draft who could come in and contribute right away for a fraction of the cost and a lot younger. 

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn
  • Like (+1) 1

Suspended four games in 2015 for violating the substance abuse policy and 1 game in 2016 for personal conduct (off-season arrest).  Had clubhouse issues in 2016 with Brandon Marshall (in fairness that probably cut both ways).

From a talent perspective it looks like a no-brainer, but he doesn't look like the type of player McBeane wants.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

knowing what you're getting is important .... all kinds of bad character guys in the NFL nowadays... no one says anything bad about anyone due to the $$ involved

50 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I understand the McD-Panthers connection, but Star simply hasn't been a good player the last 2 or 3 years. Sheldon is a very good player. I'll be pretty disappointed if Buffalo gives Star a lot of money.

This is where u scratch your head of why u get rid of Dareus and your still paying him 14 mil this yr.  I realize character and culture are important to McBeane but from what i hear after that incident in preseason Dareus was getting his act together. Sometimes u just got to get guys to buy into your culture and it looked like that was the case until they traded Dareus away.  

If Dareus was a free agent he would be hands down the best one available at DT. People don't realize Dareus played his position at a all pro level he played the O Tech which is not sexy . His job was to take up blockers for others to succeed and he did that very well.  Had he played the 3tech u probably would of seen much more game changing plays from him.  For this reason i hope the front office doesn't spend much at this position in the future.  

50 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This is where u scratch your head of why u get rid of Dareus and your still paying him 14 mil this yr.  I realize character and culture are important to McBeane but from what i hear after that incident in preseason Dareus was getting his act together. Sometimes u just got to get guys to buy into your culture and it looked like that was the case until they traded Dareus away.  

If Dareus was a free agent he would be hands down the best one available at DT. People don't realize Dareus played his position at a all pro level he played the O Tech which is not sexy . His job was to take up blockers for others to succeed and he did that very well.  Had he played the 3tech u probably would of seen much more game changing plays from him.  For this reason i hope the front office doesn't spend much at this position in the future.  

• Like (+1) 1