Anyone ever had a mole removed?

Steptide

So about a month ago I had this grotesque thing show up on the side of my face. It's kinda scabby and got large rather quick. From my Google research, it doesn't seem to be anything cancerous. I made an appointment with a dermatologist to have it looked at/removed. I've never had to have one removed before, but here it's pretty quick and easy. 

55 minutes ago, Steptide said:

So about a month ago I had this grotesque thing show up on the side of my face. It's kinda scabby and got large rather quick. From my Google research, it doesn't seem to be anything cancerous. I made an appointment with a dermatologist to have it looked at/removed. I've never had to have one removed before, but here it's pretty quick and easy. 

Yes.  It is quick and easy.   They sometimes freeze them off in a matter of seconds.   Or they can clip them off.   Or sometimes they surgically cut and remove them if there is a lump underneath them.

I had one with a nickel sized lump under it.   Scary.    Dermatologist made a small incision - removed the lump - it went 2 inches deep below the skin - yikes.   But it was not cancerous.   It had been growing for years.   If I recall correctly I believe the dermatologist said it was a clogged pore on my skin that was next to the mole and had been excreting below the skin instead of above it.   Yuck.    

The incision was small.   Taped shut with that medical tape instead of stitches.  In and out in less than an hour.   Scary waiting for cancer test results though.    I was young then too.  Early -mid 20's at the time.

41 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Yes.  It is quick and easy.   They sometimes freeze them off in a matter of seconds.   Or they can clip them off.   Or sometimes they surgically cut and remove them if there is a lump underneath them.

I had one with a nickel sized lump under it.   Scary.    Dermatologist made a small incision - removed the lump - it went 2 inches deep below the skin - yikes.   But it was not cancerous.   It had been growing for years.   If I recall correctly I believe the dermatologist said it was a clogged pore on my skin that was next to the mole and had been excreting below the skin instead of above it.   Yuck.    

The incision was small.   Taped shut with that medical tape instead of stitches.  In and out in less than an hour.   Scary waiting for cancer test results though.    I was young then too.  Early -mid 20's at the time.

Thanks. Not too worried about the cancer part, but always good to know 

I'll take the opposite approach.  Take it from someone that took a general mole for granted and it was melanoma.  ALWAYS be worried.  Skin cancer is the most diagnosed cancer than all others combined.  Now, that does include non-melanoma skin cancer.

Get your whole body checked.  And if you are not embarrassed when the doc is done looking you over they haven't done a good enough job.

One thing to consider is what your face will look like once the mole is removed.  

If it is deep, it might leave a "scar crater" in your face.  Also, you may well end up with a dark (the color of the mole) spot on your skin where the mole was.  The 3 dimensional component or the mole will be gone, but you'll still have that blotch on your face--possibly...

Your doctor will know all this and may have an idea of what you are up against given your particular situation.

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

Lemy (rip) would not approve of this action!!

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

That sounds more like a wart than a mole.  But far be it from me to disagree with google.  Don't forget to tell the doc you googled it, and it's fine.  

(Treatment's pretty much the same either way.)

I had a mole on my wrist that bleed for no apparent reason. Had my general physician look at it and he didn't think it looked bad. Anyways he removed it on my next visit. I got that 4pm Friday phone call a few weeks later to tell me it was melanoma. Stuff happened pretty quick after that and I had a subsequent surgery to make sure he got it all (which he did). So I get check ups yearly now with the dermatologist. SO yes be concerned, take care of yourself and hopefully you have a good doctor.

• Like (+1) 1