Can Bills take double the allotted time to ponder trades?

Big Turk

Since the rule is the team with the next pick can jump ahead and turn in a card if the team on the clock doesnt pick, but the Bills have the next pick, does this mean they can work deals for longer than normal if they are going back and forth? 

It would seemingly be to their advantage to take their time and see what they can work out if they get an offer they like to move down and stockpile more picks.

They might just draft two players with there they are at but this does seemingly give them an advantage if they stay put up to that point potentially of they are working deals.

Edited by matter2003

Yes. Because if your time expires the next team on the clock is up.  The Bills can not make a pick with the first selection and then deal it once the clock begins in the next one. 

The clock doesn't stop when the pick is made, it just restarts.

• Like (+1) 1

Actually, I don't think it works that way.

Yes.  If the time runs out, the next team can run and turn in a card.

But I don't believe the clock resets.

So if the Bills try and take another 10-15 minutes, I believe the team behind them (the Rams) can run up and do the same thing.

I could be wrong, but I believe that's how it works.

2 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to iron out a deal before the draft ?   15 minutes is not a lot of time to put stuff together for a deal.

Before the draft?  How do you do that picking at 21 and 22?  Teams trade up for specific players.  How do you trade up to 21 or 22 for a specific player when the draft hasn’t even started?   Trading up to the top 3 picks or so is one thing.  21 and 22 are different.  The team trading up isn’t guaranteed to get the player they want. 

I don’t see why we wouldn’t have double time to swing a trade. 

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

So if the Bills try and take another 10-15 minutes, I believe the team behind them (the Rams) can run up and do the same thing.

The next team up would be the Bills. The pick doesn't become a free pick for whomever has a card ready. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I don’t get it.  You could be correct (idk), but that’s just an idiotic rule if so

Edited by NewEra

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills have pick 22 as well. When the time expires on pick 21, pick 22 can go ahead and pick but no one else. Since that is the Bills they can use the entire time. If the clock expires after that THEN pick 23 can step up and make their pick.

• Like (+1) 2

It certainly could happen that way.  The Bills would have zero incentive to hurry in a pick on 21, you never know if the phone will ring or not.    If something has upside but zero downside you do it.

The problem is if we haven't traded up for a qb at that point I will have pressed my DOOMSDAY button and obliterated the entire Metro NY area out of frustration.   And that would screw up the whole draft anyway....

52 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to iron out a deal before the draft ?   15 minutes is not a lot of time to put stuff together for a deal.

If teams had a crystal ball and knew what players would be there at 21 then of course. You do realize that 95% of these trades happen because a guy a team really wants is still there right?

Its not like a team just says, "Hey, we have no idea if a guy we really want will be there but it just would look cool to make a trade pre-draft so let's do it!"

12 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

It certainly could happen that way.  The Bills would have zero incentive to hurry in a pick on 21, you never know if the phone will ring or not.    If something has upside but zero downside you do it.

The problem is if we haven't traded up for a qb at that point I will have pressed my DOOMSDAY button and obliterated the entire Metro NY area out of frustration.   And that would screw up the whole draft anyway....

If Lamar Jackson is there at 21 I would definitely take him.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have pick 22 as well. When the time expires on pick 21, pick 22 can go ahead and pick but no one else. Since that is the Bills they can use the entire time. If the clock expires after that THEN pick 23 can step up and make their pick.

This is the answer - not sure why it is being complicated.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure that the Bills will have contacted several teams between now and the day of the NFL Draft. By then the Bills will know who their potential trade partners are and what the price to move up will be. Most importantly they should/will know who their "man" is. I've said this before and will say it again. Assuming the 1st two picks are "out of reach" and you still like the #3 guy and think he can be your QB for the next decade or more, you have to be prepared to acquire the #3 draft pick overall (Indy). 3 firsts is not too high a price.

So basically the Bills should never have to worry about waiting till #21 because this pick and others will be traded long before then....

Edited by DefenseWins

I think that they can use their full time for pick 21 and right up to the end of the allotted time for pick 22 without risk of the team with pick 23 jumping ahead of them.  However, this only helps them if they want to trade one of those picks for a player or trade back to a later pick.  If their objective is to move up for a QB, waiting until their pick is too late to ponder that.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Yes. Because if your time expires the next team on the clock is up.  The Bills can not make a pick with the first selection and then deal it once the clock begins in the next one. 

The clock doesn't stop when the pick is made, it just restarts.

The next team up on the clock being... the Buffalo Bills.

They don't lose the time for the #22 selection because they did not make a pick during the 10 minutes given for the #21 slot.

Great topic.   The Bills two picks are prime for someone with an early second to move up.  The slotting of back to back picks by the Bills could give some needed time to negotiate a good deal. I would trade back into the first 5 spots of the second this year to grab another second next year and maybe a third or fourth this year.  

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Before the draft?  How do you do that picking at 21 and 22?  Teams trade up for specific players.  How do you trade up to 21 or 22 for a specific player when the draft hasn’t even started?   Trading up to the top 3 picks or so is one thing.  21 and 22 are different.  The team trading up isn’t guaranteed to get the player they want. 

I don’t see why we wouldn’t have double time to swing a trade. 

Only ever see it when trading up to pick 1.  The eagles did it when they traded to pick 2 - but they knew it was goff or wentz and they were ok with that.