Now it begins. Buffalo and Offense.

14 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Again with blaming the fired coaches and not the limited QB that made them change the scheme to a more simplified one. SMH

One would assume OBD will learn someday it all starts with having a QB that can run a full playbook. Not the limited Taylor made 3 point scheme.

It helps to have playmakers.  The Eagles added Alshon Jeffery, Blount, Ajayi, Torrey Smith.  The same coaches looked to be floundering last year when their best weapons were Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholar and Ryan Mathews.

they haven't put a priority on the QB position in 20 yrs and we have been bad for 20 yrs so go figure.  they will chicken out again and not doing anything substantial.  the only answer is trade to move up and get a guy as well as sign a vet.  if they use their first 2 picks on defense like everyone is mocking us to do then 2018 will be a step backwards

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It helps to have playmakers.  The Eagles added Alshon Jeffery, Blount, Ajayi, Torrey Smith.  The same coaches looked to be floundering last year when their best weapons were Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholar and Ryan Mathews.

Got to have a QB that can get the job done, one that can use a full playbook. How many years has Brady used no names at those same positions.

Build around a real talent at QB first.

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

they haven't put a priority on the QB position in 20 yrs and we have been bad for 20 yrs so go figure.  they will chicken out again and not doing anything substantial.  the only answer is trade to move up and get a guy as well as sign a vet.  if they use their first 2 picks on defense like everyone is mocking us to do then 2018 will be a step backwards

Sadly I agree

9 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Got to have a QB that can get the job done, one that can use a full playbook. How many years has Brady used no names at those same positions.

Build around a real talent at QB first.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  The Pats offense was pedestrian when they had Jabar Gaffney as Brady's leading receiver.  They went out and added Moss / Welker the next year and were record setting.

Everyone declared Goff a bust last year and said Gurley was a one year wonder.  They dramatically upgraded the talent around them and suddenly are a dynamic young offense.  Our skill talent outside of Shady is hot garbage.

I don't think anyone is seriously arguing that it isn't extremely desirable to have a great QB.  If you can get someone on the level of Brady, Rodgers, Brees or even Rothlisberger, you can at least contend almost every year.  Beyond a handful of guys like that, you need a reasonably balanced team with competent NFL QB and then you hope to compete.

Still, looking at sustained great players like above, how many have there been in the draft over the last decade?  It is going to be very hard and costly to get to the top of the draft for a shot at one of these guys whom you hope can carry your team.  I'm game for a small trade up to take a chance on Rudolph or Jackson or Mayfield, if he makes it out of the top-10.  At least with those guys you have a *hope* that they can bring competent QB play.  None of the QBs in this year's draft are sure things. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

We will find out everything we need to know about McBeane and their TRUE philosophy about the future of this franchise by what happens on draft day. Do they trade up for a franchise qb or settle on defensive players. I wouldn’t hold my breath on them trading way up for a qb. Would love to be wrong. 

Edited by Billznut

14 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't blame McDermott for being conservative this year. This was not the lineup you get crazy with.

I disagree. I think Tyrod would be a better player in the offense the Eagles came up with for Foles. Not win a SB but be better. Bills continues to try and make players fit a system and they continue to fail.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

I disagree. I think Tyrod would be a better player in the offense the Eagles came up with for Foles. Not win a SB but be better. Bills continues to try and make players fit a system and they continue to fail.

Hopefully Daboll reportedly being a "scheme to the player" coach is true. 

10 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Not for nothing but that game we just watched was kinda waaaaaaay outside the bell curve of actual games played. Now having said that YES we need a QB who can get the ball out and down the field.  On that we agree......

Way outside the two team Bell curve but well inside what the Patriots do.... attack!!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Way outside the two team Bell curve but well inside what the Patriots do.... attack!!!

Yeah but even the godlike Brady doesn't routinely toss 500+ yards a game....as I said - WE NEED A QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hear you, but That’s the way the eagles were playing all season.

wentz had 33 tds through 13 games.  He was going for 40+ if not for injury.

watson has 19tds in 5 games.

not to mention Geoff and Wilson and Rodgers if not for injury.

shoot Roethlisberger threw 5 tds against the great jaguars defense and even Alex Smith had the best season of his career in league.

it is coming for teams ready to embrace it.

This certainly is a stat I can get behind rather then yards per game

9 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Again with blaming the fired coaches and not the limited QB that made them change the scheme to a more simplified one. SMH

One would assume OBD will learn someday it all starts with having a QB that can run a full playbook. Not the limited Taylor made 3 point scheme.

Whaleys QB purgatory continues and coaches being fired. One would assume somebody at OBD will wake up someday to talk about fixing the real problem this team has had since having a SB QB in Kelly.

Actually, no.  I think one should hope OBD finds an offensive coach who maximizes the strengths through scheme, play calling and aggression by not trying to fit square pegs in round holes.

Flexible and creative coaches are absolutely necessary to be consistent contenders unless you have an Elite QB.  And I mean one of the 4  or 5 best QBs consistently in the NFL.

We all hope we draft that guy in April, but for now, we need to hope Dabol is that coach so he doesn't follow Dennison out the door.

21 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Not for nothing but that game we just watched was kinda waaaaaaay outside the bell curve of actual games played. Now having said that YES we need a QB who can get the ball out and down the field.  On that we agree......

If people are watching that game and thinking this is how game normally are I think they just need to watch more football.  That game just set the record for most total yards combined in ANY game---regular season or playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

If you want to make a serious attempt at playing in the Super Bowl, you don't want to neglect any phase of the game.  It's true that in the just played Super Bowl all kinds of offensive records were broken, but don't forget that both New England and Philly had highly rated defenses too.  I believe that McDermott wants an offense that is a whole lot more effective than the Bills fielded in 2017.  One thing they need to be able to do is pass when the defense is focusing on taking away the run.  That's one thing that happened in the Super Bowl.  New England in particular was ineffective running the ball.  Aside from the fact that Brady is an elite passer, that's one of the reasons the Patriots racked up so many passing yards.  Philly was better at running the ball, but they too were able to use the pass effectively when the run game wasn't working.

On 2/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Somewhere I hope Coach McD is purging himself of the defense and running and punting and field goals mentality.

gone need to be the days of our QBs averaging 1.3 td passes per game.

i just do not know what more Mr. Pegula and this fan base need to see about what is happening around the league.

Both, please, Coach McD.

I don't mind a stifling defense. And I don't remember Coach McD being against offense.

On 2/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, MJS said:

The two recipes to win are:

1) Have an elite QB and offense and a defense not bad enough to lose you a lot of games

Or (if you don't have that)

2) Have a top 3 defense and good running game.

It's easier to win with an elite QB because it is harder to build and maintain a top 3 defense year in and year out, in my opinion.

If you don't have the QB, you automatically have to go for the elite defense and run game, because if you don't you have NO chance at all.

You don't need an elite QB. It's sure nice if you do get one, but you don't need one. (Elite as generally defined is top three, four, maybe stretching it to five. But not more.)

You need a QB who's top ten or twelve. Russell Wilson isn't elite. Never has been. Flacco was never elite. But he played like a top ten guy for a lot of that year and especially the playoffs. Eli's not elite. Flacco had a top three defense that year but they weren't winning the SB without him playing the way he did. Roethlisberger's probably never been elite. Really really close, top 6 or 7 for most of his career, but not elite, I'd argue.