Now it begins. Buffalo and Offense.

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Not for nothing but that game we just watched was kinda waaaaaaay outside the bell curve of actual games played. Now having said that YES we need a QB who can get the ball out and down the field.  On that we agree......

I hear you, but That’s the way the eagles were playing all season.

wentz had 33 tds through 13 games.  He was going for 40+ if not for injury.

watson has 19tds in 5 games.

not to mention Geoff and Wilson and Rodgers if not for injury.

shoot Roethlisberger threw 5 tds against the great jaguars defense and even Alex Smith had the best season of his career in league.

it is coming for teams ready to embrace it.

I wish this was true, but unfortunately the Pegulas didn't hire an aggressive coach.  I absolutely loved what Pederson did in the SB, to the point of being envious of Eagles fans.  A coach like that is more important to a team than any one player, outside of a premier QB is.  I don't think Mcdermott even has half the cajones that the Eagles coach has, and it's a shame too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The two recipes to win are:

1) Have an elite QB and offense and a defense not bad enough to lose you a lot of games

Or (if you don't have that)

2) Have a top 3 defense and good running game.

It's easier to win with an elite QB because it is harder to build and maintain a top 3 defense year in and year out, in my opinion.

If you don't have the QB, you automatically have to go for the elite defense and run game, because if you don't you have NO chance at all.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Estro said:

I wish this was true, but unfortunately the Pegulas didn't hire an aggressive coach.  I absolutely loved what Pederson did in the SB, to the point of being envious of Eagles fans.  A coach like that is more important to a team than any one player, outside of a premier QB is.  I don't think Mcdermott even has half the cajones that the Eagles coach has, and it's a shame too.

The problem is if they don't make the 4th down, then everyone in Philly will be clamoring for Doug's head.  Fans always want it both ways.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Estro said:

I've also been around last year when Eagles fans were roasting him for going for it on 4th and long instead of kicking a field goal. There were calls for him to be fired after the end of his first season. His playcalling was considered suspect even through the start of the season because he was considered pass happy.

Now, we have the benefit of hindsight. But let's try to take a few lessons about jumping the gun on coaches, ok?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Not for nothing but that game we just watched was kinda waaaaaaay outside the bell curve of actual games played. Now having said that YES we need a QB who can get the ball out and down the field.  On that we agree......

Not outside the bell curve of 8 of the last 10 Super Bowls... that's still the goal, right?!?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ganesh said:

The problem is if they don't make the 4th down, then everyone in Philly will be clamoring for Doug's head.  Fans always want it both ways.

That's not true at all. He didn't do anything different in this game than he did all season long with regards to 4th down decisions.

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I've also been around last year when Eagles fans were roasting him for going for it on 4th and long instead of kicking a field goal. There were calls for him to be fired after the end of his first season. His playcalling was considered suspect even through the start of the season because he was considered pass happy.

Now, we have the benefit of hindsight. But let's try to take a few lessons about jumping the gun on coaches, ok?

There's no jumping the gun. You said it right in your post. Pederson was super aggressive last year and was again this year. McDermott is not an aggressive coach, he will not be next year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The two recipes to win are:

1) Have an elite QB and offense and a defense not bad enough to lose you a lot of games

Or (if you don't have that)

2) Have a top 3 defense and good running game.

It's easier to win with an elite QB because it is harder to build and maintain a top 3 defense year in and year out, in my opinion.

If you don't have the QB, you automatically have to go for the elite defense and run game, because if you don't you have NO chance at all.

Couldn't agree more. I think we should trade for a veteran QB who can make deep throws (and provide balance to a great run game)...use the draft to bolster our D-line. We need a serious pass rush. A top 5 defense aligned with a "good" QB can get us to the promised land (as the Eagles just demonstrated)...nuff said.

7 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Somewhere I hope Coach McD is purging himself of the defense and running and punting and field goals mentality.

gone need to be the days of our QBs averaging 1.3 td passes per game.

i just do not know what more Mr. Pegula and this fan base need to see about what is happening around the league.

Honestly, that is a leap of logic IMHO, when you presume McD is passive about Offense or that he doesn't value Offense as much as he does Defense. In this year, that same "mentality" got the Bills to the playoffs, ending the drought, and shooting that f-ing monkey on our backs. He coached, with the talent and team he had - yes, they traded Watkins, Dareus, Darby (congrats to him btw), and Ragland. But, the roster was not where he and Beane felt it needed to be, and they got the picks they coveted to re-build the roster they way they want.

McD coached with the strength of the team: Defense and field position and running the ball - no one can argue that Shady wasn't the MVP of that Offense - but that does NOT mean, that's his Offensive philosophy. To recap: Rico was fired, Tyrod probably isn't on the team and if he is I doubt he's starting for 2018, Wood just "retired" and some of the WRs are probably not coming back and I don't think Tolbert is here either and there may be MORE Offensive side of the ball changes coming, ala Offensive Line Coach etc. 

Point being, give Beane and McD and their staff this Off season to get either their Rookie QB via Draft, bridge Vet QB, or their Vet long-term starter and get their guys on the roster and then we can start to see more of McD's Offensive philosophy. Pederson deserves a lot of credit for making some gutsy calls last night, but he did that because he could. Does anyone really think the Browns or this year's Colts could have been equally effective? I certainly don't....so kudos to Pederson for the calls that were bold and made all the difference in the game, but he made the calls because his team was good enough to execute.

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Somewhere I hope Coach McD is purging himself of the defense and running and punting and field goals mentality.

gone need to be the days of our QBs averaging 1.3 td passes per game.

i just do not know what more Mr. Pegula and this fan base need to see about what is happening around the league.

It doesn't matter what Pegs or the fan base sees. What matters is what Beane and McD see.  And I'm sure they see what's  happening around the league in greater detail and clarity than you or I.  The question is how effectively they'll  make their decisions.

I'm sure, btw, that McD would love a QB who puts up more than 1.3 TDs per game.  

When life gives you lemons,  you make lemonade.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's one thing for the Eagles with all their great offensive weapons to be aggressive.  When the Bills wanted to take a fourth down shot last year, the D knew they could stop Shady, keep TT in the pocket, and get the offense ready to go back on the field. 

You have to play the cards you've got.  McD generally made good calls to put the players he had in a position to win.

Can we just stop for a second and appreciate the season?  My two favorite teams did great, exceeding expectations.  The Bills made the playoffs, and the team playing the Pats won the Super Bowl.  Let that sink in.  Now look ahead to the Pats losing both coordinators, Brady turning 52 or 68 or whatever and finally showing his age, and the Pats players revolting at least a little over the way Malcolm Butler was screwed.

8 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I hear you, but That’s the way the eagles were playing all season.

wentz had 33 tds through 13 games.  He was going for 40+ if not for injury.

watson has 19tds in 5 games.

not to mention Geoff and Wilson and Rodgers if not for injury.

shoot Roethlisberger threw 5 tds against the great jaguars defense and even Alex Smith had the best season of his career in league.

it is coming for teams ready to embrace it.

The big thing i noticed... there was like no pressure all game.  Also - 0 offensive holding calls... 0 PI calls... they even missed an illegal formation on that Foles TD catch.  The refs  didn't call that like any other NFL game I have watched all year.  Every catch call went with what was on the field.  

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

One would assume this ball started seriously rolling with the firing of Dennison and the hiring of Dabol less than a week after the season ended :flirt: 

Again with blaming the fired coaches and not the limited QB that made them change the scheme to a more simplified one. SMH

One would assume OBD will learn someday it all starts with having a QB that can run a full playbook. Not the limited Taylor made 3 point scheme.

Whaleys QB purgatory continues and coaches being fired. One would assume somebody at OBD will wake up someday to talk about fixing the real problem this team has had since having a SB QB in Kelly.

Edited by xRUSHx