Chris Collinsworth

Process

21 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’m not as obsessed with being anti Pats as some on this board are, but Collinsworth was over the top. Heaping praise on Brady with the Pats down ten at the half was absurd. There is nothing wrong with a brief mention of last years comeback, but the Eagles play deserved at least a mention. Unfortunately, Collinsworth chose to incessantly rave about the team who was trailing going into the half. As usual, Collinsworth sounded like nothing more than a Brady fanboy. 

I guess I didn't notice.  I was pulling for the Eagles all the way, but I guess I was also in the "no lead is too big for Brady to overcome"camo, right up til the very end.  And honestly, though his team lost, Brady was pretty amazing.  I think, maybe, Collinsworth do the "big game" of the week, so maybe they are a little more steeped in Patriots lore.  I certainly didn't think they gave the Eagles the short shrift.  

The only time I thought Collinsworth was over the top, was when the Eagles went for it on the goal-line on 4th & 1.  The pass to Foles.  He went on and on about how dangerous a chance it was, and how it could cost the Eagles the game, if they failed. "You can't give Brady the ball back, right before the half!"  What was dumb about that, was that whether the Eagles scored or not, the Patriots were going to get the ball back before the half.  In some ways, if they had failed to score, giving the Pats the ball back with 98 yards to go, was a better scenario than kicing it back to them.  As gutsy as the call to go for it was, I think Collinsworth overstated the risks, quite a bit.  To me, the choice of play that the Eagles went with was more gutsy than the choice to go for it.

Edited by Buftex

On 2/4/2018 at 11:49 PM, sullim4 said:

The reason I dislike Collinsworth is that he drags out the same one-liners again and again rather than analyzing the play and describing exactly what went right/wrong.

Telling me that Tom Brady is a great player 20 different ways doesn't add to the game.  Tell me why play X was called against Y defense - what did they see in the game film?  Call out the coach on challenges and time management.

I feel like the color commentator's role has evolved to the point where it just hypes the league's personalities.  What do people like Collinsworth, Solomon Wilcots, Dan Fouts, and Trent Green really add to the game?  All they do is tell us "that was a great play", "Fitz went to Harvard", etc.  This is why Romo was greeted with such praise - he actually studied the tape and used his professional experience to break down the game.  He's the only one doing his job at this point.

I agree. Romo is amazing. Collinsworth's incessive rant about Ertz's catch might as well have ended his "color" career. Not even Al Michael's can save him.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

inertia

The replay decisions have been so inconsistent that there is no way you could be certain what they would do

It seems righteous after the final decision and your incredible bias against the Pats (don't blame you) though, doesn't it?

I think a lot of calls the Pats get rightfully they should get. I also think they get way, way more than the benefit of the doubt as well. I'm not at all a homer when it comes to bad calls. I think and say here when I think a call against the Bills was the right call all the time.

On that particular play, from the final replay they showed, from the sideline, Ertz grabbed the ball at the six yard line. He didn't bobble it the entire way to the endzone. He had clear possession, made football moves, ran a few yards, and then clearly dove. He lost it well after he proved possession. If he had caught it at the three and then did what he did there may have been a good argument and the Jesse James play might come into affect. But he didn't. He caught it at the six and had clear possession, which is what they ruled.

He's always been my least favorite announcer. And just when I thought there was no way I could think any less of him, he has his little Patriots homer fit and calls a catch and run for a touchdown an incomplete pass. The guy is an absolute joke.

23 minutes ago, Albwan said:

I had to turn down the sound, couldn't take him for another minute, and al just seems

old. But ya chris is awful to listen to that noise burned my ears.

I had the sound turned off just minutes into the game. His voice is unbearable and has been for a while. 

On 2/5/2018 at 8:21 AM, teef said:

michaels was a little all over the place too.  at one point he made he made the comment that patricia was going to be the head coach of the pistons.

Both of these Dbags sounded like they had money on the Patriots. Not cool to have announcers that aren’t objective!! Patriots radio guys couldn’t have been much worse

I just re-watched the game with no distractions or interruptions.

Collinsworth has never been one of my favorites.  Over the years, I will say that he's grown on me.  I find his voice mildly annoying, but I do think he does a good job, generally speaking.

With regard to this Super Bowl, I actually found that he was very pro-Philly.  Especially pro-Pederson.

Sure, he gave Brady credit, but he threw for 500 yards for Christ's sakes, not to mention he's the best QB of all time.

I think he complimented Foles FAR more than he did Brady.  In fact, I don't recall him saying a bad word about Foles, but I do remember him commenting on how Brady was missing multiple passes in the first half.

I didn't hear anything that would be "embarrassing," as many have said in this thread.  I think he called a great game.

The Brady hatred from many Bills fans has distorted reality for those fans.  Collinsworth was far more pro-Philly than pro-NE throughout the entire game.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

The Brady hatred from many Bills fans has distorted reality for those fans.  Collinsworth was far more pro-Philly than pro-NE throughout the entire game.

I think this is true. Hating on an announcer on a network that gets no help from a rules analyst for being confused on the catch / no catch rules is harsh for me. I didn't think the announcers, who are usually my favourote pair of the big network guys, had a good game Sunday but being confused on the Ertz play I don't blame them. I had no idea how the NFL was going to call that. 

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

I just re-watched the game with no distractions or interruptions.

Collinsworth has never been one of my favorites.  Over the years, I will say that he's grown on me.  I find his voice mildly annoying, but I do think he does a good job, generally speaking.

With regard to this Super Bowl, I actually found that he was very pro-Philly.  Especially pro-Pederson.

Sure, he gave Brady credit, but he threw for 500 yards for Christ's sakes, not to mention he's the best QB of all time.

I think he complimented Foles FAR more than he did Brady.  In fact, I don't recall him saying a bad word about Foles, but I do remember him commenting on how Brady was missing multiple passes in the first half.

I didn't hear anything that would be "embarrassing," as many have said in this thread.  I think he called a great game.

Collinsworthless has been on my "idiot" list for a long time.    Even when the Bills were doing OK he was always one to trash the team.   (some long lasting grudge from his playing time) 

So my comments had nothing to do with the Pats**** 

I kind of felt in the moment that Zach Ertz td looked really close to the Jesse James play. And the Clement TD looked like the definition of why I hate the NFL definition of a catch. I knew both should be catches, but the rule as I understood it, I expected the NFL to call it incomplete. I rewatched the Jesse James play, and I'm now thinking, its less steps but more control of the Ball. Zach Ertz loses the football completely, but he had more steps. I simply have come to expect the NFL to screw up the call in the favor of the Defense. Its what I've come to see in recent years of my watching football. And I hate New England as much as anybody.