Head trainer Shone Gipson fired

Roundybout

Interesting. 

I remember reading that Marrone and Whaley wanted to replace him, and thought his training methods were too old school for the players today.

Edit - here's the first article I could find on it -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000328741/article/{ballotUrl}

The Buffalo News reported that coach Doug Marrone and Doug Whaley want to update the team's training methods by replacing the training staff led by Bud Carpenter:

Marrone and Whaley also are said to be highly interested in changing the Bills this-is-the-way-weve-always-done-it culture.

Sources said at the combine that the coaching staff is weary of Carpenters old-school methodology. These sources believe Carpenters stim and ice therapy is too outdated for todayâs athlete.

"Stim and ice" refers to electrical stimulation to the injured area and ice treatments.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Well he his a McD guy from Philly if i remember 

He is and was hired prior to the OC last year if memory serves me correctly. That’s odd to me. I’d think that a HC that isn’t involved on the offensive side would have the OC hire a guy that fits. Daboll runs a power style and Castillo runs a zone. It’s strange that he is still there. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

Interesting. 

I remember reading that Marrone and Whaley wanted to replace him, and thought his training methods were too old school for the players today.

Edit - here's the first article I could find on it -

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000328741/article/{ballotUrl}

The medical and training staff used to report up through the GM, so Whaley could have moved on if he chose to. Now it reports up through the HC. They made that switch with McD’s hire.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That really is kind of crazy. 

"I know, right?! It makes you think..."

* stops, looks over at good ole Jimmy O, the bills cap and contract guru who has held the safest job in the NFL for decades because he's "so good at what he does" and because we are "stupid fans who aren't smart enough to judge him" while simultaneously trying to figure what the hell makes him so good at what he does that has kept him safe.*

"...no...kinda makes sense now."

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I finally feel like the bills are catching up to the rest of the NFL. 

I was just thinking that same thing and are ahead of schedule to the surprise of just about everyone. Maybe we’re heading toward the adults table again. 

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

"I know, right?! It makes you think..."

* stops, looks over at good ole Jimmy O, the bills cap and contract guru who has held the safest job in the NFL for decades because he's "so good at what he does" and because we are "stupid fans who aren't smart enough to judge him" while simultaneously trying to figure what the hell makes him so good at what he does that has kept him safe.*

"...no...kinda makes sense now."

The NFL is a weird place. My suggestion to anyone that gets in there is to become really good friends with people in power. You’ll have a job forever. “The Chuck Pagano Effect”

• Like (+1) 2