Bills still making Bad Contract decisions

MAJBobby

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

Edited by MAJBobby

I think you're making an assumption here. No one knows what past exit physicals revealed or didn't reveal. It's just as likely that Wood had no pain and no complaints regarding his neck in prior years. The Bills Doctors aren't going to do a complete body scan and MRI if the guy said he felt fine. So then this year, maybe he says, "Ya know Doc, my neck has been sore for weeks" and they do an MRI and discover the condition. So they negotiate a contract extension based on that.That scenario is just as likely.

Your contract terms are valid though. The Bills have often made head scratching deals.

Edited by RobH063

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Was the team supposed to know in advance that he was going to sustain a career ending neck injury?

i believe wood said something like it was a long term degenerative issue. I thought guys got complete physicals before big contracts anyways?  

10 minutes ago, PIP said:

Good teams (Pats) don't make this mistake.

Donald jones got a 3 year contract with pats and was let go and retired after a couple months due to kidney issues.  Wasn't huge guaranteed money or anything but it happens.  

Also it's possible to miss stuff or have issues come up inbetween exams especially in contact sports.  (I'm at my spinal dr now I'll ask about it)

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i believe wood said something like it was a long term degenerative issue. I thought guys got complete physicals before big contracts anyways?  

The problem wasn't detected until his season ending physical this season and that's after playing every offensive snap.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The problem wasn't detected until his season ending physical this season and that's after playing every offensive snap.

let's find what wood said because it seemed to be it had been a long term issue that had been going on before this season. if so it's very risky to give such a deal to a guy who's career could be over quick. 

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This team has a history of making bad and player friendly contracts (Williams and Darues). I thought maybe they turned to corner with the way TT contracts have been handled. 

However, the Eric Wood extension comes. As much as I like Wood I didnt like the extension because of his age and fit with the offense type we were trying to build last year. However with his neck and retirement more issues come to mind. 

1.  How is a degenerative issue missed in the last couple exit physicals? (Doubt it was). 

2.  So if it wasnt how are you going to give guarantees in out years of a contract when essentially the players health at that point is year to year?

I think there is a lot more to the story then just a contract extension. We don't know what goes on behind the doors at OBD as much as we think we do.

Wouldn't shock me if the neck was degenerative that Wood was pondering retirement last off season and this was a way to lure him back for another season. I think that would explain a bit why Groy was brought back and why they were hesitant to let him play. In retrospect, it does seem like they were very careful with the backup center position...which would tell me there was concern if Wood could finish the season.

All in all, I believe injury guarantees are fairly standard in the NFL. It's just unfortunate that it all came to it. 

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Terry isn’t cheap? 

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

let's find what wood said because it seemed to be it had been a long term issue that had been going on before this season. if so it's very risky to give such a deal to a guy who's career could be over quick. 

He already made a statement regarding the injury and when it was diagnosed.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Wow, only a Bills fan would spin this into something more. 

Dude's career just ended and yet here we are with a thread crying about his contract. SMH.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

We might learn more at today's pressers.

I'm not sure what guys get before big contracts, but I have the impression that maybe the Bills have not been at the forefront of rigorous medical evaluation.

I know that X-rays and MRIs aren't always predictive of performance - I have arthritis in both knees but I'm reasonably active and so far don't bother me.  But it seems they're a starting point to protect a $10M investment.

3 minutes ago, Yav said:

Wow, only a Bills fan would spin this into something more. 

Dude's career just ended and yet here we are with a thread crying about his contract. SMH.

Yep, hindsight is always 20-20 but to make the right decisions as they come due is an entirely different proposition.