What's Plan C for QB?

Virgil

With a GM who may not want to give up the farm to trade up and a salary cap space that's needed with a huge amount of UFA's, what's the plan for if we aren't able to snag someone in FA or the draft who can compete for the starting job.

Let's just assume that the Bills want in on ALL top QB's available.  Cousins could easily go for a price tag outside of where we are willing to go.  Two of the three Qb's in Minnesota are likely to be retained, but it's very well possible that we don't land the leftover.  If they keep Keenum and Bridgewater, we may not even want Bradford.  

Then, let's say the Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold all go in the top 3-5 picks and we couldn't get a deal done to move up.  

I don't think any of those scenario's are unrealistic at all.  So what then?  Do we actually keep Tyrod and get someone in the later rounds we hope develops and wait until next year when there is less QB competition?  

Basically, what would plan C need to include to make you optimistic about our offense next year if we can't land the top 3 guys at QB or FA QB's?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Probably Tyrod is the correct answer as worst case scenario as this would be.

I would be very upset if they failed to upgrade the QB position with such a rich QB FA period and draft.  I fully expect them to sign a veteran QB like Smith and draft a young talent like Rudolph 

• Like (+1) 1

If Tyrod is retained I think that they draft a guy by Round 2. Maybe it is Rudolph or Jackson? With FA being before the draft I think that we have a sense for how aggressive they will be based on the veteran that they have. If they land Cousins they probably take a guy a little later with some upside. If it is anyone else I expect the Bills to take a QB in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Also, I know we have talked a lot about Alex Smith and I am starting to think that isn’t really an option. Beane is constantly talking about finding “a franchise QB.” Alex Smith is the definition of a solid vet. I don’t see the Bills being convinced that is him. 

The Bills will likely have a placeholder vet and an early pick QB. I’d say that is 65%, I’d say a trade way up is 25%, Cousins is 8% and Luck at 2%. 

I think plan C is probably Tyrod. 

Ill be optimistic tic no matter what happens... I'm always optimistic to start a new season. It's what keeps me coming back year after year. 

I also realize that Beane may not be able to solve our QB problem in his very first draft with the Bills, so I am willing to be a bit more patient than some.

They have a ton of dead cap this season, from cleaning up the previous management's mess. They have a ton of holes to fill at starting positions, and they need depth at just about every spot on both sides of the ball. 

This is not a job that gets done in 1 year... I do think Beane will do everything he can to bring in a QB this offseason. But I don't think he will be stupid about it either. I don't want to see them reach to just draft a QB for the sake of taking one, like we did with EJ Manuel and I don't think they will do that. If they can get a guy they like, I am sure they will. If not, I'm willing to give them time. I actually have faith in this new front office and coaching staff which is something I haven't had in quite a while, so I guess that makes it easier for me to have some patience. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If Tyrod is retained I think that they draft a guy by Round 2. Maybe it is Rudolph or Jackson? With FA being before the draft I think that we have a sense for how aggressive they will be based on the veteran that they have. If they land Cousins they probably take a guy a little later with some upside. If it is anyone else I expect the Bills to take a QB in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Also, I know we have talked a lot about Alex Smith and I am starting to think that isn’t really an option. Beane is constantly talking about finding “a franchise QB.” Alex Smith is the definition of a solid vet. I don’t see the Bills being convinced that is him. 

The Bills will likely have a placeholder vet and an early pick QB. I’d say that is 65%, I’d say a trade way up is 25%, Cousins is 8% and Luck at 2%. 

I don’t think Smith is an option either.  They aren’t paying Mahomes much, so they can afford both.  

Would you really use a 2nd round pick on a maybe QB when there are higher probability success choices at other need positions?

If I can get a guy who is confident can be a starting DT with my second round pick, I’m taking him over a hopeful QB. 

I really don’t have an answer besides taking the BPA and seeing what happens. 

I’m overall hoping the QB’s don’t go 1-5 like that and one of them drops to 5-10 and we can trade up using only 2 picks. 

I will I’ll say that White kid from the Senior Bowl did look good.  Although he had a strange way of stepping up into his throws

If Taylor is let go his cap hit is something like $8M. The bills could find a cheaper bridge unless they trade for Alex Smith. That would give enough time to develop a drafted QB. Very critical draft , free agency and trade time.

Bridgewater and Bradford could also be a option if healthy.

Edited by ALF

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

They have a ton of dead cap this season, from cleaning up the previous management's mess. They have a ton of holes to fill at starting positions, and they need depth at just about every spot on both sides of the ball. 

Be honest - some of the salary cap mess is result of current team.

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Zero chance Rudolph or Jackson are still available in rd2 IMO. SMH 

If OBD again waits around for a QB to fall to them in the draft it will equal the same fail in finding one IMO. We all want to think this new staff is different but if it is the same waiting game as so many years past it will be the same results. So sick of this team always waiting to get the scraps left after other teams have eaten all the good stuff.

As for if Tyrod many including myself want him gone. IMO many fans want to move on from having a QB teams scoff at about how they won big because they made our QB be a QB. I am so done with that. He is not worth half that contract IMO.

Enough of the Rex hand picked QB.

Edited by xRUSHx

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t think Smith is an option either.  They aren’t paying Mahomes much, so they can afford both.  

Would you really use a 2nd round pick on a maybe QB when there are higher probability success choices at other need positions?

If I can get a guy who is confident can be a starting DT with my second round pick, I’m taking him over a hopeful QB. 

I really don’t have an answer besides taking the BPA and seeing what happens. 

I’m overall hoping the QB’s don’t go 1-5 like that and one of them drops to 5-10 and we can trade up using only 2 picks. 

I will I’ll say that White kid from the Senior Bowl did look good.  Although he had a strange way of stepping up into his throws

I’m not sure that is the best course of action either but it’s the route I think they will go. 

Agree that they have a ton of holes. There is a chance that they can plug a few starting spots in the draft. Bills Wire just did a 7 round mock that does that:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/28/full-buffalo-bills-7-round-nfl-mock-draft-1/

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not sure that is the best course of action either but it’s the route I think they will go. 

Agree that they have a ton of holes. There is a chance that they can plug a few starting spots in the draft. Bills Wire just did a 7 round mock that does that:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/28/full-buffalo-bills-7-round-nfl-mock-draft-1/

Fill in all the teams need while avoiding the most important position, sounds just like the Whaley era. 

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

If Taylor is let go his cap hit is something like $8M. The bills could find a cheaper bridge unless they trade for Alex Smith. That would give enough time to develop a drafted QB. Very critical draft , free agency and trade time.

Bridgewater and Bradford could also be a option if healthy.

He adds $10M of dead space. Anything over $8M a year would add cap spending to the position this year. As an example if the Bills release Tyrod and add Bridgewater at $18M, it will be $28M of cap cost. Again that assumes a 1 year deal with all of the money hitting at once. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Virgil said:

With a GM who may not want to give up the farm to trade up and a salary cap space that's needed with a huge amount of UFA's, what's the plan for if we aren't able to snag someone in FA or the draft who can compete for the starting job.

Let's just assume that the Bills want in on ALL top QB's available.  Cousins could easily go for a price tag outside of where we are willing to go.  Two of the three Qb's in Minnesota are likely to be retained, but it's very well possible that we don't land the leftover.  If they keep Keenum and Bridgewater, we may not even want Bradford.  

Then, let's say the Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold all go in the top 3-5 picks and we couldn't get a deal done to move up.  

I don't think any of those scenario's are unrealistic at all.  So what then?  Do we actually keep Tyrod and get someone in the later rounds we hope develops and wait until next year when there is less QB competition?  

Basically, what would plan C need to include to make you optimistic about our offense next year if we can't land the top 3 guys at QB or FA QB's?

....well I'm told I'm not taken seriously around here, but I will respond out respect for you and your excellent work.........

1. Tyrod stays or goes? It will depend upon the consensus offensive scheme they choose to run with major input from Daboll; secondly, he probably needs to restructure down from $18 mil number.

2. Try and trade for Alex Smith. Andy purportedly wants a 2nd but Alex comes along with one year left at $ 17 mil; offer a 3rd and see if you get get him for an additional year. Two years to groom the new 1st rounder and Peterman would work well. KC is currently $7.5 mil OVER the cap.

3. I don't see this gang surrendering draft capital to move up with a number of holes to be addressed. Allegedly, Rudolph should be available at 21 and I'm GUESSING he is their safe but perhaps unsexy pick.

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I could get behind that draft. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The questions raised is what if they can’t get Cousins or or trade up? That is what I am responding to. That is the topic of this thread.

Oh so this comment has nothing to do with your other one in this thread that stated.

"If Tyrod is retained I think that they draft a guy by Round 2"

5 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Zero chance Rudolph or Jackson are still available in rd2. SMH 

If OBD again waits around for a QB to fall to them in the draft it will equal the same fail in finding one IMO. We all want to think this new staff is different but if it is the same waiting game as so many years past it will be the same results. So sick of this team always waiting to get the scraps left after other teams have eaten all the good stuff.

As for if Tyrod many including myself want him gone. IMO many fans want to move on from having a QB teams scoff at about how they won big because they made our QB be a QB. I am so done with that.

Enough of the Rex hand picked QB.

I would say that there is a decent chance that Rudolph and/or Jackson is there in round 2. Some team is going to sign Cousins and 4 teams are going to take Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen. Additionally, someone made trade for Alex Smith. That is 6 teams addressing the QB before the middle of the 1st round!!

I’m not saying that waiting is a good plan. I don’t think just grabbing a guy to do it is a good plan either. That’s the EJ strategy. The goal isn’t to get “a” guy it is to get “the” guy. Either do what you need to do that or move on.

1 minute ago, xRUSHx said:

Oh so this comment has nothing to do with your other one in this thread that stated.

"If Tyrod is retained I think that they draft a guy by Round 2"

Tyrod, in my scenario, represents “bridge vet.” I have the odds of “bridge vet” at 65%. If the Bills go with “bridge vet” I think that they take a QB before the end of round 2. I’m not saying it is right or wrong it is what I think that they will do. You can insert any of about 8 guys as “bridge vet.” At the cap cost though I’d say Tyrod is as likely as just about any of them.

24 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ill be optimistic tic no matter what happens... I'm always optimistic to start a new season. It's what keeps me coming back year after year. 

I also realize that Beane may not be able to solve our QB problem in his very first draft with the Bills, so I am willing to be a bit more patient than some.

This is not a job that gets done in 1 year... I do think Beane will do everything he can to bring in a QB this offseason. But I don't think he will be stupid about it either. I don't want to see them reach to just draft a QB for the sake of taking one, like we did with EJ Manuel and I don't think they will do that. If they can get a guy they like, I am sure they will. If not, I'm willing to give them time. I actually have faith in this new front office and coaching staff which is something I haven't had in quite a while, so I guess that makes it easier for me to have some patience. 

I'll go out on a limb: no way Tyrod is back. They signaled that when Peterman took over for him. It won't be the Dennison system anymore, but it will be whatever Daboll installs, and that will not be a Tyrod-friendly offense.

I’m also curious to see how the AJ McCarron sage unfolds. I think he’s another guy who could be targeted as a starter for someone. 

I’d be too nervous to pay him what he’d want though with so little film. 

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....if Ferguson, White & Lauletta were ALL available in the 5th, who would be your choice?................

I really don’t know anything about them. I’ll do my normal YouTube highlights research after FA and look at footwork, hitting guys in stride, the usual. 

But White did look good yesterday.  

I think the Bills Wire draft is more like Plan D.

Plan A sign FA (Cousins)

Plan B trade for (Smith, Keenum, Luck) etc.

Plan C trade up for the guy you like (Rosen, Mayfield) etc.

Plan D Tyrod, with a project draft like (White)

Plan Z start Nate Peterman, release TT and go with Savior Peterman plan

The reason I think McBeane like plan A and B is they can then retain draft capital to restock SOME positional needs. They will of course have to give a higher pick up depending on who you're trading for.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would say that there is a decent chance that Rudolph and/or Jackson is there in round 2. Some team is going to sign Cousins and 4 teams are going to take Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen. Additionally, someone made trade for Alex Smith. That is 6 teams addressing the QB before the middle of the 1st round!!

I’m not saying that waiting is a good plan. I don’t think just grabbing a guy to do it is a good plan either. That’s the EJ strategy. The goal isn’t to get “a” guy it is to get “the” guy. Either do what you need to do that or move on.

The goal is to address the QB position by going all in on a guy. There is no guarantee "the guy" is going to happen this year no matter who is drafted out of the top 6 but there is a big chance for at least one out of this group to turn into "the guy". Nobody can say for sure about a player, ever and I do not expect them to but I hope and pray they try for once to get the top of the talent tree at QB. 

The team always has other needs. As in life you go after what you want if it costs more then it costs more but to wait around thinking more about the deal of a century to fall into your hands forget about it real good things just don't happen that way. If you want it you go get it.

Plenty of options to address the QB position this off season so if we end up with a later round QB and Tyrod they did no different then what Whaley did and that is to lead us to QB purgatory.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Plan A sign FA (Cousins)

The reason I think McBeane like plan A and B is they can then retain draft capital to restock SOME positional needs. They will of course have to give a higher pick up depending on who you're trading for.

I think that this is probably right on. I am really intrigued by the Luck plan (regardless of the cost). I’d give both 1sts, next year’s 1st and Glenn assuming the doctors are comfortable with his shoulder. You’d have a chance to have an elite QB, you’d still have cap space and a bunch of draft capital. In 2019 you’d have a ton of space (even without the 1st). You could win a championship going that way.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, they’d add 4 day 1 starters and a guy capable of being a star at RB. That would be a massive upgrade to the talent on this roster.

The option is to either move up or take a more developmental qb prospect with one of your first round picks. If the Bills use some of their draft assets to move up to get a higher end prospect then the way to balance out the pick losses in the short term is to be more involved in the second-tier free agent market. For the short term acquiring players in the free agent market is more likely to pay more immediate dividends than playing rookies. Without a doubt you don't want to regularly take this more expedient route but if this approach is taken to get a good prospect then it would be well worth it. 

4 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

Plan A sign FA (Cousins)

I think this is about right.

Of course,  with Plans A and B (especially A), the Bills could/would still draft a QB.  Just not a guy they had to trade up for.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

The goal is to address the QB position by going all in on a guy. There is no guarantee "the guy" is going to happen this year no matter who is drafted out of the top 6 but there is a big chance for at least one out of this group to turn into "the guy". Nobody can say for sure about a player, ever and I do not expect them to but I hope and pray they try for once to get the top of the talent tree at QB. 

The team always has other needs. As in life you go after what you want if it costs more then it costs more but to wait around thinking more about the deal of a century to fall into your hands forget about it real good things just don't happen that way. If you want it you go get it.

Plenty of options to address the QB position this off season so if we end up with a later round QB and Tyrod they did no different then what Whaley did and that is to lead us to QB purgatory.

We are in agreement. If they want to address the QB they will have to make the investment whether it be money (Cousins) or picks (top guys). This is a good QB year IMO and a good time to take that chance.

• Like (+1) 2

Plan A is trade into the top 5 and get a shot at your guy. I think #2 is in play though I do worry the Giants might not want to move back as far as #21, #3 is in play and if Cleveland has gone QB at #1 then #4 is in play. Both Indi and Cleveland would happily slide to #21 and #22 I think.  If the Bills are confident they can execute this plan look for their FA vet to be Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, or dare I say it Ryan Fitzpatrick.   

Plan B is to stay at #21 and take Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson (my preference there would be strongly Rudolph).  In that scenario look for their FA target to be Sam Bradford / Teddy Bridgewater / a trade for Alex Smith / AJ McCarron. 

Plan C for me is simple.... if I don't think I can sit at #21 and get Rudolph (some might see Jackson here personally I don't) then I try to execute  a smaller trade up to get ahead of Washington at #13 and Arizona at #15. 

Basically for me there is no plan that does not involve having my Quarterback by the time pick 21 of the draft has been made. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....if Ferguson, White & Lauletta were ALL available in the 5th, who would be your choice?................

I’ll take White...the more I read of him and how he did through Senior Bowl week, the more I think he still has a great deal of potential. He did even play football and QB until his senior yr in high school - and had a 90mph fastball as a pitcher. 

On the subject of plan C, the aforementioned White in 4th, Peterman, and Smith for 5th this year (nothing more - unless a player for player is included ala Hughes and 5th for Smith and C. West)....if no Smith then I think honestly the best option is simply taking a flier with Tyler Bray and letting all 3 go earn it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I still think they will probably go with Peterman and a draft pick and have them battle it out. But there really is just no way to tell as of right now. I'm very anxious so see how all this unfolds.

bringing in ken dorsey as qb coach would be a sign that maybe they do that. i for one am ok with that as i think they can have at the very least, a more successful offensive output then last year. i think a second off season and camp will show a big step forward for nate.....jmo

all i know is that it's going to be one of the most exciting off seasons i've seen in years.

If I thought there was a chance Andrew Luck were available he would be my Plan A.  And like Kirby, I'd throw both 1sts, another 1st and Glenn, Tyrod,, Shaq, a packet of sweets, a copy of "Welcome to the Process" signed by Sean McDermott, one of Terry's fracking drills, an invitation to dinner with Kim and Joe Webb's package at them to get the deal done. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If I thought there was a chance Andrew Luck were available he would be my Plan A.  And like Kirby, I'd throw both 1sts, another 1st and Glenn, Tyrod,, Shaq, a packet of sweets, a copy of "Welcome to the Process" signed by Sean McDermott, one of Terry's fracking drills, an invitation to dinner with Kim and Joe Webb's package at them to get the deal done. 

I’ve made the case elsewhere but it isn’t even a terrible idea for Indy. Their roster stinks. They could get their LT, draft a QB at 3, take 2 more good players at 21 & 22 and get an extra 1st next year. They already have Brissett as a viable placeholder. They could turn Luck into:

- Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield

- Cordy Glenn

- Marcus Davenport

- Josh Jackson

- 2019 1st

That’s not a bad haul for a team with as many needs as they have. They could grab Sony Michel in the 2nd and Anthony Miller in the 3rd. They aren’t close to winning otherwise. That would be a good start for a rebuilding team to go along with Malik Hooker.

37 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I would be very upset if they failed to upgrade the QB position with such a rich QB FA period and draft.  I fully expect them to sign a veteran QB like Smith and draft a young talent like Rudolph 

I am with this.  Outside of making a full court press for Cousins, I would like to see them go for a veteran QB who is known to be able to play - Smith is my first choice - while taking the most talented QB we can reasonably get in the draft.  

I would not be OK with putting our QB eggs in a high injury risk pool - Luck, Bridgewater, Bradford.  I had no idea how severe Luck's injuries were or how complicated his recovery.  The fact that he went off seeking alternative treatments in Europe is a bit scary.  Bridgewater's injury was so severe and rare that there's really not much track record to go by, but I wasn't that impressed by his QB chops before the injury.  Bradford, breaking team hopes and fan hearts since 2013 with his knees.  That is a strategy you employ if you have a decent alternative.  Like, um, Keenum or McCown in which case .....just go for Keenum or McCown.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Tyrod Taylor should be plan Z. Plan Z is 90% of the QB's get mad cow disease and turn into zombies. 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Does this sound like a guy who's enough of a sure bet to come back that you're sure you want to send all that?  (Keep in mind "He's fine, he doesn't need surgery, he had surgery but he'll be ready for the season, He's not quite ready but I'm confident he'll be ready soon..." has been the continued refrain for more than a year at this point from the Colts).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21911888/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-says-believe-needs-another-shoulder-surgery

"Luck said his shoulder feels "stronger, more stable," and that he is more confident in it now than when he returned to practice in September. The test for Luck, though, will be when he resumes throwing in early January. (He hasn't thrown a ball since he was shut down in late October.) It's then that Luck and the Colts will have a better idea if the franchise quarterback will need to have another surgery, which could set him back as long as another six months. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-could-require-another-shoulder-surgery-after-europe-rehab/

"First up will be "a throwing regimen" for Luck when he gets back from his trip overseas. This is the same throwing regimen that, according to Mortensen, "resulted in a setback with pain and discomfort."   If Luck experiences additional pain during this next step, there would then be "an urgent discussion will occur for Luck to undergo a corrective surgery that involves relocating the biceps tendon that is attached to the repaired labrum," according to Mortensen. That is extremely concerning."

I go with "that is extremely concerning" myself.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does this sound like a guy who's enough of a sure bet to come back that you're sure you want to send all that?  (Keep in mind "He's fine, he doesn't need surgery, he had surgery but he'll be ready for the season, He's not quite ready but I'm confident he'll be ready soon..." has been the continued refrain for more than a year at this point from the Colts).

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21911888/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-says-believe-needs-another-shoulder-surgery

"Luck said his shoulder feels "stronger, more stable," and that he is more confident in it now than when he returned to practice in September. The test for Luck, though, will be when he resumes throwing in early January. (He hasn't thrown a ball since he was shut down in late October.) It's then that Luck and the Colts will have a better idea if the franchise quarterback will need to have another surgery, which could set him back as long as another six months. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-could-require-another-shoulder-surgery-after-europe-rehab/

"First up will be "a throwing regimen" for Luck when he gets back from his trip overseas. This is the same throwing regimen that, according to Mortensen, "resulted in a setback with pain and discomfort."   If Luck experiences additional pain during this next step, there would then be "an urgent discussion will occur for Luck to undergo a corrective surgery that involves relocating the biceps tendon that is attached to the repaired labrum," according to Mortensen. That is extremely concerning."

I go with "that is extremely concerning" myself.

Obviously it would need a thorough checking out before you sign off on a trade for him.