Potential replacements for Eric Wood

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Wood's cap number is $8.625MM.  I'm assuming this all gets freed if he retires, correct?

That's a significant chunk of money... they will be able to go after someone in FA.

Does not.  Read it actually goes to 10 million with retirement 

As I said in the other thread, Groy played very well when Wood went down last year. I think the staff knows and is comfortable plugging him in there. They don't need to put another position on the FA/draft priorities list this year.

There are so many ways the Bills could go, I don't see too much point in trying to predict it.  The most obvious are, of course, Ryan Groy or a high draft pick (Billy Price).  Price stands a good chance of being available where Buffalo picks and would be a good value.  If the Bills go with Groy, they might look for a veteran free agent to back him up, or a day 3 draft pick, or maybe even a UDFA.  

1 hour ago, Process said:

This is just a stupid post, I'm sorry. We are all very concerned for him, he seams like a really great guy and was great for the community. But none of us know him personally and our lives will move on. Wish him the best, but there are far more tragic things that happen in this world every single day. 

Anyways, there's nothing wrong with this thread. To be honest I'm not too concerned for the bills, he's always been a bit overrated as a player and at his age would have needed to be replaced in the next couple years anyways. 

Wishing you the best Eric. 

I totally agree. There's multiple threads discussing Wood , the injury and his legacy as a Bill. Nothing but respect being shown and prayers being said. This is a Bills board and the OP is bringing up a very real and valid point. What do you think our front office is doing? The people that know him and his family? They are evaluating the hole left and evaluating what to do about this sad news. 

With that said, Groy I believe might be better on the field, I think he can be a slight upgrade on the field. Wood will leave a big time void though as a respected leader and captain. 

My prayers to him and his family.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

When would be good for you?

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

A suggestion. Per Walterfootball:

Austin Corbett, OT/C, Nevada 
Height: 6-4. Weight: 305. 
Projected 40 Time: 5.12. 
Projected Round (2018): 3-5. 
1/22/18: Corbett was a versatile blocker for Nevada since he became a freshman starter. As a redshirt freshman and sophomore, Corbett was Nevada's starter at left tackle. For his junior year, he moved to right tackle, but was back at left tackle as a senior. Corbett received a Senior Bowl invitation and is listed at center for practicing in Mobile.

Will be interested to see how he fares during the Senior Bowl practices/game. We know OBD likes 4-year starters. Versatile. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

News came out less than an hour ago. Eric Wood is the gold standard as far as what a Buffalo Bill should be. I just think it comes off as callous and ungrateful to start lining up potential replacements. Now is the time for thoughts and prayers, just seems way too early for this. I don't care who replaces Wood, I just hope he recovers and lives a happy and healthy life.

So when is okay?

24 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

32 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Sportrac has it at $5,591,668.  4.3 in prorated bonus money, and a restructure bonus that lowered his cap hit from last year.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Not according to Sportrac. The first link is about how retirement affects the salary cap, which would make it essentially the same as a cut.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2016/3/5/11158958/nfl-101-how-cuts-retirements-and-trades-affect-the-salary-cap

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/eric-wood-5637/

Not sure where you guys are getting the $10m number (actually curious -- i'm no expert and recognize i could very well be wrong), but according to what I've read, it's 5.5m. It would have been an 8.5m hit if he were still playing. Wish it were an 8.5 mil hit and he were still able to play next year, but these appear to be the facts.

Yeah - all the bonus money is already paid so that gets pushed into this year.  Roster bonuses/workout bonuses don't count - as they were not met.  Guaranteed base salary is also paid out, but he didn't have any. 

38 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It wasn't really that hefty.

For a back up that wasn't slated to even compete for the RG spot....I thought it was a little high.  I thought after he signed it, he would compete to start at RG.

The tender we matched from the Rams was near a 2nd round tender.

Edited by Royale with Cheese