Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

horrible news. Thanks for everything, 70. Prayers up. You were a rock and a team leader for a long time.

Very unexpected news, Sad to see him go.

Groy should be solid , wouldn't mind drafting Frank Ragnow and Brian "BigButt" Allen. Let em  battle it out and put the other at guard.

16 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

The Bills have very little cap space. Already have like 14 million in dead money from Dareus. 

The more reports that come the more angry I get. Someone has some explaining to do. 

So Wood just stole close to 5 million and left us with 10 million dead cap? 

Well Kim Pegula signs his paycheck, and she publicly sent her well wishes and condolences to him.

You seem more upset than she is.

There was a stipulation in his contract that retirement due to injury was left solely up to the team doctors, that a player couldn't choose to retire based on injury unless the doctors cleared it (as well as the player couldn't choose NOT to retire if the Dr said he had to)

Unstable vertebrae or disc herniations could be fixed, but the more I think about it, he probably had some spinal cord lesions/damage from years of playing in the trenches.

The doc probably said that he's one bad hit from being paralyzed or dead.

You are angry?

Why?

So we eat 10mil in dead cap space.

Who cares?

This man, by all public accounts a very good man, who is a recent father of a newborn, who has given his body to the football gods, is walking away, and able to (hopefully) lead a happy life.

These players, especially linemen, get their bodies destroyed. They have some of the most beaten, bruised, and smashed up bodies of any position in any pro sport.

They carry damage throughout their whole lives, pain they will feel until they die.

I for one am glad for him that the danger was found now and not before he ended up strapped to a body board at OBD, an entire stadium silent, hoping he will be okay.

Instead he is going home, getting to hold his wife and new baby.

Good for him.

Shame on your for being angry about this, towards him.

Reevaluate your life and priorities sir.

Edited by SouthNYfan
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

People in here talking about cap space... the internet will be the death of civilization.

Sad to see Eric retire under these circumstances. I'm sure it's not the way any player imagines walking away form the game. He stuck with us through some truly terrible years and is what a Buffalo Bill should be.

• Like (+1) 1

If he chooses to stay in the Buffalo area, I would love to see him kept around the organization in a community ambassador type role, somewhat similar to what you see Jim Kelly doing now. There doesn't need to be only one. I'm going to be 30 years old in April and I barely remember Kelly's playing days. It would be nice to have another long-time, respected former player around for stuff that the younger generation of fans have memories of as well.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You know how racist it makes it look??  The guys shipped out where black and a guy like Wood was overpaid

Please stop.

12 hours ago, PirateHookerMD said:

Tough loss. Kind of a screw job that we get hit with 11 M cap hit apparently per spotrac. 

"screw job" kind of implies Wood screwing the Bills.  I hope that's not what you meant.  He went hard, didn't miss a snap this season, and was a team leader.  If someone offers you a good deal and you accept it, you're not screwing them.

I do have a beef with the Bills medical staff and the way they vet players before trades/contract extensions.  It just seems we draft, sign, and extend an excessive number of players with known injury problems who then, due to injury in the same area, miss significant time or give us little benefit.  Shaq Lawson, Chris Williams (OL), even Kelvin Benjamin. Edit: add Cyrus Kouandjio and Charles Clay, who play(ed) but seem limited by medical condition.

Now Eric Woods - I'm going to assume he acknowledged neck pain or had restricted movement on exit physical, and was sent for an MRI which revealed the problem.  But couldn't he have had an exam and been sent for an MRI before the extension?

This is the reason I'm against the Bills bringing in Bradford or Bridgewater.  I don't think our medical staff has a very good track record these days at predicting what injuries might be problematical, and I don't think our contract negotiators have a good track record at protecting the organization.

Edit: please note, this is NOT saying Wood "stole from" the Bills or "screwed" them.  If someone offers you a deal, and you take it, that's on them, not you.  Wood didn't initiate retirement, he said in his statement he sought second opinions which confirmed the Bills physicians. This isn't his choice or his doing.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Luka said:

People in here talking about cap space... the internet will be the death of civilization.

I rather think that the internet has simply made glaringly evident the deeply flawed nature of human beings.  I agree, of course, with the umbrage taken at a superficial selfishness that is unable to acknowledge with gratitude both the achievement of Eric Wood and his safely walking away from the sport.

54 minutes ago, JM57 said:

If he chooses to stay in the Buffalo area, I would love to see him kept around the organization in a community ambassador type role, somewhat similar to what you see Jim Kelly doing now. There doesn't need to be only one. I'm going to be 30 years old in April and I barely remember Kelly's playing days. It would be nice to have another long-time, respected former player around for stuff that the younger generation of fans have memories of as well.

I’d love to see him take over for s departing Donald Jones on the John Murphy show....

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

?

Half in jest, but Murph is employed by either the Bills or Pegula Sports & Entertainment, either way the point is the same. Expecting any type of objectivity from the show would be silly. Hockey Hotline and the John Murphy show broadcast the narratives that the ownership wants to project. That's okay, I would just rather see Eric Wood land on his feet in a way that allows him to actually keep it real. Schlubs like Andrew Peters and Craig Rivet can keep pumping the company line.

Edited by JM57
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

What kind of league would let Wood play in the Pro Bowl with an injury no Dr would sign off on him continuing his football career. Makes no sense.

Would Bills have said nothing knowing what they knew and watched Wood risk his health in a meaningless worthless pro Bowl???

• Like (+1) 2