Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

watching him play a few years...

he's not a clubhouse leader by any stretch of the imagination, no Pops Stargell or Mark Messier here....

Ah yes, the far off observer who has never participated in a meeting or talked to LeSean but can speak to confidently about his ability as a leader.

I don't know either. But I hate when someone spouts off an opinion about how someone carries themselves at a job who just flat out doesn't know.  Spoiler alert, people act differently behind closed doors, especially at work.

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm out of town and didn't see the PC. Also don't have the patience to read this whole thread. Seems like there was some fiasco with the PC. 

Can someone please give me a brief recap of what all you guys are talking about? Thanks.

Wood arrived for the press conference ~55 min late  looking like he'd like to don pads and pwn someone and read a <2 min statement in which he explained that

1) a disc dangerously close to the spinal cord at C2/C3 had been found on MRI during post-season physical (C2/C3 level injury = ventilator, quadriplegia)

2) the Bills doctor, Dr Cappucino, told him it was not possible for him to be cleared to play football any more even with treatment or surgery

3) Wood is still on the Bills roster and hopes to contribute to the team in future

He very carefully avoided the word "retired" or "retirement".  Then he picked up his little girl, kissed her, and disappeared behind a curtain, leaving McDermott, Beane, and a number of former teammates, charitable foundation members, and reporters to speculate about what just happened and why.

Well, presumably Beane and McDermott know but they're not talking.  Speculation reigns.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm out of town and didn't see the PC. Also don't have the patience to read this whole thread. Seems like there was some fiasco with the PC. 

Can someone please give me a brief recap of what all you guys are talking about? Thanks. 

here's the 1:30 video

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Watch-Eric-Wood-Statement/56c5f775-84b0-4686-a1d8-de052de25cb8

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wood arrived for the press conference ~55 min late  looking like he'd like to don pads and pwn someone and read a <2 min statement in which he explained that

1) a disc dangerously close to the spinal cord at C2/C3 had been found on MRI during post-season physical (C2/C3 level injury = ventilator, quadriplegia)

2) the Bills doctor, Dr Cappucino, told him it was not possible for him to be cleared to play football any more even with treatment or surgery

3) Wood is still on the Bills roster and hopes to contribute to the team in future

He very carefully avoided the word "retired" or "retirement".  Then he picked up his little girl, kissed her, and disappeared behind a curtain, leaving McDermott, Beane, and a number of former teammates, charitable foundation members, and reporters to speculate about what just happened and why.

Well, presumably Beane and McDermott know but they're not talking.  Speculation reigns.

...I'm only guessing the whole situation is a matter of semantics and how it best should be handled contractually, within league parameters and CBA to maximize the "mutual best interest of all parties involved".....and the hastily called news conference did not vet all of those considerations.....Eric getting all of his money and the Bills maximizing any cap relief would be a "win-win" IMO......don't see what would be wrong with that, but my guess is the "proper way" takes time....

15 hours ago, Pilsner said:

Eric Wood, a gentleman brawler. He isn't the biggest or the strongest but he sure has the heart and tenacity of a champion. He's the closest comparison to Kent Hull I've seen in a while. Thank you for your admirable service Mr. Wood. You are forever a part of the Bills family in my book. Your leadership will be missed.

well spoken.
I do wish we could end on this clear and kind note.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

i would expect all sides to do whatever it took to make the most $$$ for their side

yep.

in the most gracious manner though

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

nope. do your own homework

:P

• SDS unpinned this topic

Buffalo Bills' Zay Jones played through torn labrum, says father Robert Jones

Jones revealed that his son played with a torn labrum for the majority of the season.

"Here's a guy that's going into surgery on Tuesday to get his shoulder repaired and people hardly knew that he played the entire season with, you know, a torn labrum. So how would you like sitting around and you're going to grab a glass of water and your arm falls out of its socket?"

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/01/buffalo_bills_zay_jones_played_through_torn_labrum_says_father_robert_jones.html       Jan 13

Not sitting Eric after his 1st stinger that should have been the end of his career , now Zay , what the heck is the medical staff doing ?

Edited by ALF