Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

What kind of league would let Wood play in the Pro Bowl with an injury no Dr would sign off on him continuing his football career. Makes no sense.

Would Bills have said nothing knowing what they knew and watched Wood risk his health in a meaningless worthless pro Bowl???

It does seem like an unnecessary risk.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Good article, helps put it into perspective

I think that's still Dr. David Chao. Looks like he just writes/posts under "Pro Football Doc" now. Either way, he's a reliably educated source on these things, and the good news he reports this as a good example of why teams to exit physicals - the Bills' docs probably caught a potential problem that could limit Wood's life activities (not just football) earlier rather than later. Eric Wood, best of everything, and thanks for the memories ...

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It does seem like an unnecessary risk.  

...isn't it a timing issue as far as PB alternate designation and when physical was performed?....seems like physical was more recent and thankfully it was......rather see him WALK away versus on a gurney paralyzed............

On 1/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, simool said:

$70 is a bit rich for my blood.  The way I see it you could go:

$9 for years played

$28 for draft position

$70 for jersey number

I went with $28

Anything you give is generous, no donation is better than another. It is  the meaning that counts. Where did you donate, I am not finding a direct Foundation. I tried the Childrens Hospital and got a error when submitted.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...isn't it a timing issue as far as PB alternate designation and when physical was performed?....seems like physical was more recent and thankfully it was......rather see him WALK away versus on a gurney paralyzed............

The physical had to be conducted before he headed out of town around the time of locker cleanout with consultations with other doctors thereafter. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cba fan said:

What kind of league would let Wood play in the Pro Bowl with an injury no Dr would sign off on him continuing his football career. Makes no sense.

Would Bills have said nothing knowing what they knew and watched Wood risk his health in a meaningless worthless pro Bowl???

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Something fishy going on! Maybe just getting elected becomes a stat for his BIO. If he retires he isn't eligible. 

12 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Derrick Burroughs was another ex who retired with the bills over a neck issue

I remember well, Bickering Bills time. Derrick had a narrowing of the spine that could severe spinal cord.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

You know how racist it makes it look??  The guys shipped out where black and a guy like Wood was overpaid

I'm pretty quick to point out race issues with this team and fan base but you're an idiot.

Talking about him stealing money and ****. The trades, I'm not a fan of them however we got back gaines and Benjamin, both black. The guys they draft, will probably be black.

Talking about woods stealing money and getting mad at the cap space. Get over it. If you're gonna talk about race how you do, then you should be happy how this organization is treating their players. Most of you are unhappy with it, but that's just jealously. If Eric Wood is injured doing his job to the point that he can no longer do that job, he should be paid the contract in full. NFL contracts should be fully guaranteed, it's disgusting that they aren't.

In essence, you're an uncle Tom. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

50?!? Give me 10.

Saban, Butch Byrd, Metzelaars, Bennett, Christie, Schobel, Flutie, Moulds, Rueben Brown, Butler, Haslett, Kyle Williams, Cribbs, McKeller, Kevin Everett, Reggie McKenzie, Ben Williams, Shane Nelson, Fred Jackson, Romes, Mario Clark, Frank Lewis, Lou Piccone, Isaiah Roberstone

Edited by USABuffaloFan
  • Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, cba fan said:

I’m assuming he would have gone in and done a few fake handoffs like Jeff Saturday did the year he retired. 

1 hour ago, cba fan said:

He was going to announce his retirement at the Pro Bowl if he got the call

Not actually play. He was gonna use it as his platform to walk off into the sunset 

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, Boyst62 said:

the reality is life is just now beginning for him.

i truly hope he sees it this way.

for what is probably close to 20 years he has played football and it's been a foundation of his life - likely the most consistent part of it, too.

life is just beginning for him and i hope we can celebrate that for him.

*nods*

By all accounts he has a pretty full life outside football, so I think his chances are good.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Wood's cap hit for 2018 won't be $10.4M.  He'll either get the $4.8M salary or the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, but not both. 

Not correct.  The bonus has already been paid to him.  As a medically-forced retirement, he does not refund it as he would for a voluntary 'bye!'

Like many vets, next year's salary fully guaranteed for football-related injury.  Discovered during exit physical, and the Bills aren't gonna argue it isn't football related.

He gets both.  Good for him.

Sucks for the Bills, but 'it be's that way sometime'

1 hour ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Saban, Butch Byrd, Metzelaars, Bennett, Christie, Schobel, Flutie, Moulds, Rueben Brown, Butler, Haslett, Kyle Williams, Cribbs, McKeller, Kevin Everett, Reggie McKenzie, Ben Williams, Shane Nelson, Fred Jackson, Romes, Mario Clark, Frank Lewis, Lou Piccone, Isaiah Roberstone

Lou Piccone? C'mon, man.

Jason Peters? OK. :D

Edited by Rico

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I think that's still Dr. David Chao. Looks like he just writes/posts under "Pro Football Doc" now. Either way, he's a reliably educated source on these things, and the good news he reports this as a good example of why teams to exit physicals - the Bills' docs probably caught a potential problem that could limit Wood's life activities (not just football) earlier rather than later. Eric Wood, best of everything, and thanks for the memories ...

Yup, we can wait a few days before talking salary cap as well.

1 hour ago, USABuffaloFan said:

I appreciate the effort. There are definitely some players there I'd put Wood ahead of. Go Bills!

This news has really sunk in now, and I am definitely bummed out. But also very glad that he's able to walk away before serious injury potentially happened. 

Losing him leaves such a huge hole in the locker room, and on the field (although I hope Groy is able to step in and play well like when EW broke his leg. That would go a long way toward helping our cap situation next year). 

I really hope that Kyle chooses to come back for at least 1 more year now. It'd be hard to stomach losing both him and Wood in the same offseason. 

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm pretty quick to point out race issues with this team and fan base but you're an idiot.

Talking about him stealing money and ****. The trades, I'm not a fan of them however we got back gaines and Benjamin, both black. The guys they draft, will probably be black.

Talking about woods stealing money and getting mad at the cap space. Get over it. If you're gonna talk about race how you do, then you should be happy how this organization is treating their players. Most of you are unhappy with it, but that's just jealously. If Eric Wood is injured doing his job to the point that he can no longer do that job, he should be paid the contract in full. NFL contracts should be fully guaranteed, it's disgusting that they aren't.

In essence, you're an uncle Tom. 

Sorry but there has been a lot of racism surrounding this regime. Go look at the reports coming out when Tyrod was benched for Peterman. 

45 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This news has really sunk in now, and I am definitely bummed out. But also very glad that he's able to walk away before serious injury potentially happened. 

Losing him leaves such a huge hole in the locker room, and on the field (although I hope Groy is able to step in and play well like when EW broke his leg. That would go a long way toward helping our cap situation next year). 

I really hope that Kyle chooses to come back for at least 1 more year now. It'd be hard to stomach losing both him and Wood in the same offseason. 

Yeah - Same here.  Leaders are so important to a team, and we just lost a good one

regardless of my mixed feelings at times over Eric Wood as a player, he seems, by any and everything i read, to be a Damn fine human being and Team mate. I always liked him. Embodies what i feel Buffalo Bills represent to me.

I want to wish he and his Family many years of health and happiness.

Thank you Eric

• Like (+1) 3