Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

Been a Bills fan for almost 40 years and there are few Bills players that I can think of in that time who were warriors on the field, leaders on the team and had the combination of intelligence, honesty and articulation of speech like Eric had. I feel very sad hearing this news. At least he got the playoffs once. Instant wall of fame player here.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....Graham claims Wood was retiring regardless........

Bills C Eric Wood is retiring from the NFL after nine seasons.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

Jan 26 - 11:43 AM

This is getting weird now.

If this is the case why is the injury such big news and why would Wood tweet that he was retiring due to injury. His salary was guaranteed for injury they found at end of season physical so he was getting paid either way how he announced it after physical.

2 minutes ago, cba fan said:

This is getting weird now.

If this is the case why is the injury such big news and why would Wood tweet that he was retiring due to injury. His salary was guaranteed for injury they found at end of season physical so he was getting paid either way how he announced it after physical.

it’s an inaccurate summary of Graham’s actual tweet

Just now, Ittakestime said:

Im reading what was posted in this thread with the source being Tim Graham. Is there is something else out there, let me know. 

Yes. I posted the actual tweet. Twice. 

32 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

According to Graham he was retiring no matter what. He signed that contract with the guarantee money knowing he wasn't going to play

Uh, no. He decided to retire when Dr. C told him to...after the season.

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it was just a cumulative thing, it makes me wonder about the Bills doctors....

DFCXgU8V0AEalQj.jpg:large

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

it’s an inaccurate summary of Graham’s actual tweet

Yes. I posted the actual tweet. Twice. 

What???

This is the tweet. From Graham.

Eric Wood held off the announcement in case he got the call to play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday. He was an alternate behind Maurice Pouncey and Rodney Hudson.

Wood was hopeful that could be his farewell, but he had planned on retiring regardless.

33 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...glad Graham issued a subsequent statement to clarify...good find bud...........:thumbsup:

Where did you paste that summary from, out of curiosity? It looked like rotoworld?

3 minutes ago, cba fan said:

What???

This is the tweet. From Graham.

Eric Wood held off the announcement in case he got the call to play in the Pro Bowl on Sunday. He was an alternate behind Maurice Pouncey and Rodney Hudson.

Wood was hopeful that could be his farewell, but he had planned on retiring regardless.

I’m aware. Regardless of whether he had his farewell in the Pro Bowl. Not regardless of whether he was told he could no longer play football. The tweet was about the timing of the announcement in relation to the Pro Bowl. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is a bummer no matter how you look at it.

Even though he had 9 years, it still feels really early. Kinda like Aaron Schobel or Brad Butler (although not as soon as Butler). Talented players who could've definitely continued to make an impact but for whatever reason retired early.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m aware. Regardless of whether he had his farewell in the Pro Bowl. Not regardless of whether he was told he could no longer play football. 

Graham was quoted as saying he was retiring regardless of the neck injury.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

What are we missing here?

Just now, cba fan said:

Graham was quoted as saying he was retiring regardless of the neck injury.

What are we missing here?

No, he is not quoted. Where did you paste that from? The source is his tweet, but it is an inaccurate summary of the tweet. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, he is not quoted. Where did you paste that from? The source is his tweet, but it is an inaccurate summary of the tweet. 

yeah sounds like errant misinterpretation of Grahams Tweet. I pasted from other poster who listed the source as Graham tweet.

My bad.

Edited by cba fan