Eric Wood has career-ending neck injury; will retire

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, cba fan said:

Graham was quoted as saying he was retiring regardless of the neck injury.

A neck injury is partly to blame for Wood calling it quits, though the Buffalo News' Tim Graham reports Wood was going to hang the cleats up regardless. Wood was the 28th overall pick in the 2009 draft and spent all nine of his seasons in Buffalo, making the playoffs for the first time this past season. He made 120 career starts and was a one-time Pro Bowl selection in 2015. It's a big loss from a leadership standpoint as well. Ryan Groy makes sense as a replacement.

What are we missing here?

Wow, you are really struggling here

Tim Graham tweeted:

He never said the neck injury was partially to blame. That article you are linking is adding that bit. He’s saying he held of the announcement of his retiring, due to the neck injury, because of the pro bowl. He was going to use the Pro Bowl to announce it, if he made it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, cba fan said:

yeah sounds like errant misinterpretation of Grahams Tweet.

My bad.

It’s on rotoworld that way. Some bot can’t read.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football/?ls=roto%3anfl%3amorenewsbottom

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Wow, you are really struggling here

Tim Graham tweeted:

He never said the neck injury was partially to blame. That article you are linking is adding that bit. He’s saying he held of the announcement of his retiring, due to the neck injury, because of the pro bowl. He was going to use the Pro Bowl to announce it, if he made it.

It’s the summary on rotoworld. Enough said. 

• Like (+1) 1

I appreciated Eric wood for so many things but the one of them was his honesty. He called it as he saw it. His segment on WGR was candid and intelligent. Probably my favorite regular player or former player segment on the station. I always remember him being totally blunt about the Bills in Toronto embarrassment a few years ago, he hated it and wasn't afraid to say it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

I appreciated Eric wood for so many things but the one of them was his honesty. He called it as he saw it. His segment on WGR was candid and intelligent. Probably my favorite regular player or former player segment on the station. I always remember him being totally blunt about the Bills in Toronto embarrassment a few years ago, he hated it and wasn't afraid to say it.

If WGR could somehow convince he and Fred to have a show together their ratings would skyrocket 

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

When did this happen? I don't ever remember hearing he had an injury to the neck.

...sounds like a degenerative condition  that worsened over time.....season ending physical probably showed he was at risk for serious injury......just a guess....

19 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

He will definitely be missed. What a tough way to find out your football career is over. First class top notch community guy. Wish him and his family the best. Gunna miss that curly blonde dome. Groy next man up.

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He will definitely be missed. What a tough way to find out your football career is over. First class top notch community guy. Wish him and his family the best. Gunna miss that curly blonde dome. Groy next man up.

...if, IF Meatball decides to retire, I say Eric & Kyle go up on the WOF in a dual ceremony........tough two find two better club leaders who have gutted it out through thick and thin (mostly thin) over the last decade IMO.......

That's unfortunate for Wood he really seemed to like playing for McD and was coming off his only playoff game of his career. I always liked Wood, he was a good center for this team and always a gamer. It is good for the team that they have Groy waiting in the wings to take over for him at the position and probably play at a similar level but it is unfortunate that his career has to end this way. 

Glad to see Wood get that playoff game to end his career. 

He was a good player and a better person.  Represented the team and himself well.  This is a bad break to have his career cut short but a blessing that they found this medical condition.  I hope he stays with the team in some capacity. 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's unfortunate for Wood he really seemed to like playing for McD and was coming off his only playoff game of his career. I always liked Wood, he was a good center for this team and always a gamer. It is good for the team that they have Groy waiting in the wings to take over for him at the position and probably play at a similar level but it is unfortunate that his career has to end this way. 

Glad to see Wood get that playoff game to end his career. 

...and at least he gets to end it walking off the field instead of a horrific in game injury.......Everett was tough enough..............and this kid has been a decade long warrior....BTW, I think you give Richie an extension especially with this news.....Groy is a capable replacement for Eric but we'll have to develop depth.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy