Bills History

In the years 1988-93 the Bills played 112 games, this amounts to a whole extra season (7 years total).This has to be a record! Anybody?

It is no wonder that Jim, Thurman, Andre and Bruce amongst others were spent by the 94 season. Just think of all the pounding Thurman took during those cold January playoff games.

I remember the Denver playoff game in 1992 that was a 10-7 win, but just a brutal physical game. Our only TD was a defensive score. The Broncos safeties Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater were vicious hitters who brought the lumber every chance they got. Thurman was very banged from the game.

Truly remarkable to think of how much those guys sacrificed during their time.

I just wanted to share a point that is lost in all the year. We were very lucky as fans during that period!

• Like (+1) 1

Love that you brought up the surrounding years. Most remember it as a 4 year run.

And we always remember the core players, but there was turn-over as well. I don't have an encyclopedic memory but what I remember is losing guys on the offensive line over time contributing to Thurmans decline in production as well. I can remember Kelly imploring the line to hold their block for that extra half second in his last year.

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Love that you brought up the surrounding years. Most remember it as a 4 year run.

And we always remember the core players, but there was turn-over as well. I don't have an encyclopedic memory but what I remember is losing guys on the offensive line over time contributing to Thurmans decline in production as well. I can remember Kelly imploring the line to hold their block for that extra half second in his last year.

Yeah, Will Wohlford left in FA to the Colts and John Fina took over and wasn't as good. I think Glenn Parker took over at guard at some point too.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I think it was a blocked fg that he returned for a TD, but I was also pretty young...

TD 1 was a run by Don Smith after a strip sack

TD 2 was Biscuit's return of the blocked FG and 

TD 3 was the pick 6 by Leonard Smth

That was back when the fans knew the Bills were going to win no matter what....awesome...... 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, chaccof said:

That was back when the fans knew the Bills were going to win no matter what....awesome...... 

A great era back then, best part for me and many other season ticket holders was being at every one of those games.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

If it interesting how little interest some people have on this board about that era.

I guess 25-30 years ago is the dark ages now.

Then again, maybe they are just jealous if they missed that time.

As an out-of-towner I can't get enough of the local recollections. I just can't add much to the conversation.

I do remember walking into the local sporting goods store during the SB era and being shocked to see Bills jerseys for sale. That was cool.

But I have a ton of respect for Bills fans who missed out on the good times and were die-hard throughout the drought.

I'm looking forward to the day when this board can debate whether the Bills Super Bowl winning team is better than the 90's team.

P.S. - it's the 90's team hands down

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

We had a night game against Oakland when we came from behind.  I remember Nate Odoms took the ball out of the receiver's hands for a pick 6.  Tasked blocked a punt also but not sure if we scored off the block.  Great memories.

JD Williams ran the block in for the TD

5 hours ago, horned dogs said:

In the years 1988-93 the Bills played 112 games, this amounts to a whole extra season (7 years total).This has to be a record! Anybody?

It is no wonder that Jim, Thurman, Andre and Bruce amongst others were spent by the 94 season. Just think of all the pounding Thurman took during those cold January playoff games.

I remember the Denver playoff game in 1992 that was a 10-7 win, but just a brutal physical game. Our only TD was a defensive score. The Broncos safeties Dennis Smith and Steve Atwater were vicious hitters who brought the lumber every chance they got. Thurman was very banged from the game.

I just wanted to share a point that is lost in all the year. We were very lucky as fans during that period!

Interesting, out of the 4 players you mentioned, only Bruce Smith really had a few standout years after '94.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ray Finkel said:

We had a night game against Oakland when we came from behind.  I remember Nate Odoms took the ball out of the receiver's hands for a pick 6.  Tasked blocked a punt also but not sure if we scored off the block.  Great memories.

This may have been the week after that Bronco game. It was a crazy few weeks.

5 hours ago, horned dogs said:

Elway got hurt and Kubiak was playing well.  They were driving late, but I think we recovered a fumble.

16 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

This is long before the glory days but one of my good memories was the Roland Hooks 4 TD game against the Bengals.   IIRC he had TDs on his first 4 carries.

This was the first Bills game I ever attended!  I still have the sports pages from the following day. A lot of people had left the stadium well before the Hail Mary...

I hope the Bills can start beating that team again sometime soon!

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

This may have been the week after that Bronco game. It was a crazy few weeks.

Elway got hurt and Kubiak was playing well.  They were driving late, but I think we recovered a fumble.

The Bills were fortunate to win, the defense won the game with a Carlton Bailey fumble return to start second half.

We couldn't move the ball, Wade Phillips was the DC for Denver. This in and of itself was amazing with the offense we had that year. Great coach.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did not see that era and yes - I am jealous.  The good times are coming back though... I am sure of it. 

You bet they're are just around the corner if some of the right moves ( ones you recommended), are made this offseason.

The game that always sticks in mind is the game against Miami in 1995 season playoffs. I will admit I had a little tear in my eye after that game. Made you proud to be a Bills fan. It felt like one last attempt at the prize. That team was not nearly as talented as some of the earlier ones because the players had aged- it was a different kind of team. Such a smart, savvy, tough, experienced team that knew how to win. The game itself was crazy, both teams put up over 500 yards. Marino threw like 65x for well over 400 yards, The Bills rushed for nearly 350 yards on over 50 attempts. One memory that sticks out is the Bills running little short reverses several times to Tasker and Billy Brooks that were effective. My favorite Thurman had 158 yards, he was supported by Darick Holmes and Tim Tindale combining for 155 yards. Damn great memories. I want more!

Edited by horned dogs

13 hours ago, chaccof said:

I was at that game. When Denver lined up to take the FG I decided it was a good time to go to the bathroom. Bad decision.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/9/30/1703600/september-30-1990-bills-score-20-points-in-77-seconds

Also, the next week was the Monday night game against Oakland that others had mentioned where they came back from losing from 10 to winning by 14 in the 4th quarter. It was not quite as dramatic a comeback only because it took longer (i.e. more than 77 seconds), but was still a huge comeback in back to back games. I remembered both of those, but had forgotten until I just watched this video but the following week they came back against the Jets in the last 30 seconds to make it three straight fourth quarter come from behind victories.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/1990-Three-Straight-Come-From-Behind-Victories/f1793f31-d7f1-4abb-9c20-82fd3e075d7a

2 hours ago, horned dogs said:

The Bills were fortunate to win, the defense won the game with a Carlton Bailey fumble return to start second half.

We couldn't move the ball, Wade Phillips was the DC for Denver. This in and of itself was amazing with the offense we had that year. Great coach.

You bet they're are just around the corner if some of the right moves ( ones you recommended), are made this offseason.

wasn't it a pass interception on Bailey's part?

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I remember it as 3 great years losing to CIncy, Cleveland and the Giants, then holding hope for one more year until it was obvious the AFC champion wasn't even JV compared to the NFC and the inevitable pillaging and destruction of the Bills was a-coming....

13 minutes ago, chaccof said:

wasn't it a pass interception on Bailey's part?

Yes.  Jeff Wright sniffed out a screen pass and batted the ball which Carlton Bailey picked at about the 10 yard line and took in.  Go to about 19:30 of this to catch it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, chaccof said:

TD1 was the blocked FG returned by Bennett

TD2 was the pick 6 by Leonard Smith

TD3 was a short K. Davis TD run after Bennett recovered a fumbled snap inside the 5 yard line.

Edited by devldog131

2 hours ago, devldog131 said:

TD1 was the blocked FG returned by Bennett

TD2 was the pick 6 by Leonard Smith

TD3 was a short K. Davis TD run after Bennett recovered a fumbled snap inside the 5 yard line.

i stand corrected.....had wrist surgery yesterday and will blame it on that

22 hours ago, horned dogs said:

If it interesting how little interest some people have on this board about that era.

I guess 25-30 years ago is the dark ages now.

Then again, maybe they are just jealous if they missed that time.

I'm not disinterested, but as a young fan, I am VERY jealous.

Edit: Jealous of the success, not the heartache.

Edited by Watkins101
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On January 25, 2018 at 6:19 PM, SinceThe70s said:

Both the offensive and defensive lines had a lot more turnover than most people remember.

The offensive line had guys like Jim Ritcher on it in its early phases; the defensive line had guys like Art Still!

And absolutely: the build up years in the '80s to the Superbowl Run were definitely a big part of the process.  Those were fun years too as there was so much anticipation of the team "arriving".  Usually ending in playoff disappointment, but it was all a fun time as well no doubt.

4 hours ago, devldog131 said:

Here is the video of the 20 points in 77 seconds. The blocker Nate Odomes beat to block the field goal? None other than Rick Dennison.

http://dai.ly/x299fpy

Thanks for posting this video; I lived through it live at the time, but I probably haven't seen it since!  I got goosebumps re-living that little piece of Bills history.

For those here who are too young to remember that game, what you see in this clip defines that era for the Bills.  As a fan, you had a belief, a knowledge, that the team could get it done no matter what the challenge was and excellence was to be expected! 

Listen to the crowd in that video.  The place is buzzing at fever pitch the entire time!

Great memories!