Is Tom Brady better than Jordan?

BigDingus

Is Brady Better than Jordan?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Brady vs Jordan

• Yes, 5 (possibly 6) Super Bowl rings is more impressive than 6 NBA rings.
    • No, 6 NBA rings is more impressive than 5 Super Bowl Rings
    • Yes, but only if he wins this 6th championship.
    • No, even if he wins he's still not Jordan.

They're talking about it on ESPN Radio right now, and I have to say I sadly think yes, he is.

Jordan is considered the GOAT in the NBA. He has 6 Championship rings. However, there have been several players with more than that like Bill Russell, Robert Horry, Sam Jones, etc. but Jordan gets more credit because he did it in the modern era and was the leader of those teams.

Again, we have people like Kareem Abdul Jabbar with 6, same with Scottie Pippen, and plenty of people who were also leaders of their team with 5. Tom Brady is tied right now with Charles Haley with most rings regardless of position, but could possibly surpass that with a win. 

I'd argue his 5 rings in the NFL as a QB leading his team is more significant than 6 rings in the NBA, but if he gets 6, there's no contest. He already has the stats to back up everything (just like Jordan), and has more championship game appearances. He's also played 36 post season games (the equivalent of over 2 full NFL seasons) which is absolutely nuts. Jordan also played just over 2 full seasons worth of games in the post season.

Jordan was a 6 time Finals MVP, 5 time League MVP, and is 4th all time in scoring. Brady is 4 time SB MVP (most all time), 2 time AP League MVP, and 4th all time in yards/3rd all time in TDs. Brady is also the winningest QB of all time with 223 wins (Peyton is 2nd with 200), while also being the winningest post-season QB ever with 27 wins & 9 losses (.750 win percentage) compared to 2nd place Joe Montana's 16 wins & 7 losses (.696 win percentage).

The fact that Brady dwarfs his peers in post season success, has the stats to back it up in the regular season, stands alone at the top for championship wins & championship appearances (literally played in a SB every other year of his career on average), completed the first & only 16-0 regular season record, 2nd all time in 4th quarter comebacks, 3rd best 4th quarter passer rating all time (behind Tony Romo & Matt Ryan), and makes his teammates better solidifies his spot in my opinion.

On top of all that, he's done it in the era of Free Agency (insane!) and without star players loading up the roster. They gifted him some great receivers in Moss & Welker once, and they were fantastic, but otherwise he has a rotating cast of role players that he elevates, and Gronk. To put how crazy this is in perspective, before Brady the Pats had 2 SB appearances, 0 wins. In their franchise HISTORY, the Steelers & Cowboys have 6 SB championships each with 8 appearances.

In one generation, Brady himself has 8 appearances! In that one generation, he has the chance to tie the top 2 franchises in SB wins himself! In the Brady era, he has put the Patriots in the same league as the Cowboys & Steelers in franchise relevance. Jim Kelly is a legend with 4 SB losses...even if Brady loses this SB, that'll almost tie him with Kelly's losses, with the caveat that he also has 5 wins on top of it! 

Overall, I'd say 5 NFL SB rings as a QB is more exclusive and difficult than 6 NBA rings. The fact more people aren't straight up calling him the GOAT *period* as they did Jordan is weird to me. If he wins this game, that'll change fast.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Can we ban all posts worshipping Brady ? This is a Bills board for heaven's sake. I really really would rather not see another Brady post

I'm not "worshiping." 

I just want to know, from an unbiased standpoint, how people feel in comparison to Jordan. Seriously, we can be mature about this, even on a Bills board. 

There are tons of non-Bills related posts every day discussing various topics. This is no worse.

Just now, FappyTheClown said:

Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete of all time. Better than Jordan and Bratty. 

That very well could be true, but in terms of accomplishments what is your opinion?

• Like (+1) 1

Not even remotely true.

Basketball players play offense and defense...........are in almost constant running mode.

Jordan is the greatest.

Brady may be the best QB of all time, but Iwouldn't say he was the Greatest NFL player.............that would be Jim Brown.

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I'm not "worshiping." 

I just want to know, from an unbiased standpoint, how people feel in comparison to Jordan. Seriously, we can be mature about this, even on a Bills board. 

There are tons of non-Bills related posts every day discussing various topics. This is no worse.

That very well could be true, but in terms of accomplishments what is your opinion?

This is the mature me . You don't want me to type what I really think about Brady. 

To your other points, I couldn't care less about that team. I am sick of the constant message about how great they are

I don't know how many times Brady has to play nearly flawless in the 4th quarter to rally his team to victory before not being considered the GOAT in any sport?  Jordan didn't win a title until Phil Jackson came so I don't want to hear how it's all been Belichick.  If he wins his 6th title this year I'd consider him the GOAT, even though I don't like him personally.

Edited by Doc Brown

I'd still go with Jordan, but Brady deserves to be in the conversation as the GOAT of any sport.  For my take, he is the best football player to have ever lived, what he does is very Jordanesque in that when he decides to really turn it on he is often times unstoppable. I just can't wait till he retires.