Gilmore is now beloved in NE (Yahoo Article)

BigDingus

1 hour ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but it was crazy watching the games yesterday and seeing Gilmore have the game sealing play, and then seeing Jim Schwartz's defense light it up with Nigel Bradham, Corey Graham, and Ronald Darby...  Darby had a pick that was knocked out of his hands and into Graham's hands I believe.

Bradham is a player I'd like to see back.  

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's a good cornerback.

Has anyone noticed in recent history that the Bills (and their fans) have turned on nearly every single player whom they picked high and/or gave a big contract to?  The level of buyer's remorse at OBD is incredible.

It’s not just Bills fans.  

Its fans of every team.  

If people want to be ignorant about good players leaving let them. 

29 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Oh yah? He would get the MVP for knocking down a floater? Brady would ignore his boy Amendola who had two touchdowns and a clutch 21 yard catch on 3 and 18?

all the hopes and dreams of fans were shattered on his leap and bat-away.

39 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I have no hatred for Stephon (except that he is a patriot....but I dont hate Gilly either)

But lets be real here

- Gilmore was not playing well for the patriots earlier in the year.....it was talked about quite a bit.

- Gilmore was totally playing not to get hurt in that last year in Buffalo

- Gilmore was asking for a HUGE contract......and the bills are rebiulding and Gilmore's production was not matching his pay

And then last but not least.....Tre White.....who is a BETTER cover corner for a much smaller salary.....in the amount of money it would have cost for Gilmore we biult a all pro secondary.....I will take that.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

it was a mix of a good play and a short throw.  better throw (that's asking a lot out of Bortles) and that's a TD and everyone is saying how much of a bum Gilmore is.  when he threw it i was like yes he's got him but alas the Pats are in the super bowl yet again

Gilmore is Good, but Bortles made him look great on that play. 

That said I’m not sure why anyone is worried about what the Bills did with the secondary. They let a guy go that probably wouldn’t be a good value player in this type of defense. He’s not 5 year $65 million player 

4 hours ago, BigDingus said:

"The Jaguars were facing fourth-and-15 with 1:53 to play, starting from the New England 43. Blake Bortles threw for Dede Westbrook deep down the right sideline, and Gilmore made a tremendous play, leaping, stretching out and knocking the ball away.

He's just one more guy I wish we kept, as having him & White on opposite sides would've been fantastic, but I understand why we didn't. We weren't in the best cap situation, and he wasn't exactly dying to stay here.

After watching Gilmore play for the Bills for 4 years, I cannot remember any game clinching, big plays from the big ego that defined Gilmore better than his play.  Glad he is gone.

He was so close to giving up a TD. Risky play. 

3 minutes ago, mabden said:

After watching Gilmore play for the Bills for 4 years, I cannot remember any game clinching, big plays from the big ego that defined Gilmore better than his play.  Glad he is gone.

He made 1 or 2.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It was actually tipped by the receiver who was reaching over right before it passed through his arms. He didn't drop it.

Actually, that's not what happened. He had excellent coverage on the play and Bortles underthrew it pretty badly. It's hard to defend passes like that, as I'm sure you know. The receiver made a heads-up play.

I missed that.  Either way, perfect positioning by him on that route.  

44 minutes ago, mabden said:

Can you remember any plays in which the game came down to him making a play or not?

Because that would be a prerequisite for him making a game-clinching big play

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're clearly sitting in your Bills shrine crying like a baby when anyone good gets away.

And if you said that Gilmore is inconsistent and a poor tackler and is not worth what he got ... you're wrong and making a dumb point. I didn't say he's great. But yeah, he's very good. Worth his contract.

Ignorant. I have disliked 3 players who left this team: Gilmore, Dareus and Sammy and the root cause of that has nothing to do with them leaving for bigger money. They are solid players with worlds of potential that they are not living up to but they all had awful attitudes and I'm glad they're gone.  

You mean I'm not making a point that lines up with what you want to argue. It's ok, you can beat beating your one drum. All you had to do was watch Gilmore pretty much any game in the past 2 years to see him avoiding contact on the boundary and waiting for someone else to make a tackle. If you can't see that, I suspect your rose-colored glasses need to be adjusted. 

Feel free to re-watch this gem:

Edited by ndirish1978

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's not being real, John. It's being partial. He wasn't asking for a contract that was out of line. If there's one thing the Pats don't do, they don't overpay big FAs from other teams. They paid him a big salary. Because he had shown he was worth it. And now he's living up to that contract.

And yeah, he had a bad beginning of the year in N.E. Again, he wasn't fitting in, hadn't absorbed the system. But since about halfway through the year he's figured things out and is playing extremely well, very much playing up to the contract. 

Yeah, Tre might be better. But nobody else on our roster is. If we'd been able to keep Gilmore and pair Tre with him it would have been a terrific CB duo. We probably would have if Whaley hadn't left us in such crappy cap shape.

I think EJ Gaines has played every bit as well as Gilmore did while he was here.......

Once again....its not that Gilmore didnt deserve his contract its the fact that we were able to rebiuld our entire secondary with what would have COST his contract.   That is just smart team management.  

9 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ignorant. I have disliked 3 players who left this team: Gilmore, Dareus and Sammy and the root cause of that has nothing to do with them leaving for bigger money. They are solid players with worlds of potential that they are not living up to but they all had awful attitudes and I'm glad they're gone.  

You mean I'm not making a point that lines up with what you want to argue. It's ok, you can beat beating your one drum. All you had to do was watch Gilmore pretty much any game in the past 2 years to see him avoiding contact on the boundary and waiting for someone else to make a tackle. If you can't see that, I suspect your rose-colored glasses need to be adjusted. 

Feel free to re-watch this gem:

Wow, dude. You've now found TWO plays where he got beat during his CAREER! Boy, you're killing me here. Obviously no other good CBs have ever been beaten like this two plays during their career. How will I ever come back against this masterpiece of logic?

Boy, thanks for pointing out how I wasn't providing facts and then coming up with two whole plays in the last two years where he was bad. You're really inundating me with facts over here.

Anyway, back to the point. That's twice I challenged you to come up with other bad Gilmore plays for the Jags game. Your silence has become deafening. None, hunh? Makes your argument show as pretty stupid. it's obvious what happened. Gilmore had an excellent game. But prove me wrong ... third time for me to ask ... where's your list of all the bad plays he made during that game? 

14 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He's a good cornerback.

Has anyone noticed in recent history that the Bills (and their fans) have turned on nearly every single player whom they picked high and/or gave a big contract to?  The level of buyer's remorse at OBD is incredible.

Yea it is a rather unfortunate trend... It's kind of like the back up QB being the most popular guy on the roster when you have a bad team. That's just what has happened over the course of time... 

Then you add in bitterness and people talking about blue collar bull ****... It's just a bad environment for anybody talented. Even Shady gets **** at times on here. 

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s not just Bills fans.  

Its fans of every team.  

If people want to be ignorant about good players leaving let them. 

The issue is that this teams fanbase isn't just ignorant about good players after they leave. 

They willingly do it They have a problem with every talented guy on the roster, constantly. They ran Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins out of town. They are already on to Cordy. Some people are already talking about Shady.

They constantly compare what football players make to what average people make, when it is just a dumb thing to even consider. Anyone making good money it seems they immediately turn against. It's like they think you get an extra win or two added on to the season total by being at the cap floor or something.

This obsession with people making too much is annoying among bills fans. Quit being jealous. If anyone can actually point out someone we didn't sign because the cap was in the way, I'd love to hear it. But the cap can be manipulated, it's a bunch of bull ****. But I'm not surprised that people who would have the wool pulled over their eyes by some weird bald dude whispering trust the process in their ears can't understand this. 

8 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

I think EJ Gaines has played every bit as well as Gilmore did while he was here.......

Once again....its not that Gilmore didnt deserve his contract its the fact that we were able to rebiuld our entire secondary with what would have COST his contract.   That is just smart team management.  

And they will see your smart team management with a superbowl... It has not proven to be smart team management yet... at all. 

9 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

John, you say, "Once again ... it's not that Gilmore didn't deserve his contract ..." But here's what you actually said before:

12 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

But lets be real here

- Gilmore was asking for a HUGE contract......and the bills are rebiulding and Gilmore's production was not matching his pay

How is this not saying he didn't deserve his contract, John? Looks to me like you said exactly the opposite. And it didn't make sense. Now you're backing off, and that's fine, but it should be pretty clear why I felt I had to point out that Gilmore shows every sign of living up to every contract he's signed. And that if there's one  thing the Pats are known for, it's pinching pennies and not overpaying for FAs. His production was matching his pay but the Bills were between a rock and a hard place in terms of the cap.

Gilmore was on an island when he was here. Bad safeties and they schemed him man-to-man on their best. Gaines is in a much easier position and has better safeties backing him up. He's not as good. I like Gaines and am happy he's here, but Gilmore's better. Where are all the media folks and stats showing Gaines to be as good?

And once again, I'm not arguing whether they spent money well or whether our secondary is better. I'd agree. The safeties are almost infinitely better than our recent guys there. I'm saying if Whaley hadn't screwed us with a bad cap situation we could have kept Gilmore and had him opposite Tre and been a good deal better. 

The Pats film review column has Belichick even walking up to him and giving him a big smile a few weeks ago.

https://nesn.com/2017/12/patriots-bills-film-review-stephon-gilmore-is-really-good-edition/

In any case, when you look at people writing up the Bills draft needs, there's often CB on the list. Exactly.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-watch/

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/21/2018-nfl-draft-buffalo-bills-top-5-draft-needs/

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/11/what_are_the_buffalo_bills_biggest_needs_heading_into_2018.html

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Mock-Draft-Watch-10/a571a495-8d47-4fde-9703-03715b32c4ce

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/27/15447882/buffalo-bills-top-2017-nfl-draft-needs-cornerback-safety-receiver-tackle-linebacker

Edited by Thurman#1