I hope last weekend finally kills the "you need a Franchise QB to be a contender" nonsense

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hold on now.......to put that call into perspective........Keenum was AWFUL with the Rams (9 TD 11 INT) despite having a superstar RB in Todd Gurley in the backfield.   His WR corps was not good at all.   Sound like a familiar situation?

Because Tyrod was in a very similar situation this year as Keenum was with the Rams.

But unlike Keenum with the Rams......TT's athleticism allowed him to compete and win games.    

Passing game weapons matter even more for non-franchise guys like Keenum and Tyrod.

Thielen and Diggs are as good of a 1-2 punch at WR as there is in the NFL.  And the Vikings GREAT defense allowed Keenum to play in a balanced offense.   He's not a gunslinger you want trying to carry you with the passing game.  

Now *maybe* Dropzone Jones and Jordan Matthews would have been playmakers for him in Dennison's offense....... but I HIGHLY doubt that.

Keenum probably struggles and gets battered like he did in LA and the Bills are drafting much higher and replacing him with a QB anyway.

Except I actually watched those Rams games. Every single one. His stats were worse than the tape. It was the same once Goff took over. 

This is just a repeat of the mistake you have consistently made Badol. You think Tyrod is better than he is. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Except I actually watched those Rams games. Every single one. His stats were worse than the tape. It was the same once Goff took over. 

Clearly his stats weren't reflective of his ability.......9 TD 11 interceptions in this era of inflated TD/INT ratios is GHASTLY.   Horrific.  That's TJ Yates bad.

But what it does reflect is his floor.    

Most of his career has been played at floor level.

And 2017 was set up to be a "floor" year for any QB in Buffalo.    

On 1/16/2018 at 11:10 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

For months, we've heard...

"You can't win with Tyrod!" 

"Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league!"

"The Bills could never be a serious contender with Tyrod!"

But then we made the playoffs for the first time this millennium. And after watching warranted frequent punchline Blake Bortles over the weekend be fortunate enough to be on a team talented enough to beat an all-time great like Ben Roethlisberger, who threw for more than double the yards and 5 times the TDs as Bortles, I really think that stuff can end now. 

If even Blake Bortles is capable of making an AFC Championship and Tyrod made the playoffs when countless people didn't even give him a shot at being a QB leading a team to the playoffs, then perhaps the world won't end if McDermott and Beane decide to keep Taylor for one more year to make a playoff run. :flirt:

PS: This thread is largely tongue in cheek.

Some are about to absolutely flip out. Some will "get it." Truth be told, we're drafting a QB in the 1st, as we should. Taylor might be traded as part of a package to move up. but I think he's more likely a Bill than not. 

But Taylor really is better than Bortles, the King of Garbage Time. 0:) 

oh boy....

On 1/16/2018 at 1:18 AM, Thurman#1 said:

What a load of horse crap.

Again and again you hear the same arguments against you. Because they make sense.

And yet when it comes time for you to try to paraphrase, you're off in fantasyland making up straw men. Again and again.

Virtually nobody said, "You can't win with Tyrod." It was obvious you could. The last three years we've won games. Not a ton but some. A very slight majority of the games he's started. Of course you can win with Tyrod. There were a few trolls who said, "Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league.!" Nobody else. Every non-troll here understands that he's one of the top 32 QBs in the league. No non-trolls on here would have the faintest problem finding twenty-five backup QBs that anyone would know Tyrod is a great deal better than. 

As usual it's better to make up stupid arguments to put in people's mouths, as they're easy to counter than to counter the actual good arguments about Tyrod and franchise QBs. Such as, "Having a franchise QB gives you a chance to be competitive for championships for a decade or more." Such as, "Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, as can nearly any QB with a little luck, but Tyrod doesn't get you a championship unless you have a surrounding team virtually without weaknesses, a defense comparable with defenses like the Ravens defense the year they won with or the Bears the year they won with Dilfer or the Bears the year they won with McMahon, or Tampa Bay's championship.

And in any case, Bortles is in the same neighborhood as Taylor. Tyrod may be better by a whisker. But Bortles is in his fourth year and still improving at a pretty good rate. Whereas going on his eighth year, we've known Tyrod's ceiling for a while now. Not so with Bortles. Bortles' fourth year has been significantly better, for instance, than Eli Manning's had played in any of his first four years. Nor has Bortles himself made a Super Bowl yet, much less made his team consistent for championships over a long period of time.

Bortles might be at his ceiling now. Or he might get a lot better next year. But we know Tyrod won't.

You must not read most of the posts. There are far more antiTT posts than just a few trolls. They had eat crow after week 17 but came back with vengeance after the bad game against Jax.  TT made bad throws in that game but had just as many drops and poor play calls as bad throws.

Doesnt matter. They will or will not bring him back and they will draft another QB. We will know in a few weeks.  

Jags being a "contender" is a misnomer. They can't win it all with Bortles. I hope they prove me wrong but they won't. They got a great D, their years of tanking along with a stable front office allowed them to draft players of a certain mold successfully (except QB). Now they are arguably a QB away from being a title contender. 

Funny to see people observe that one weekend's worth of playoff games somehow eliminates what we've known for several seasons. That is, having a top QB is imperative to perennial success in this league and barring that, strong skill players and a very good or better defense is necessary.

Minnesota, Jacksonville, and Philadelphia boast the latter. New England the former. 

It doesn't remove the fact Buffalo needs upgrades at their skill positions and the front 7 on defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I can live without having the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady on my team.

I just want a top 12 QB for 4-5 years in a row.

Can I have that PLEASE.

by which metric?

according to some metrics out there, we did have a top 12 qb the last three years.

:hahahahahaahahahaaahahaaaa:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

by which metric?

according to some metrics out there, we did have a top 12 qb the last three years.

:hahahahahaahahahaaahahaaaa:

Nice!

I would prefer a "metric" one does not have to contort oneself to agree with.

Real World Scenario:

Down 4 points.  Bills got the ball on their own 25 yard line.

1 timeout, 2 minutes left.

I personally have a feeling that the Bills have a greater than 10% chance of winning the game.

17 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

We didn't know that Dennison was going to be useless in Tyrod's and Peterman's development before the season started and so I actually did expect Taylor to further develop.

"Why didn't McCoy GREATLY IMPROVE then?" Because we now know that the run game coordinator/line coach wasn't an upgrade either as both the run game and line regressed. The run game stats besides rushing TDs did get somewhat better later on in the season but I attribute that more to McCoy's ability to make defenders miss over the blocking of the line. 

There was a real reason as to why Dennison was fired and I'm hoping that Castillio follows him out the door. 

I was a big fan of Tyrod Taylor until this past year when I saw what Taylor looked like in some games. Most particularly in that Saints game in Buffalo. The Bills drive chart went FG-PUNT-PUNT-PUNT-INTERCEPTION-PUNT-PUNT-DOWNS-TD that one and only TD with 1:10 left in the game was by Nathan Peterman. Peterman stats in the same game against that Saints defense in the fourth quarter. 7 of 10 for 79 yards, 1 TD. A 126.7 rate.  Kelvin Benjamin actually saw the ball a few times.

Week 2 against Carolina, Taylor went 17 of 25 for 125 yards-0-0. The entire game. 

Week 10 against the Saints, Taylor went 9 of 18 for 56 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT with a rate of 33.6 in 3/4 of that game. This performance got him benched.

Week 13 against New England, Taylor went 15 of 34 for 115 yards-0-1 INT. a rate of 35.6 The entire game. 

Wildcard game at Jacksonville, Taylor went 18 of 40 for 148 yards-0-2 INTs. a rate of 44.2

It's not a narrative in my mind, its a fact! 

No,  I'm right.......you are wrong........ it's a narrative.

Tyrod has proven plenty competent as an NFL starting QB.

He's produced, he's won without the help of good defenses and he's the NFL's all time leader in lowest int %.

He's competent.

You want to talk stats?.......was Case Keenum incompetent when he put up 9 TD's and 11 interceptions and got benched with the Rams last year?

Keenum's floor is very low........he needs a lot of help to accentuate his skills.......he got that in Minnesota with the top WR tandem and #1 defense in the NFL......... to keep him from over-exposure as a passer(see that lollipop interception to Marcus Williams last week to see how a Case Keenum shootout would look).

Tyrod needs playmakers in the WR corps to excel as a passer as well...........he's a catalyst when blended with playmakers and that's how his offenses lead the NFL in big plays in 2015 and 2016.........but his floor is higher than Keenum because he can extend plays or make plays with his feet when protection breaks down.    

That allowed him to nurse this Bills team.......with arguably the least talented defense in the NFL and definitely the worst WR corps.......to a 9-7 finish.

I get that fans feel like they are entitled to see their QB "Greatly Improve" regardless of the team's circumstance but wanting that does not mean it's actually reasonable to expect.

This season would have been a "floor" season for any NFL QB in Buffalo.    

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No,  I'm right.......you are wrong........ it's a narrative.

Tyrod has proven plenty competent as an NFL starting QB.

He's produced, he's won without the help of good defenses and he's the NFL's all time leader in lowest int %.

He's competent.

You want to talk stats?.......was Case Keenum incompetent when he put up 9 TD's and 11 interceptions and got benched with the Rams last year?

Keenum's floor is very low........he needs a lot of help to accentuate his skills.......he got that in Minnesota with the top WR tandem and #1 defense in the NFL......... to keep him from over-exposure as a passer(see that lollipop interception to Marcus Williams last week to see how a Case Keenum shootout would look).

Tyrod needs playmakers in the WR corps to excel as a passer as well...........he's a catalyst when blended with playmakers and that's how his offenses lead the NFL in big plays in 2015 and 2016.........but his floor is higher than Keenum because he can extend plays or make plays with his feet when protection breaks down.    

That allowed him to nurse this Bills team.......with arguably the least talented defense in the NFL and definitely the worst WR corps.......to a 9-7 finish.

I get that fans feel like they are entitled to see their QB "Greatly Improve" regardless of the team's circumstance but wanting that does not mean it's actually reasonable to expect.

This season would have been a "floor" season for any NFL QB in Buffalo.    

I wouldn't be upset should the Bills keep Tyrod Taylor and attempt to further develop him under Brian Deball. All the while drafting a top rookie QB to groom as his replacement or even thinking that Peterman will eventually develop into that role. 

I'm just so tired of seeing my teams QB listed as one of the worst in the league while the team finishing the season second or near worst in the division year after year for 22 years. Yeah, its been 1995 since this team won the AFC EAST. That's 11 head coaches and countless/endless bad QBs.  

While I've been a big fan of Tyrod Taylor since he has been in Buffalo up until this season I'm really hoping the Bills move on to a better bridge QB and/or one of the top rookies.

Buffalo Bills fans deserve to have a top five QB who can compete for the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. In fact I was told this time last year that wanting to replace Tyrod with Keenum and cap space was willfully downgrading the Quarterback position.....

There are some "anybody but Tyrod" folks. And they do over exaggerate his flaws. There are also too many way too comfortable with what we have based on the evidence what we have has put on tape. 

Keenum would have sucked under Dennison.

#OCsMATTER!  ?

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't that what?

The Bills don't really have WRs, or didn't in 2017.

What were Keenum's first 5 years in the NFL like?

#OCsMATTER. :flirt:

Whatever helps with your post Taylor depression. 

Disparaging Keenum and Bortles makes you feel better, run with it.  

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You don’t that.      He isn’t scared of wideouts like Taylor is.  

PS: what were Taylor's stats like passing to QBs when Woods and Watkins were on the field together?

#youreatrollordumb 0:)

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Whatever helps with your post Taylor depression. 

Disparaging Keenum and Bortles makes you feel better, run with it.  

I have no depression. My life doesn't revolve around disparaging others on an Internet message board as yours apparently does.

About to jump in the water for an evening surf session. Don't think about much other than the beauty of the ocean and the sunset at that point. Thanks for your concern, though, brah! :flirt: 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

PS: what were Taylor's stats like passing to QBs when Woods and Watkins were on the field together?

#youreatrollordumb 0:)

2015 — 28th ranked passing offense 

2016 — 30th ranked passing offense 

2017 — 31st ranked passing offense 

2018 — 2018 excuses from Transplantbillsfan ??? 

Go shred another wave and come back with more excuses.    

#youredumbtrymath

9 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Nice!

I would prefer a "metric" one does not have to contort oneself to agree with.

Real World Scenario:

Down 4 points.  Bills got the ball on their own 25 yard line.

1 timeout, 2 minutes left.

I personally have a feeling that the Bills have a greater than 10% chance of winning the game.

Holy crap those are the weirdest most narrow parameters I’ve ever friggin seen as a “metric”!!!

I bet this has happened maybe once or twice with Buffalo from 2015-2016 with a one score game and enough realistic time under 2 minutes to drive down the field.

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

2015 — 28th ranked passing offense 

2016 — 30th ranked passing offense 

2017 — 31st ranked passing offense 

2018 — 2018 excuses from Transplantbillsfan ??? 

Go shred another wave and come back with more excuses.    

#youredumbtrymath

:lol:

’sallright. I love you Teddy KGB

I mean...

Airitoutfitzy 

I mean...

Maurybalstein

I mean...

RyanLBills

Gawd I just can’t keep track of who you are :doh:

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Keenum would have sucked under Dennison.

#OCsMATTER!  ?

I agree OCs matter. But if you swapped Tyrod and Keenum this year Tyrod would have played a little better than he did here but not as well as Keenum has and Keenum would have played a little worse than he did there but not as badly as Tyrod has. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree OCs matter. But if you swapped Tyrod and Keenum this year Tyrod would have played a little better than he did here but not as well as Keenum has and Keenum would have played a little worse than he did there but not as badly as Tyrod has. 

I agree and conversely Pat Shurmur as OC things might have been very different too. 

However, some fans are blinded by TT's 9-7 record while not realizing that even with a slightly better QB at the very least it would have been 10-6 with a win over Carolina and more than likely a win over Cincy to make it 11-5. Needless to say, they also beat the Jags in that playoff game IMO.

Almost all the scores over the season are different because now teams are forced to defend against the pass more and this opens up the run game. The Buffalo defense might not go into the toilet for a three-game stretch against the Jets, Saints, and Chargers because the QB is so bad the defense can't get off the field all game. That Saints game ToP 41:23 vs 18:37. The Chargers game 36:05 vs 23:55, the Jets game 33:30 vs 26:30.

Run first teams are supposed to be able to control the clock by running the ball and dictate to the opposing defense. The 2017 leaders in time of possession are Philly, Minn, Carolina, Pitt, Denver, Jacksonville, Arizona, Baltimore, New England, NO.  Care to know where Buffalo ended in ToP being one of those run-first teams?  30th!

Having a turtle at QB who goes into his shell during some games completely ruins the offense as no team can win being one dimensional no matter how good that RB or running game is... Shady is a HoF RB and the Bills are wasting his talent to a degree by not having a better line, QB, and OC. JMO

Edited by Nihilarian

6 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Holy crap those are the weirdest most narrow parameters I’ve ever friggin seen as a “metric”!!!

I bet this has happened maybe once or twice with Buffalo from 2015-2016 with a one score game and enough realistic time under 2 minutes to drive down the field.

:lol:

’sallright. I love you Teddy KGB

I mean...

Airitoutfitzy 

I mean...

Maurybalstein

I mean...

RyanLBills

Gawd I just can’t keep track of who you are :doh:

What does all this mean ?     More bbmb call outs ?    

#youmad #taylorsucks #tranniemeltdown

#tastywavesbrah #taylortoarizona 

#yardsandfranchiseqbsarebadnow??‍♂️??‍♂️☠️??‍♂️

Edited by Teddy KGB

24 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

What does all this mean ?     More bbmb call outs ?    

#youmad #taylorsucks #tranniemeltdown

#tastywavesbrah #taylortoarizona 

#yardsandfranchiseqbsarebadnow??‍♂️??‍♂️☠️??‍♂️

I think we should talk more about his pass yd rankings and how that’s the only thing that matters and how it trumps everyone else’s solid arguments talking about a myriad of other factors in the evaluation of Taylor. 

I think it’s a great strategy, really in depth, and won’t make you look really narrow minded and stupid or idiotic at all.... so let’s keep that up. It really makes a lot of sense. 

What were his yardage rankings again? Could you tell me? That’s really all I care about in this argument. 

(No condescending sarcasm here at all. I promise) 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think we should talk more about his pass yd rankings and how that’s the only thing that matters and how it trumps everyone else’s solid arguments talking about a myriad of other factors in the evaluation of Taylor. 

I think it’s a great strategy, really in depth, and won’t make you look really narrow minded and stupid or idiotic at all.... so let’s keep that up. It really makes a lot of sense. 

What were his yardage rankings again? Could you tell me? That’s really all I care about in this argument. 

(No condescending sarcasm here at all. I promise) 

You’re right, he’s really really good.  

We don’t need a QB anymore, just a defense that can hold playoff teams to 2 points. 

Taylor and Daboll = Dream Team 

Edited by Teddy KGB

12 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

You’re right, he’s really really good.  

We don’t need a QB anymore, just a defense that can hold playoff teams to 2 points. 

Taylor and Daboll = Dream Team 

Yes. Becuz this is what anyone debating your idiocy is basically saying.... I’m glad we’re on the same page. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

12 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Yes. Becuz this is what anyone debating your idiocy is basically saying.... I’m glad we’re on the same page. 

All the Taylor groupies can meltdown this week.    

Let it all out before the draft.     No one who watches him play wants to hear the nonsense/excuses anymore. 

Farewell “stank nasty” 

On 1/16/2018 at 11:10 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

For months, we've heard...

"You can't win with Tyrod!" 

"Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league!"

"The Bills could never be a serious contender with Tyrod!"

Because it is the truth.  

How well did he play when the playoff game progressed?

Poorly. Taylor did not win himself. The defense did by keeping teams to under 16 points and even then 2 of those games it wasn’t good enough because the offense failed to score.  

Pleas let let it go. 

18 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Let it all out before the draft.     No one who watches him play wants to hear the nonsense/excuses anymore. 

Farewell “stank nasty” 

Bro, I wanted a qb at #10 last year and was as fairly annoyed when it didn’t happen.  I’ve been ready to move on for a long time. That doesn’t change the fact you talk like a fool. 

You’re the worst type of poster. You live in extremes. It’s just the worst. I hope it’s an act. Otherwise I just feel sorry for you. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Because it is the truth.  

How well did he play when the playoff game progressed?

Poorly. Taylor did not win himself. The defense did by keeping teams to under 16 points and even then 2 of those games it wasn’t good enough because the offense failed to score.  

Pleas let let it go. 

The guy has won more than he’s lost over 3 years and now been to the playoffs. Therefore anyone saying you can’t win with Tyrod just looks dumb.

guess it depends on what “win” you are talking about. A title? No. I don’t believe that’s attainable with him obviously. Never have. But you’ll be able to win games with him. That’s been proven even without the presence of a consistent defense over the last 3 years. I get people like you apparently don’t see or hear things like that even though they are 100% true. But it’s there and it happened. 

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Bro, I wanted a qb at #10 last year and was as fairly annoyed when it didn’t happen.  I’ve been ready to move on for a long time. That doesn’t change the fact you talk like a fool. 

You’re the worst type of poster. You live in extremes. It’s just the worst. I hope it’s an act. Otherwise I just feel sorry for you. 

The guy has won more than he’s lost over 3 years and now been to the playoffs. Therefore anyone saying you can’t win with Tyrod just looks dumb.

guess it depends on what “win” you are talking about. A title? No. I don’t believe that’s attainable with him obviously. Never have. But you’ll be able to win games with him. That’s been proven even without the presence of a consistent defense over the last 3 years. I get people like you apparently don’t see or hear things like that even though they are 100% true. But it’s there and it happened. 

Did you read his post? 

TT is not a guy who can be a serious contender.   

Do we need to list QB’s with a winning record that never amounted to anything?

Osweilller in Denver before he got benched by Manning (a fraction of himself) had more wins than losses.  

I could even go as low and say Tim Tebow has more wins than losses.

You need to know when to cut bait. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Did you read his post? 

TT is not a guy who can be a serious contender.   

Do we need to list QB’s with a winning record that never amounted to anything?

Osweilller in Denver before he got benched by Manning (a fraction of himself) had more wins than losses.  

I could even go as low and say Tim Tebow has more wins than losses.

You need to know when to cut bait. 

Right. Let’s use the Broncos title team as an example. Literally one of the best defenses of the last 10-15 years. Not to mention putting 2 qb’s that played half a season of work against 3 full years is really flawed and just silly. I wouldn’t expect anything different though becuz you always twist things in the name of being right..... what a bad comparison. Seriously. 

You can nit pick up exceptions all you want but as a general rule qb’s that win more than they lose over a span(NOT A HALF SEASON WITH AN ALL WORLD DEFENSE) aren’t bad qb’s. 

And i I have no problems cutting bait. Let’s just talk with some sense about the guy. And please stop using bad comparisons to prove points. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

8 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Osweiller has won more than he lost. Then he was “let go”.  

He he wasn’t good enough.    

The defense helped him.   It was not the other way around.  

Right on man,

It all comes down to Tyrod  is just not good enough. Teams move on from not good enough, when in a bad relationship people move on just like teams wanting better.

Buffalo deserves better at the most important position for once in the last decade. Time to move to bigger and better. Tyrod does NOT deserve no 18 Mill a year for the not good enough play.

If these 3 posters are so hell bent on keeping him around because he is the best we have had (that's not saying much at all)then fix his contract to a backup QB contract. We all know he will not stay for that kind of pay just like the Fitz said no way. Goodbye Tyrod don't let the door hit you on the way out.

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Farewell “stank nasty” 

Just wanted to chime in man. Skank trys but proves he is a hard line Tyrod boy over and over with his over the top excuses while name calling anyone that does not agree. Same old COT tactics.

Skank says he wants better at QB, in fact the entire COT now admits this team needs to upgrade but some continue to make excuses to want him to stay here. Many do not want to hear it anymore.

It is like hearing a family member getting punched by his husband every weekend but when you go talk to said person they say there is no problem he never hits her. Everything is good things will get better when we all know it is not. Time to move on but he is the best husband when he wants to be, then boom 3 points 56 yards and she is in the hospital. But, but he pays my Bills, he is good to the children.  You tell her again she need to get out of this relationship, but, but but.... Time to kick some and make it happen. SMH at how some in the COT just refuses to see it is time, regardless of being alone it is time for a fresh start. Kick to the curb. JMO

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

If you have a very good defense or a defense on a hot streak with lots of opportune turnovers, you can win games with a mediocre qb who avoids turnovers.  I think most will grant that TT can win those kind of games.  His limitations are obvious to anyone not blinded by irrational bias (and/or a member of the national media.)  We'll be getting a new qb in 2018 and thankfully this prolonged, pointless discussion will go the way of EJ and Orton and a dozen other failed qbs.