I hope last weekend finally kills the "you need a Franchise QB to be a contender" nonsense

For months, we've heard...

"You can't win with Tyrod!" 

"Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league!"

"The Bills could never be a serious contender with Tyrod!"

But then we made the playoffs for the first time this millennium. And after watching warranted frequent punchline Blake Bortles over the weekend be fortunate enough to be on a team talented enough to beat an all-time great like Ben Roethlisberger, who threw for more than double the yards and 5 times the TDs as Bortles, I really think that stuff can end now. 

If even Blake Bortles is capable of making an AFC Championship and Tyrod made the playoffs when countless people didn't even give him a shot at being a QB leading a team to the playoffs, then perhaps the world won't end if McDermott and Beane decide to keep Taylor for one more year to make a playoff run. :flirt:

PS: This thread is largely tongue in cheek.

Some are about to absolutely flip out. Some will "get it." Truth be told, we're drafting a QB in the 1st, as we should. Taylor might be traded as part of a package to move up. but I think he's more likely a Bill than not. 

But Taylor really is better than Bortles, the King of Garbage Time. 0:) 

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

But then we made the playoffs for the first time this millennium. And after watching warranted frequent punchline Blake Bortles over the weekend be fortunate enough to be on a team talented enough to beat an all-time great like Ben Roethlisberger, who threw for more than double the yards and 5 times the TDs as Bortles, I really think that stuff can end now. 

If even Blake Bortles is capable of making an AFC Championship and Tyrod made the playoffs when countless people didn't even give him a shot at being a QB leading a team to the playoffs, then perhaps the world won't end if McDermott and Beane decide to keep Taylor for one more year to make a playoff run. :flirt:

Some are about to absolutely flip out. Some will "get it." Truth be told, we're drafting a QB in the 1st, as we should. Taylor might be traded as part of a package to move up. but I think he's more likely a Bill than not. 

I generally agree with you about the bold. 

However, Jacksonville specifically, and watching the last 2 weeks, the Bills lost because the offense, and passing game in particular left plays out on the field.

Pittsburgh lost because they capitalized the Jags capitalized on Pittsburgh’s weakness on D.

Buffalo’s offense is firmly to blame for that loss. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

the song “Every Breath You Take” is about Transplants feelings about Taylor.

Oh can’t you see

that you belong to me

how my poor heart aches

every step you take

every vow you break.... now that song is in my head dammit!

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a load of horse crap.

Again and again you hear the same arguments against you. Because they make sense.

And yet when it comes time for you to try to paraphrase, you're off in fantasyland making up straw men. Again and again.

Virtually nobody said, "You can't win with Tyrod." It was obvious you could. The last three years we've won games. Not a ton but some. A very slight majority of the games he's started. Of course you can win with Tyrod. There were a few trolls who said, "Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league.!" Nobody else. Every non-troll here understands that he's one of the top 32 QBs in the league. No non-trolls on here would have the faintest problem finding twenty-five backup QBs that anyone would know Tyrod is a great deal better than. 

As usual it's better to make up stupid arguments to put in people's mouths, as they're easy to counter than to counter the actual good arguments about Tyrod and franchise QBs. Such as, "Having a franchise QB gives you a chance to be competitive for championships for a decade or more." Such as, "Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, as can nearly any QB with a little luck, but Tyrod doesn't get you a championship unless you have a surrounding team virtually without weaknesses, a defense comparable with defenses like the Ravens defense the year they won with or the Bears the year they won with Dilfer or the Bears the year they won with McMahon, or Tampa Bay's championship.

And in any case, Bortles is in the same neighborhood as Taylor. Tyrod may be better by a whisker. But Bortles is in his fourth year and still improving at a pretty good rate. Whereas going on his eighth year, we've known Tyrod's ceiling for a while now. Not so with Bortles. Bortles' fourth year has been significantly better, for instance, than Eli Manning's had played in any of his first four years. Nor has Bortles himself made a Super Bowl yet, much less made his team consistent for championships over a long period of time.

Bortles might be at his ceiling now. Or he might get a lot better next year. But we know Tyrod won't.

I took the bait. Then I jumped off the hook. At this point the season has played out. I don't want to butt heads with people over Tyrod. I've given my opinion and my prediction on his future and now its just gonna sound like a broken record. 

Part of me wants you to understand that it doesn't look good for Taylor. Part of me admires you defending a Buffalo Bill when people trash him. 

Tyrod let me down in Jacksonville. All he had to do was drive down the field for two touchdowns and I'd be on here praising Tyrod like I was the founder of the COT. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

What a load of horse crap.

Again and again you hear the same arguments against you. Because they make sense.

And yet when it comes time for you to try to paraphrase, you're off in fantasyland making up straw men. Again and again.

Virtually nobody said, "You can't win with Tyrod." It was obvious you could. The last three years we've won games. Not a ton but some. A very slight majority of the games he's started. Of course you can win with Tyrod. There were a few trolls who said, "Tyrod is one of the worst QBs in the league.!" Nobody else. Every non-troll here understands that he's one of the top 32 QBs in the league. No non-trolls on here would have the faintest problem finding twenty-five backup QBs that anyone would know Tyrod is a great deal better than. 

As usual it's better to make up stupid arguments to put in people's mouths, as they're easy to counter than to counter the actual good arguments about Tyrod and franchise QBs. Such as, "Having a franchise QB gives you a chance to be competitive for championships for a decade or more." Such as, "Tyrod can get you to the playoffs, as can nearly any QB with a little luck, but Tyrod doesn't get you a championship unless you have a surrounding team virtually without weaknesses, a defense comparable with defenses like the Ravens defense the year they won with or the Bears the year they won with Dilfer or the Bears the year they won with McMahon, or Tampa Bay's championship.

And in any case, Bortles is in the same neighborhood as Taylor. Tyrod may be better by a whisker. But Bortles is in his fourth year and still improving at a pretty good rate. Whereas going on his eighth year, we've known Tyrod's ceiling for a while now. Not so with Bortles. Bortles' fourth year has been significantly better, for instance, than Eli Manning's had played in any of his first four years. Nor has Bortles himself made a Super Bowl yet, much less made his team consistent for championships over a long period of time.

Bortles might be at his ceiling now. Or he might get a lot better next year. But we know Tyrod won't.

Hope this was worth your time for a post that was a tongue in cheek post taking a little light-hearted jab at a previously-banned-poster-under-a-new-name's thread :thumbsup: 

I had fun with mine. The little I read of your post, you sounded upset. Why you mad, bro?

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Hope this was worth your time for a post that was a tongue in cheek post taking a little light-hearted jab at a previously-banned-poster-under-a-new-name's thread :thumbsup: 

I had fun with mine. The little I read of your post, you sounded upset. Why you mad, bro?

The post was a load of horse crap, so I called it a load of horse crap.

And yours wasn't tongue in cheek. It was "largely tongue in cheek." Your own words. And thing is, tongue in cheek or not, it sounded exactly like your serious posts. Take off the last sentence or two where you tried to back off what you said, and it could've come from nearly any post you've written over the last few years.

And yeah, it was worth my time. If it hadn't been I wouldn't have written it.

Edited by Thurman#1

While I get what this thread was started for... I can't help but chime in a bit. 

Big Ben threw for 37 of 58 for 469 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT and STILL LOST! I hear the spin doctors talking about changing the offensive scheme when clearly it was the Steeler defense that let the team down. 

Bortles OTOH had a near perfect game in which he went 14 of 26 for 214, 1 TD. Very Tyrod like numbers. Although the final score was 45-42 you could see the Jags defense which got the two turnovers were the better defense this day.

Bortles may suck but he seemed to do just enough to win against Buffalo and Pittsburgh. Now, will he have an even more perfect game against the Patriots because he will need to actually compete against Brady in a sense that he will likely need to pass the ball and throw a few TDs with no turnovers again? 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

the song “Every Breath You Take” is about Transplants feelings about Taylor.

Oh can’t you see

that you belong to me

how my poor heart aches

every step you take

I have started threads

I have stood by you

But you keep on stinking 

But I still love you

Every breathe you take

Every move you make

I need you to stay

I need you today

I have Taylor PJs that I wear watching you

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I have started threads

I have stood by you

But you keep on stinking 

But I still love you

I need you to stay

I need you today

I have Taylor PJs

I can't wait to watch you

You know I will show.

When they say you blow. 

I've said it all before.

I'll say it all some more.

Till my throat is sore. 

Till my keyboard doesn't work no more.

Oh why can't they see it's because of the OC and next year you likely will be starting. You know my fool heart breaks from every sack you take.

Edited by Lfod
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The post was a load of horse crap, so I called it a load of horse crap.

And yours wasn't tongue in cheek. It was "largely tongue in cheek." Your own words. And thing is, tongue in cheek or not, it sounded exactly like your serious posts. Take off the last sentence or two where you tried to back off what you said, and it could've come from nearly any post you've written over the last few years.

And yeah, it was worth my time. If it hadn't been I wouldn't have written it.

Glad it was worth your time! Sometimes you just need to get stuff off your chest, I get it. I hope there's some substance in there so someone can glean something from it or, at the very least, I hope you're entertaining!

Keep fighting the good fight, my man! :flirt: