Is having a franchise quality QB essential for

KingRex

I think with a QB like Alex Smith, Keenum or AJ McCarron and we beat the Jags. With any of those QB's that I just listed we don't need Andy Dalton's TD pass to make the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, swnybillsfan said:

i tend to think that you need a qb that gives you (and more importantly, his coaches and teammates) the feeling that, with the ball in his hands, you are never out of it. there is always a chance. somebody that has the drive, the will, and the ability to lead the team to victory, no matter the situation. 

i know this is all rather vague and conceptual, but this is the guy you need. just my opinion here.

I agree, when I was watching the Saints game I was thinking the same thing. I was Thinking if the Saints had Taylor at QB being down by 17 I would feel like that game is over. I came to the conclusion that it is Taylor that gives me this sense of not being able to win. When we go down by 10 or lose a lead in the 4th Qtr I always get the feeling like the game is over and it usually is with Taylor at QB.

12 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think with a QB like Alex Smith, Keenum or AJ McCarron and we beat the Jags. With any of those QB's that I just listed we don't need Andy Dalton's TD pass to make the playoffs.

.......allegedly Andy wants a 2nd for Alex who comes with a $17 mil tariff and is a UFA in 2019......offer a 3rd and see if you can sign him for one more year.......Vikes would be fools to let Keenum walk as he is the only healthy one.....they probably re-sign him, offer Teddy a deal and let Bradford walk (IF HE CAN)........good 'ol OBD should have taken that 4th flyer on McCarron out of 'Bama.....nothing flashy, but a level headed cerebral that may garner a 2nd or 3rd now........Stanton out of 'Zona is a UFA and has more game experience than McCarron...he was a 2nd out of MSU that went to the Lions and is coming off a 2 year, $6.5 mil deal with 'Zona that had $4.5 mil guaranteed, his second stint behind Palmer........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

In the divsional round of the playoffs, Keenum threw for over 300 yards on 40 attempts against a good, albeit young, defensive secondary. He won that game with poise, confidence, and determination. And the Vikings want him gone! If he did this for the Bills, they'd award him with a $325 mil contract.

My stupid point is that the Bills are so far away from these elite organizations that a franchise quarterback will not be realized or cashed in on until so many other things are in place. Are some of those things in place now? - WE DON'T KNOW YET, and that has been the problem for last 20 years.

7 hours ago, Mat68 said:

A Elite Qb no.  But in the playoffs you need a Qb who is able to make big time throws to win the game.  Bortles and Keenum yesterday as example.  They are not elite but even throughout the season they have shown the ability to at times make big time plays that the Elite Qbs make more often.  Flacco and Eli are not Elite but won Superbowls and played at a high level to do so.  You need high level Qb play to advance far in the playoffs.  The Qb may not need to be the first or second option but has to have the ability to do it when asked.  That is the Bills problem.  I think they are in line with the Steelers team when they drafted Big Ben.  Pretty good D, good Running game but really need an improvement at Qb,  The rookie can be a game manager and Buffalo can be successful. 

This.

Do you need a QB chucking 400yards? No.

Do you need a QB who can consistently make throws WHEN NEEDED? Yes.

Christ look at super bowl winning QBs in last 20 years

The only subpar winners who stand out are: 

Trent dilfer and Brad Johnson.

They had all time great defenses.

All the QBs were either elite, had an elite hot streak (flacco, Eli twice) or were game managers who MADE THROWS WHEN NEEDED.

I have never been confident Tyrod could be "that guy" to nail a 8 yard curl on 3rd and 7 when you're down in the 4th.

16 hours ago, KingRex said:

Nope.

How deep?

Making the conference championships? Nah. Winning one? Much more so. Winning a Super Bowl? Much much more so.

A team without a franchise quality QB wins a Super Bowl around 10% of the time, and that's not a model you want to follow.

9 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Bump this in three weeks when Keenum, Foles and Bortles watch Brady hoist another Lombardi.

And the Eagles aren't about Foles. They're about 10% Foles and 90% Wentz.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel like we've been debating this same topic since the drought.  The easiest way to be consistently competitive and compete for a Superbowl is to have a franchise QB.   If you don't, you better hire a great coaching staff and hit on nearly all your draft picks and free agent signings (which is incredibly difficult to do).  Even if you do it's unlikely you have sustained success without a franchise quarterback (see the 2016 and 2017 Broncos).  

• Like (+1) 1

The afc of the last 15 years is all you need to see.  4 qbs have made the super bowl in that time.  Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, and 1 lone appearance by Flacco. A lot of almost great teams have beat their heads against the glass ceiling only to fall to the AFC's big 3 in that time.

• Like (+1) 1

We've had a top 10 defense more than a few times during the drought ... I'll take a franchise QB for a change ... the dink and dunk of the past 17 years has grown extremely tiresome as well as the inability for a Bills QB to lead a 4th quarter comeback

It's all about consistency.

Think about this logically.  The more often a team makes the playoffs, the more often they win their division, the more often they get a first round bye, etc, etc. - the better odds they have at winning a Super Bowl.

If a team has a quarterback like Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger, they have exactly ONE PLAYER they need to keep under contract to be a yearly contender.  Even if the rest of the team is mediocre, they will still be fighting for a playoff spot year in, year out.  And based on the current NFL rules, quarterbacks take less hits than in the past, allowing them to play 15-20 years in many cases. 

Compare that to a team like Jacksonville or Minnesota.  Teams that are built mostly around defense.  Those teams need to keep 10-11 elite players under contract and healthy to remain contenders.  Every year, those teams will have 2-3 key pieces looking for big deals in free agency.  Before long, the salary cap starts pulling the team apart.  There is a brief window of 3-4 years (at most) before that "elite" defense becomes a "very good" defense and can't carry them to a championship anymore.  There is a reason the 1984 Chicago Bears won only one Super Bowl.  There is a reason the 2000 Baltimore Ravens won only one Super Bowl.  There is a reason people are saying the Seattle Seahawks' window has closed.

Yes, it's possible to win a Super Bowl without an elite quarterback.  But it's very rare, and those teams disappear quickly.  Also notice that when it does happen, the non-franchise quarterback in question is pretty much always playing at a franchise level.  We can argue all day about whether Case Keenum is actually a franchise QB.  But the only thing that really matters is... he's playing like one right now.

I don't need an elite HOF man at the helm, but one who has a primary interest in dropping back in to the pocket and throwing the ball more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage with some level of competence would be very nice, please and thank you...