Mike Tomlin Should Be On The Hot Seat?

BuffaloRush

I'm not a Steelers fan so I could care less - but the coaching yesterday by Mike Tomlin was absolutely atrocious.  I'm sorry but his team came out flat.  There is no way that the talent on the Steeler defense, should surrender 45 points to Jacksonville.  People want to complain about Todd Haley's offense which did have some bizarre calls yesterday, but the bottom line is that they put the team in a position to win and the defense couldn't hold their end of the bargain.

Further, the decision that killed the team was the onside kick with 2:15 left.  That was a terrible coaching decision that essentially lost the football game.  

I don't see how Tomlin can escape that loss without any heat from the organization going forward.  I see several changes with the Steelers this year.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I'm not a Steelers fan so I could care less - but the coaching yesterday by Mike Tomlin was absolutely atrocious.  I'm sorry but his team came out flat.  There is no way that the talent on the Steeler defense, should surrender 45 points to Jacksonville.  People want to complain about Todd Haley's offense which did have some bizarre calls yesterday, but the bottom line is that they put the team in a position to win and the defense couldn't hold their end of the bargain.

Further, the decision that killed the team was the onside kick with 2:15 left.  That was a terrible coaching decision that essentially lost the football game.  

I don't see how Tomlin can escape that loss without any heat from the organization going forward.  I see several changes with the Steelers this year.

Why not just opine in the already-existing thread about Tomlin?

Edited by Gugny

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I don' t see any whining.

TSW is already flooded with stupid, unnecessary and duplicate threads.  It's happening at a rate faster than the mods can keep up with (no fault of theirs), so why not do some self-policing and keep the place clean?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don' t see any whining.

TSW is already flooded with stupid, unnecessary and duplicate threads.  It's happening at a rate faster than the mods can keep up with (no fault of theirs), so why not do some self-policing and keep the place clean?

Thank God for people like you! :huh:

Edited by dwight in philly
  • Haha (+1) 1

Mike Tomlin is an average coach that simply got lucky in Pittsburgh inheriting Bill Cowher and Dick LeBeau's defense and a young franchise QB.

Put him on the Bills in recent years and he's no different than a Rex Ryan (who might actually be a better HC considering what he's done without a QB).

I wonder just how much of it was Mike Tomlin's doing. 

I have been under the impression his headset was never plugged in. 

I can see him doing well in all aspects except schematics/play calling. I remember his 1st couple of years there...never said a word, not involved with the other coaches on the sideline and the booth. 

Not every HC has to make up a scheme and call plays. He just needs to have the players behind him while the OC/DC do their jobs. 

32 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Mike Tomlin is an average coach that simply got lucky in Pittsburgh inheriting Bill Cowher and Dick LeBeau's defense and a young franchise QB.

Put him on the Bills in recent years and he's no different than a Rex Ryan (who might actually be a better HC considering what he's done without a QB).

I think you’re correct, except for the Rex Ryan reference.

Rex was an absolute joke

2 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I would say I have to agree with this 100%.

7 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

It's not Tomlin's fault that the heart of his defence was ripped out of its chest when Shazier went down. 

If the loss of a single player makes an entire defense collapse since his exit, then the problem is larger than we think. 

• Like (+1) 1

...he is not going anywhere....this is the model franchise.....non-meddlesome owners (Pegula is non-meddlesome IMO), 3 HC's in 48 years and SIX Lombardis on the shelf......they roll with the ebbs and flows of this fickle game.....playoffs some years?...of course....miss other years?......of course again.......throw in Colbert as their GM for 17 years as yet another tidbit of franchise stability versus rash decisions......hate them all you want, but the Pats are in the same class..........

Being a Steelers fan I'd say there is going to be heat on Tomlin for the mere fact that even though Big Ben states he'll be back next season, the window is closing fast with him so there is pressure to win now and this is a talented Steelers roster, which is why they had a 1st round bye. The offense put up 42 points against a top 5 Jags defense, The defense has been the achilles heel of the team all year, they lost alot when Shazier went down but it's no excuse to give up huge points to Bortles, although this year may be Blakes coming out party as a top QB? Like Matt Ryan last year? I was fine with the onside kick, Bortles was carving the defense apart and I'm sure Tomlin was thinking the special teams had a better chance than the soft defense, just all my opinions.