Brian Daboll hired as new OC

Estro

It’s a concerning hire and there’s no reason to believe it’s a good one yet. The guy has been around the block but he doesn’t really have any pelts on the wall that are his trophies. Sure he had success with the Pats and as Bama’s OC but Bama is the most talented team in college. His NFL record isn’t inspiring. I know there were bad QBs he coached but he doesn’t have a year in the NFL where he can say ‘look at the lemonade I made out of this crap roster.’

59 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When was the last time Alabama drafted a franchise QB?

You must have missed the 2nd half of the college championship. 

Fair point, but I’m considering the entire body of Daboll’s work as both a pro and college coach. It points to him being a conservative play caller. 

15 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Well Patriots fans say he was one of the two favorites... He had been a Belichick guy since early 2000s. He even followed Eric Mangini from Browns to Jets... After they left New England.

Thanks.  Another poster had a brief article/link confirming the Daboll-Belichick interest.  I wasn't trying to express deep skepticism.  Just wasn't sure what level of certitude should be attached the rumor.  Lots of folks here do not seem enamored with the pick.  I think generally a good qb can make most offensive schemes look at least reasonably good.  So, I surmise how well we fill the qb position will determine a lot of Daboll's future success.

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

It’s a concerning hire and there’s no reason to believe it’s a good one yet. The guy has been around the block but he doesn’t really have any pelts on the wall that are his trophies. Sure he had success with the Pats and as Bama’s OC but Bama is the most talented team in college. His NFL record isn’t inspiring. I know there were bad QBs he coached but he doesn’t have a year in the NFL where he can say ‘look at the lemonade I made out of this crap roster.’

So who did you want? Or who would you like who has pelts all over his walls?

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Fair point, but I’m considering the entire body of Daboll’s work as both a pro and college coach. It points to him being a conservative play caller. 

I think you have to take into account what playing with a lead does to your play calling. Only Madden jockeys like to go balls out for 60 minutes.

I'd just like to point out that there really were no names being thrown around that haven't been fired at some point. Wait and see is probably the best way to go on this hire. I know it's the offseason and everyone is looking for things to have strong opinions on, but I just don't think a handful of seasons that are relatively far-removed can be used to condemn the guy.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

Someone young but with experience, someone with championships but not on a good team where winning comes easy, someone who's never been fired, or lost a game, or even has to go to the bathroom. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

I didn’t have a dog in the hunt. I’m just saying I’m trying to find something to point to about Daboll to where I can say, ‘this guy was a good hire because he did _____’ and I got nothing to fill that blank and that’s concerning. 

It doesn’t mean he sucks, it just means if he’s a great OC he’s kept that secret to himself thus far. 

It also sounds like he’s a “pound the rock” kinda guy and I’m just so sick of pounding the rock. 

18 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Promoted to head coach in one year.

Let that sink in.

Promoted to head coach in one year.

I had that argument with Rush every time and its not worth continuing.

Even though Lynn got promoted to a HC, in his mind he thinks Lynn got fired because the Bills didn't hire him as the head coach.

It literally makes no sense

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The_Dude said:

I didn’t have a dog in the hunt. I’m just saying I’m trying to find something to point to about Daboll to where I can say, ‘this guy was a good hire because he did _____’ and I got nothing to fill that blank and that’s concerning. 

It doesn’t mean he sucks, it just means if he’s a great OC he’s kept that secret to himself thus far. 

It also sounds like he’s a “pound the rock” kinda guy and I’m just so sick of pounding the rock. 

Isn't the "pound the rock" philosophy a product of the place we play though? I might be wrong, but doesn't conventional thinking state that colder climate stadiums without a roof and swirling winds are tougher places for passing teams?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

How would you call plays with Brady Quinn at the helm?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

You need to get a little "skin in the game" , say who you would have hired if it isn't Daboll. Otherwise, hard to take seriously.