Bill's

Bigstu

New User, really like where the Bill's are compared to this time last year. If we have another draft like last year and handle free agents right, we will not only be in the playoffs but ready to do something once we are there

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Norwood for Wall of Fame said:

The custom here is to drop the apostrophe when writing "Bills"

It's not just custom. It's proper punctuation. "Bills" is the team name. "Bill"s" indicates something that belongs to Bill. If you were talking about something that belongs to the Buffalo Bills, it would be written as Bills'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not just custom. It's proper punctuation. "Bills" is the team name. "Bill"s" indicates something that belongs to Bill. If you were talking about something that belongs to the Buffalo Bills, it would be written as Bills'

Maybe he's talking about something that Zay Jones might have dropped.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You are punctilious. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Wow tough crowd but point taken it is the Bills. I do believe that next year with a new QB and his surgery Jones will be much improved as well all the other receivers. Great Quarterbacks make receivers great. Just look at how Brady turns average receivers into stars.

1 hour ago, Bigstu said:

Wow tough crowd but point taken it is the Bills. I do believe that next year with a new QB and his surgery Jones will be much improved as well all the other receivers. Great Quarterbacks make receivers great. Just look at how Brady turns average receivers into stars.

Maybe a tough crowd, but it has more to do with the thread than the grammatical error. Folks around here are easily intoxicated by anger at what are considered useless or redundant threads.

I've gotten used to it.

If you care to avoid all the brouhaha, don't start threads unless you have breaking news not already posted or a truly novel thread. I'm not trashing you or the board, but that's how it is around here. Or claim to be/have a source, then you could get a thread with 5000 responses (not excluding myself, I posted in that thread too)

Also, you can edit thread titles...

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Buffalo's Bills

hows that?

1 hour ago, Bigstu said:

This is a great board, welcome. Read the terms of service just to make sure you know what is allowed and what is not. For starters, your post titles need to be more descriptive. 'Bills' says nothing about what your post is about. 

Yes, there are some tough guys on this board but they keep the board senile, something you will value if you stick around long enough. 

This is the best Bills discussion board, bar none. (Dont forget to bow to the founder and chief, SDS)

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That is correct if you are referring the Bills belonging to the city.

of course i am correct.

2 minutes ago, Jamie Muellers Ghost said:

Thanks for reminding me to pay my electric bill this week.

oh shoot !

The Bills are in so much better shape now than a year ago, it's like we have moved into an alternate universe - seriously.  We made the playoffs with a first year first time head coach.  A year ago, we weren't sure what it would look like but had to figure we would have a brand new offensive and defensive scheme.  We had a terrible salary cap situation.  On to of that we had a 17 year playoff drought and pundits suggesting Buffalo would win maybe 4 games.  Now we have a head coach with a year under his belt.  We'll be keeping the same defensive scheme, and will presumably be better at it.  We ditched the OC who was not sufficiently effective.  We have a bunch of high draft picks.  The only thing that has not improved is the uncertainty at QB.  We're a little more sure the future doesn't include Tyrod, but we don't know much more about it.

By the way, welcome Bigstu.  I won't say a thing about your command of the English language.

5 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is a great board, welcome. Read the terms of service just to make sure you know what is allowed and what is not. For starters, your post titles need to be more descriptive. 'Bills' says nothing about what your post is about. 

Yes, there are some tough guys on this board but they keep the board senile, something you will value if you stick around long enough. 

This is the best Bills discussion board, bar none. (Dont forget to bow to the founder and chief, SDS)

?

19 hours ago, Bigstu said:

You can edit the title, just click the little "edit" button at the bottom of your post. Lose the apostrophe, gain some admirers.

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well, that was my point but I didn't want to sound like a dick.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Correcting people in an online forum is kinda dickish. But there is also just defending the English language. 

Am I the only person who feels like his English grammar skills are diminishing year after year as a result of constantly immersing myself in online forums like this?    (where public abominations of the english language are commonplace)    It rubs off on you a little more each time the longer you expose yourself to it.

I knows I'ze kan't b.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Am I the only person who feels like his English grammar skills are diminishing year after year as a result of constantly immersing myself in online forums like this?    (where public abominations of the english language are commonplace)    It rubs off on you a little more each time the longer you expose yourself to it.

I knows I'ze kan't b.

Didn't we learn most of this stuff in grammar school? Not saying we should be grammar and spelling Nazis (after all, I did just type "kinda" instead of "kind of") but I'm not sitting back when people write "common man" when they mean "c'mon man!"

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

I knows I'ze kan't b.

Our own President can't speak English.  We are letting kids graduate from COLLEGE (not even High School) who lack basic grammar skills.  40-60% of the THREAD TITLES (let alone the posts) on TSW are riddled with grammatical mistakes.

I find it amazing that so many people think that gender-neutral bathrooms and safe spaces on college campuses are a bigger threat to our society than the widespread decline in basic reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Our own President can't speak English.  We are letting kids graduate from COLLEGE (not even High School) who lack basic grammar skills.  40-60% of the THREAD TITLES (let alone the posts) on TSW are riddled with grammatical mistakes.

I find it amazing that so many people think that gender-neutral bathrooms and safe spaces on college campuses are a bigger threat to our society than the widespread decline in basic reading, writing, and arithmetic.

The thing I find fascinating with grammar is that, if you speak properly and clearly, grammar becomes much easier.   You simply write as you would speak.   For the most part, your grammar is going to be pretty good.    I used to pride myself on my spelling ability growing up.   It was something that came very easy to me.   Generally, I just spelled things how I pronounced them.     Now I find myself constantly questioning every friggin thing.    It sucks.    Grammar is something you should get better at with age because of years of perfecting it.

American English is becoming more and more bastardized over time.   If enough people keep screwing words up - they just add the new "bastard" version to the dictionary.  :o

Before you know it, all conversations are just one bastard talking to another bastard. :D

On 1/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, Bigstu said:

New User, really like where the Bill's are compared to this time last year. If we have another draft like last year and handle free agents right, we will not only be in the playoffs but ready to do something once we are there

You joined 4 years ? Where have you been?