Bills' WR Corps DFL in the NFL in Separation with the Ball in the Air

1 hour ago, Luka said:

Well when you turn your back on a play and run to one side of the field or the other, you're already giving the defense half the field to cover. And when you finally do release the ball, most of the routes have ended and it's just guys running around.

I would say it's the opposite, when QBs extend the play that's when you see receivers get wide open. Tyrod has made that happen more than a few times. A common belief about Tyrod is he waits until receivers become college open before he throws the ball, but this statistic proves that is way off. Anyone can look at the film and see the receivers aren't getting separation. Not that it matters, Tyrod will be gone next year and hopefully we have a better receiving corps.

• Like (+1) 1

Also: what is this supposed to prove? On this chart, New England and Detroit are 29th and 30th while being the 2nd and 6th most productive passing offenses respectively. Pittsburgh and Chicago have the exact same separation distance but are polar opposites in terms of the pass game. Same with New Orleans and Baltimore...what exactly are we supposed draw from this stat?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Also: what is this supposed to prove? On this chart, New England and Detroit are 29th and 30th while being the 2nd and 6th most productive passing offenses respectively. Pittsburgh and Chicago have the exact same separation distance but are polar opposites in terms of the pass game. Same with New Orleans and Baltimore...what exactly are we supposed draw from this stat?

One more year !! 275px-Tyrod_Taylor_2016.jpg

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ok I think there is more to this that you are missing and I will give you some examples.

1. Checking down the ball a lot.

2. Separation is down field more then within 10 yard throws

3. Tyrod throwing to wrong Receivers. How many times did he throw to a receiver short and see people wide open down field?

4. How many passes did Taylor throw deep this year?

5. This is the important one. Injuries. How beat up was our WR core to those that are higher on the list?

I value much of what you post and usually I read and have good reads and let it be but not on this one. To many variables to just say how bad our WR's are because of this statistic.

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Ok I think there is more to this that you are missing and I will give you some examples.

3. Tyrod throwing to wrong Receivers. How many times did he throw to a receiver short and see people wide open down field?

5. This is the important one. Injuries. How beat up was our WR core to those that are higher on the list?

I value much of what you post and usually I read and have good reads and let it be but not on this one. To many variables to just say how bad our WR's are because of this statistic.

These are non-factors in what the numbers represent.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

How about the fact that separation isn't really useful in determining anything other than, you know...the distance between the wideout and the DB. So yes, a guy like Tyreek Hill is going to get more separation than your average WR because he runs a lot of go routes and is one of the fastest players in the league, whereas I'd wager Kelce's separation distance is next to nil...which doesn't mean anything except they're different players who are doing different things. Larry Fitzgerald probably doesn't have much separation distance and it doesn't matter because he's so sophisticated at playing leverage, while Marquise Goodwin probably has a ton because he's quick but has below average physicality and technique. 

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Is this for every receiver on every route or only those receivers that were targeted? Several very good teams with great QBs toward the bottom of that list. Just goes to show how a great QB can make their receivers look good. 

3 hours ago, hemma said:

5 yard passes don't require a whole lot of separation.

Yeah, that is a statistic that needs to be examined in context.  You are right.  If your QB is making mostly short passes defensive backs will not be playing off coverage that often because they don't want to be that far away when you catch the ball.  The other fact that may be related is that Tyrod takes more time to release the ball than any other QB.  I'm hearing commentators all the time saying that because Tyrod took so much time finding a receiver, the DB had an opportunity to recover when he had been beaten.  It is possible that receivers are culpable too in the failure to have separation when the ball is passed, and there could be other factors as well, but this stat by no means lets Tyrod off the hook.  

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Our WRs suck. No ****.

Of course this turned into a Tyrod sucks thread some how.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This thread isn't about him at all even though some will inevitably attempt to hijack it into one. 

As predicted. 

3 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Hmm... I wonder hw that works with a conservative QB who doesn’t force into tight windows? 

Or does it imply everyone played man coverage? 

Im not sure exactly what it means but it’s a nifty stat and it means something unflattering about our offense, route trees, opposing coverage concepts or wr ability

Is that all receivers at time of throw or just the target? How is it measured? 

Theres a lot missing from this nifty stat but it’s not shocking that a relatively slow group with multiple guys joining mid year starting by year end would not rate highly 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Passing in tight coverage does work?